To Bully the scientific community to validate bugus theory

Discussion in 'More Serious Topics' started by Joeslogic, May 31, 2006.

1. Joeslogic

Joeslogic Active Member

About 55 million years ago, the Arctic was downright tropical

But create a little hysteria like this. Poison Ivy Itchier, More Plentiful With Warming, Study Says

And all sorts of Smurf types will validate the findings with stories of allergic reactions more terrible than before as well as Poison oak trees. (poison oak like sunburn, and dry heaves from a drinking binge will always tend to make a person believe they never had it as bad before.)

Then threaten people in the scientific community to validate their wacky theory or be out of a job. 'GLOBAL WARMING' PROTESTERS CALL FOR RESIGNATION OF HURRICANE CENTER DIRECTOR

Influence the impressionable and primed by their teachers minds of high school children. Beverly Hills School sends kids tp Gores enviro flick

2. ucicare

ucicare Active Member

Re: To Bully the scientific community to validate bugus theo

I saw the more powerful poison ivy article yesterday, and I about blew a gasket. It ran in our local paper next to a headline that read " Hurricane season may produce eight strong storms."

People are so stupid. Even if poison ivy was "itcher" why is that the fault of global warming or green house gasses? If the theory of evolution is right (and I don't think it is) then poison ivy SHOULD be getting itcher. It's toxitity is it's defense, right? Wouldn't the law of evolution say that the stronger, itcher plants are more likely to survive, and thus perpetuate themselves?

And the lunacy of predicting "8 strong hurricanes" escapes me. If you look at averages, that is about the average for the last few thousand years. Why all of a sudden is it news?

I hate the liberal media. Sensational and controversial sells.

Bary

3. Joeslogic

Joeslogic Active Member

For the next few years it will develop into frenzy. It will always be a dilemma that requires the people to evoke a change. And what will the change be that will ultimately provide relief to the cowering and frightened masses?

First they have to take more polls and when they have accomplished more than 50 percent of the public falling for it then the hammer falls.

4. smurfslappa

smurfslappa New Member

Damn, I remember a time when the media was sensational because sensational stories sold, instead of it being because they were liberal. They used to report real news also. Who the hell thinks the liberals have taken over? The corporate greed still runs deep, and stories about real investigations hardly ever make the news.

I mean, who the hell do you dumbasses think you're kidding? I swear, I ache every time I read some of what you guys have to say. It's like a deep hollow feeling in my gut because I'm reminded of how the majority of Americans still think.

Liberal media.... hmmmm... Remember when the milk story was blowing up, and they were talking about the dangers of all the hormones they were giving the cows. Remember how the reporter's story was changed over and over, and eventually they were fired? Also rememeber how they sued their employers, FOX News, for changing the report so bad they were lying... and how all the other major media corporations jumped on board in support of basically a defense saying that they should be allowed to report false news if they want to? and how they won?

I also don't remember hearing anything about all the other CIA agents whose cover was blown when Valerie Plame was leaked. Damn there's just so much you never hear about.

5. smiles

smiles New Member

Re: To Bully the scientific community to validate bugus theo

damn joe you're so right...... damn the liberals and their wacky theories about species "extinctions" and "ecological sustainability" we all know that all of the dirt we spill into the water, release into the air, and burry in the ground just gets absorbed by the earth and gets converted into bad karma for terrorists

6. diogenes

diogenes New Member

Sensationalism sells. That's the bottom line. To say that it's only liberals that are using it is ridiculous. Remember the Clinton scandal. They were all over that like flies on shit. I'll agree that the media is stupid, but to say that it's liberal denies the stupidity of conservativism in the media as well.

7. Joeslogic

Joeslogic Active Member

Long time no see Smiles hope you are learning the truth at that school you are going to.

I hate it that the streams get polluted more then any other environmental concern. I think the best solution is an honest and straightforward approach. It is not something I shrug off as complete bullshit. For example let me give you and idea of bullshit lip service and a real approach to improving on a problem.

