When the truth confronts, absurdity is sure to follow"

Discussion in 'More Serious Topics' started by ucicare, Dec 8, 2004.

?

Do you like the truth?

1. Yes

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. No

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Only when it confirms my preconceived ideas

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Don't confuse me

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. ucicare

ucicare Active Member

To me, there is a big difference. Pro-Abortion means that someone looks at abortion in a favorable way. As a form or birth control, or population control, etc. The Chinese Government is Pro Abortion. They do not give people a choice. The second pregnacy is to be terminated, no matter what the mother wants.

Pro-Choice (to me) means that the person believes in the Woman's right o choose what happens to her body. They do not view abortion as a good thing, but rather as an option that is available. I am somewhat Pro-Choice. I just have a problem with people minimizing the act of abortion into something that is insignificant. (Just a fetus). Just call the act what it is.

Barry

2. smiles

smiles New Member

actually they don’t terminate the pregnancy they just raise your taxes and such... if u keep having kids they'll sterilize your ass, i've never heard of them actually forcing an abortion

on another note barry this is where you apply your own personal views on to someone else, you can never see it their way and they will likely never see it yours, why? because it involves a complete paradigm shift, it’s not a discussion which will get anyone anywhere, it’s like a “tits or ass conversation?” (clearly ass but that’s besides the point)

3. MEDICVET

MEDICVET New Member

here goes my first attempt at postin a pic..I'm hopin not to get the 'dreaded red x', and at least have the link to the pic show up. It pretty much sums up my feelings on the matter. Also I include a link to my faith.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v149/amvet91alpha/statement pics/religioussheep.bmp

okay, don't know if it's going to be a pic, a link, or a red x, but am keeping my fingers crossed that it's not the latter.

now here is the link: www.uua.org

my next post on this thread will address some of the issues brought up in this thread in a more specific manner.

4. ucicare

ucicare Active Member

Oh my God. Medicvet has awakened the sleeping giant.

Barry

5. ucicare

ucicare Active Member

I'll post the picture for you. I agree totally with the message.

The giant is stirring. Be afraid.

Barry

6. MEDICVET

MEDICVET New Member

(sigh) well at least it wasn't a red x. and I have absolutely no idea how to put a pic on here now. oh well.

In Japan they have a buddhist ceremony where a woman who has either miscarried or had an abortion can light a candle and say a prayer for her unborn child. There is no condemnation if it is an abortion, and the religion respects the fact that it is a deeply personal and difficult choice, and neither belittles the woman nor takes it lightly. I wish more believed along those lines.

I believe in a supreme being, and that we have every right in the world to question the actions of this supreme being. After all, didn't Jacob wrestle with God according to some interpretations? And the old testament is part of three of the world's major religions.

I do not believe that those who do not believe in a specific manner are doomed to an eternity of torment. My God is a little bit bigger than all that petty bullshit, and realizes that it is what in a person's heart that matters, not which service they either are raised up to believe or have come to believe. To think that God limits God to only a specific faith is to belittle God.

I do not follow a strictly creationist viewpoint of how the earth was created, and think that Stephen Hawking has some pretty damn interesting ideas. I find it fascinating that the closer learned people get to the 'pure' science of metaphysics, the more spiritual their beliefs, and the more certain they are in the existence of a supreme being.

The ancient Greeks, with all their squabbling all to human gods and goddesses, still recognized that there was something bigger than all that. Temples to the deities would include a place with no statue representing this Deity to the "Unknown God". I find that both reassuring and humorous. Now that's what I call 'covering all yer bases'. ;)

7. MEDICVET

MEDICVET New Member

(sigh) well at least it wasn't a red x. and I have absolutely no idea how to put a pic on here now. oh well.

In Japan they have a buddhist ceremony where a woman who has either miscarried or had an abortion can light a candle and say a prayer for her unborn child. There is no condemnation if it is an abortion, and the religion respects the fact that it is a deeply personal and difficult choice, and neither belittles the woman nor takes it lightly. I wish more believed along those lines.

I believe in a supreme being, and that we have every right in the world to question the actions of this supreme being. After all, didn't Jacob wrestle with God according to some interpretations? And the old testament is part of three of the world's major religions.

I do not believe that those who do not believe in a specific manner are doomed to an eternity of torment. My God is a little bit bigger than all that petty bullshit, and realizes that it is what in a person's heart that matters, not which service they either are raised up to believe or have come to believe. To think that God limits God to only a specific faith is to belittle God.

I do not follow a strictly creationist viewpoint of how the earth was created, and think that Stephen Hawking has some pretty damn interesting ideas. I find it fascinating that the closer learned people get to the 'pure' science of metaphysics, the more spiritual their beliefs, and the more certain they are in the existence of a supreme being.

The ancient Greeks, with all their squabbling all to human gods and goddesses, still recognized that there was something bigger than all that. Temples to the deities would include a place with no statue representing this Deity to the "Unknown God". I find that both reassuring and humorous. Now that's what I call 'covering all yer bases'. ;)

8. MEDICVET

MEDICVET New Member

sorry about the double post there.

let me try the pic thing one more time:

hope this works. knowing me I might have made it worse and actually produced a red x this time, lol. :D

and ty for postin the pic, barry.

9. ucicare

ucicare Active Member

Try the "preview" button before you hit submit to make sure the page looks right.

www.UUA.org huh? Well what do you know. You and Nursey go to the same Church.

Barry

10. MEDICVET

MEDICVET New Member

fuck.

I had a very long response to that and then my computer crashed. :evil: I am ready to kill something now, or at least patch up a wound without the benefit of an enesthetic.

Suffice it to say that the UU church is a true 'all faith' one and welcomes a broad spectrum of people and their ways.

11. MEDICVET

MEDICVET New Member

and I fucking wish there was an edit button to allow me to correct grammatica and/or spelling errors after the fact.

But at least I get to fucking cuss without putting a quarter in a jar to give to the kids. :wink:

12. MEDICVET

MEDICVET New Member

grammatical*

13. ucicare

ucicare Active Member

FYI- I was not being critical, just making an observation.

Barry

14. Samanthasez

Samanthasez New Member

A Thurberism!

Sixty minutes of thinking of any kind is bound to lead to confusion and unhappiness.

[/quote]

15. MEDICVET

MEDICVET New Member

Re: A Thurberism!

[/quote]

well that explains my major depressive disorder then. THANKS! :)

16. Schmed

Schmed New Member

"In religion and politics people's beliefs and convictions are in
    almost every case gotten at second-hand, and without examination."

17. Schmed

Schmed New Member

oops, forgot to credit it...Mark Twain

18. Samanthasez

Samanthasez New Member

LOL...glad that helped, Amy...

and...I DID credit it: James Thurber :p

19. MEDICVET

MEDICVET New Member

my favorite story by Thurber is 'the secret life of walter mitty'. Matter of fact it's one of my screen names at a chatroom i sometimes go to. ;)