Thinking of getting a motorcycle...

Discussion in 'Cars' started by nolo451, May 24, 2008.

1. nolo451

nolo451 New Member

Ive been looking into getting a motorcycle, something sensible for a beginner like me, maybe like a 250 cc Ninja. Anyone have any experience with bikes? Me and my two brothers are going to enroll in one of those rider courses, and they want to get new ones, but I myself probably will just get a used ninja. I havent ever set foot on one, but Im hoping its the one Im looking for. Im not looking to do any fast driving, just drive it around the city, neighboring cities, and on the highway at speeds of like 70-75 and under.

2. Fernando

Fernando Member

Get a harley, make it even noisier, drive it around town at 4am, fun ensues.

3. nolo451

nolo451 New Member

hate Harley's. I primarily want this for my daily commute of 40 miles and weekend drive of 120 miles back and forth.

4. DangerousD

DangerousD New Member

Most people think that crotch rockets are the exclusive domain of closeted latent homosexuals.

5. DangerousD

DangerousD New Member

....but whatever floats your boat.

6. nolo451

nolo451 New Member

lol, i really wouldnt care when I get to split lanes in heavy slow traffic and getting close to 60mpg.

7. JEFE

JEFE New Member

You're doing the right thing to take the motorcycle safety course. I took it last summer and learned a lot from it. In the class you'll most likely use Honda Rebel 250's or something similar to practice on and to take your test.

After the class, a friend of mine was selling a used 1985 Honda Rebel 250 and that's the first bike I got. I am looking for a bigger one now but I'm really glad I started off with something small that I could practice on.

I think you're doing the right thing by starting off with a smaller bike and, more importantly, by taking the class.

8. Joeslogic

Joeslogic Active Member

Right plan get a cheap small used bike and drive it till you can't stand it and than upgrade big. keep the little bike around for when a friend visits from out a town and you want to ride.

After O pay off my 650 Ninja I think I'll get a bigger cruiser for long rides. But keep the Ninja for having fun around town. And I would have a spare bike.

9. Lomotil

Lomotil Active Member

Insurance is dirt cheap on bikes, too, right?

10. nolo451

nolo451 New Member

cheap? I dunno about that.

11. phatboy

phatboy New Member

insurance is cheap, cause realistically, if you wreck it, it's pretty much totalled.

I wouldnt get a 250 ninja, those things are hideous and you will be wanting to get rid of it a week after having it.

A good cheap 'sport bike' is a katana, a 600 is the smallest they make and it has both upper and lower fairings and looks pretty good. Its designation is GSXF (the 'performance' suzuki is the GSXR) so if you see one advertised you will know the difference.

The katana will cost anywhere from 2k to 4500 depending on condition. It gets really good mileage and is a comfortable bike to ride. Unlike some other sport bikes that you have to lean all over and support your upper body with your arms. The 92 Katana I had I paid 2000 for and it only had 20k miles on it. The 90 750 I picked up for 2500.00

A good Yamaha is the FZR 600 Sporty and fast.

You can get a Ninja 600, that looks like the sporty bikes, but doesnt have the price tag.

An older Honda CBR f3 could be good pickup too.

If you just want to learn to ride, and you arent worried about looking like a Mo, get any early to mid 80s bike, like a Virago, pay 800.00 for it and beat the crap out of it. That way if you put it down you're not worried too much about screwing it up.

Bikes will run forever with proper maintenance. I have an 87 Fourtrax honda at the house that has been sunk in a pond/mudhole cleaned it up, put in a new stater and vroom. You cant beat a honda.

12. nolo451

nolo451 New Member

My friend keeps on telling me that as well, he has a 1000cc engine on some kind of Honda. Anyways, he woudl teach me how to ride, but he lives all the way in Florida. The thing is, I really would not want anything bigger than 250 right now, and I would hope I dont get the need for speed, I really wold like to stay on something small like that. As for insurance, Im hoping that a spotless 8 year driving record would help keep policy rates low as well as taking the MSF course.

13. Joeslogic

Joeslogic Active Member

Phat has good points in that a 250 will quickly bore the hell out of you but it is an easy learning bike. You will absolutely hate it on the freeway if you plan on doing any real freeway driving doesn’t get it.

The upside is that a used one can be found for dirt cheap if you just want something to learn on. And before getting anything new certainly a way to gage weather to REALLY will take it out as often as you think.

My 650 has plenty of power on the freeway. My big complaint is it being so lightweight and the wind gusts can be scary. Combined the wind gusts and the mile high in the single lane bridges has got me wanting a bigger bike.

14. nolo451

nolo451 New Member

What is it that makes the 250 not be that good of a bike on the freeway?

15. phatboy

phatboy New Member

It's a pile. Its underpowered for the weight, plus they are so cheap because no one wants one. Get you a quality 600 it isnt going to scare you being so powerful, and remember you are in control of how much throttle you give it, plus if you ride it a month and hate it, you can re-sell it, the 250 will sit in your garage/yard for months because noone will want to pick it up.

In my local rag these are a few of the bikes listed..

2002 YAMAHA YZF 600, 17,500miles, new tires, runs great asking $3200 obo

1999 HONDA GSX 900 yellow, good tires, must sell obo $3,500 (This is a typo I just copy and pasted the ad Honda doesnt make a GSX thats a suzuki)