A politician runs for an office campaigns on environmental issues. Says he is going to crackdown on environmental polluting, with extreme fanfare applauses by the Greenpeace group, he signs into law a local ordinance that brings extremely heavy fines on individuals who throw their uses car oil away with their trash something that local studies indicate is a real big problem. Suddenly there is less oil in the trash. The city sewer system is a different story however as people either throw their oil into the gutter, woods, or creek.

The problem is that people who cannot afford to have their oil done at quick lube are stuck with oil that they have to do something with. The fix is to provide an easier way for people to do the correct thing.

Where I live every Tuesday there is a pickup of bulk trash provided on the front curb. You can stick a used fridge out there doesn't matter the city has private contract services that pick it up as well as City provided services. And guess what? We have very little polluting of out creeks.

We have to be logical and approach the situations at hand in a reasonable manner. It is very important that we look at REAL cause and effect to come up with real answers.

8. diogenes

diogenes New Member

I can see where you're coming from Joe, but you're ignoring a large part of the equation. Pollution comes from a tremendous variety of sources, and in the case of streams the MTBE they put in gasoline alone can pollute just as bad as motor oil. Not to mention sulfur emissions from coal fired power plants, and various other sources. Enforcement is part of the issue, as is free market solutions. I never trust a politician, republican or democrat, who calls for tough new laws where enforcing the old ones would be perfectly adequate.

9. Joeslogic

Joeslogic Active Member

I second everything your saying except I would be careful about the mtbe part of the equation. The talk swirling around about it may or may not be legit I'm skeptical because it is one of the latest catch phrases. Worth looking into meanwhile I understand that alcohol as an alternative additive looks very promising. I understand there are some legitimate logistics concerns however.

10. diogenes

diogenes New Member

Ethanol has a ton of logistics problems, which is why gas is 40 cents per gallon more in california then anywhere else in the country. The MTBE has been floating around for years. I've been reading up on it since 2000. It's not media hype, it's actually a problem. How big of a problem is still a debate, but the fact that it's turning up in water and it's toxic is not doubted. At least by me.

11. Joeslogic

Joeslogic Active Member

No easy answers thats for sure.

12. diogenes

diogenes New Member

Question is, can we afford to be wrong in this case. I'm not a fan of gambling with something I'm not willing to lose. In this case, drinking water.

13. Joeslogic

Joeslogic Active Member

There is only one correct answer. It’s like the theory of relativity. Every misinformed knee-jerk reaction just gets us more deep in the bullshit mess we are in. Honest research and speculation is healthy however, junk science and scare tactic innuendo is bad. Let's look at all of the inconvenient theories. And not call a theory truth.

14. diogenes

diogenes New Member

No argument there. My question still stands though. Especially in the case of global warming. We can afford to be wrong in assuming it does exist and taking steps to prepare for that contingency. Can we afford the inverse?

15. Joeslogic

Joeslogic Active Member

If we found out the uni-bomber was right and technology is the real blame. (Refer to the Consciousness thread compassion = consciousness, curiosity/technology = forbidden fruit) Is there anyway to reverse what we have started?

16. diogenes

diogenes New Member

Nope. Nitrogen fixation alone is a technology that if we got rid of it would lead to the death and starvation of around 5 billion people.

17. Joeslogic

Joeslogic Active Member

Scarry but it seems that we already have reached the point of no return. I agree we should do what we can the environment is a real and serious issue. Any politician guilty of hijacking the issue for gain and milking the problem without real intent on providing a resolution needs to be hung on a rope. The first indication is knowingly manipulating the facts provided to the people.

18. diogenes

diogenes New Member

We wouldn't have any politicians left.

19. smurfslappa

smurfslappa New Member

Well boohoo Joe. You sound like the kind of guy who was dissing on all the Earth-first hippies, telling them that the Earth was still a really big place and that we had a long way to go before anything serious would be happening. Thanks to your carefree generation of idiots with no foresight whatsoever, we're all going straight to Hell. Yep, our souls will stick around in Earth, mangled by all the crappy pesticides and junk food and heavy metals your generation idolized as progress. It will suck and it will be survival of the fittest in the areas of Earth that are still habitable for a bodiless soul, until the day the Earth's magnetic field completely collapses and the Earth burns up and goes into complete oven-clean mode.

20. diogenes

diogenes New Member

They really need to up your dosage.