TV Q & Sale Q & damage Q

Discussion in 'Technology' started by BIGMAMA, Dec 22, 2008.

1. BIGMAMA

BIGMAMA New Member

Ok so a few weeks ago I bought a 32" Sharp LCD tv for my bedroom. I found it odd, because when changing channels up-down it would go 4, 5, 6.1, 6.2, 7, 8, 9, 9.1, 9.2 so on and so on. The channels that were like 6.2 said digital under it and it would be a very clear version of another channel.

OK so the soon to be X asshole comes by while we were at the airport, and takes the big living room TV ... so I moved my bedroom tv in there, figured I would wait till after Xmas for good deals to buy another big one for the living room... There it has a box from Comcast and gets all the channels. In my bedroom, it was just screwed into the cable- no box- no movie channels. Just basic local, VHI, MTV , E type channels...and no guide button to browse

Now in the living room with the box it does not have those 6.2 type channels. And it is not as clear as it was in my bedroom...seems lighter.
    Why is that? how do I get those channels back, do I have to do away with the box thingy? I want the digital channels and the guide button... is it possible. Do I have an outdated box and new digital one? I am seriously a technology tard. Does anyone know what I am talking about- am I making any sense... I tried explaining it to Comcast and they have no idea WTF I trying to say... and said "you want a service tech to come out, and the cable is working?" ARRRGG

Am I correct in thinking right after Xmas there will be big mark downs? I still have my crunchy sounding computer and figured those will go down in price after Xmas as well. Or are they marked down as far as it gets right now?

When I go to replace the big TV - what do you think is better LCD or Plasma.
    I am not rich enough or stupid enough to replace it with what we had... top of the line 60" Panasonic plasma... I am pissed that he took it. How could I discretely fuck it up... could I walk by it at his new house with a strong magnet or something like that?
    I know he did not move it by himself ... so I am more pissed that he let someone come into my house. I also want to fuck it up because he just called to ask "are your eyes hurting from trying to see that shitty little TV"

2. Nauseous

Nauseous Active Member

What a dick. What kind of tv was the old one? I would like to research a good way to fuck it up w/o it looking like you did anything.

My best guess...

The box will probably never display 6.1 etc. It's already converting the signal for you, instead of the digital tuner in your tv doing it like it was doing in your bedroom. You are still getting a digital signal though.

The only thing I can think of with your LR tv is that maybe the cable has been split a few times and it's affecting your signal. The tv in my LR has a few channels that have lines through them because it's been split between the internet and another television. I had to do it that way for the time being, because I wanted it mounted to the wall so badly. Each time the cable gets split, it will hurt the quality of your picture a little. I only notice it on BET and HGTV and Disney, so no loss for me.

I wouldn't go plasma. They have a life span on them.

What is that website guys? newegg.com? You might start checking there after X-mas for some deals.

3. BIGMAMA

BIGMAMA New Member

his is a 60"plasma panasonic - I have never wanted to fuck something up so bad. He kept laughing at my little TV put in its spot. "haha its so tiny" My reply = "yeah its small, but I will get use to it....hey I got use to your small penis after having a huge one for 5 years"

I never went there before- and I felt that was good time. The gloves are off these days... I have a feeling we are going to make the movie "War of the Roses" look like a love story.

4. Nauseous

Nauseous Active Member

It is a fact that plasma television screens are extremely delicate and fragile. They cannot survive if toys, remote controllers, or any hard object strike them. This is why you don't want a plasma.

If a hard object strikes the screen, hundreds of individual gas-filled tubes instantly lose their ability to glow. Replacing all of those elements is a time-consuming and expensive process, if it can be done at all. Owners of plasma TV systems should always consider purchasing insurance and extended warranties, since the most common fix appears to be total replacement of the screen. Because the gas forming the plasma can leak or become less reactive to electrical charges, plasma TV systems do have a limited shelf life. It may take several years before a noticeable change in picture quality, but the cumulative effects are similar to what happens in neon and fluorescent lighting-eventually the gas inside the tube will begin to flicker instead of burning steadily.

5. Lomotil

Lomotil Active Member

If you get more channels without the box, chuck the box.

Hook it straight up to the line, and it should perform just as it did in the bedroom.

(No, that was not intentionally meant to sound dirty.)

6. BIGMAMA

BIGMAMA New Member

yeah but then I can't hit the Guide button, and browse what is on... I have to watch the TV channel that is SOOOO slow.

7. phatboy

phatboy New Member

I have had my Vizio 42" LCD for over 2 years now and I am a huge fan of Vizio. We didnt go by reviews and all when we bought it. We went to the store, Sam's, and they had a bunch of them all playing the same movie, I think it was 'the incredibles' and we just picked the one that had the best image. They had a 50" one at the time as well, but that would have dwarfed our fireplace and probably would have pulled the wall down.....

We dont really watch TV in the bedroom so we have a puny little 17" LCD in there.

When we have our house built maybe we will look into a bigger TV for the bedroom, like a 32", but that is a couple of years away.

Plasmas burn out, from what Ive read, I believe our Vizio came with a 20,000 hour warranty on the pixels, or whatever, so Im not too worried about it.

:)