the habitually late

Discussion in 'Medical Advice' started by improtected, Jul 28, 2007.

1. improtected

improtected New Member

wow - a nerve was apparantly struck. reminds me of that adhd "all or nothing behavior". you know, i could type out an entirely too-long response to your entirely too-long response, validating my post because of the work that i've done with adhd but, it would probably fly over your brain because of your lack of an attention span.

put your claws back in. i was using your post to make a sarcastic comment directed at SOMEONE ELSE.

2. Lomotil

Lomotil Active Member

Sorry about that... I was drunk, and pissed off at some circumstances, so those two events mixed and I had to play the asshole. If it matters, it made me feel a little better venting at something last night before passing out... :)

3. Lomotil

Lomotil Active Member

Again, sorry you had to feel the brunt of my rage, I can be a real condescending ass sometimes. Here's how my reply should have read:

I don't know if I speak for everybody, but for me, it is possible to learn to cope with being late - but I reserve it for things that are of utmost importance. I cannot seem to make it to work on time everyday because it's just something I have to go to. It was the same way with classes - I'd always walk in late, and if I really liked the professor, I'd feel bad because I don't want them to think I'm being disrespectful, or trying to interrupt, but on *most* test days, I would make it a point to arrive early. This served two purposes for me: Obviously, the need to be on time, and in the extra time before class, I would go over the material one last time (and often, that would be the only time I would study for the tests.) Learning and memory studies tell us that we're only using our short-term memory when we do that, but it was what was needed at the time. If a concept, discovery, or anything else that was presented in the course is important (or useful) enough, it's automatically put into my long-term memory, probably due to my aroused attention when it was discussed. It often seemed that not enough effort is put into making the actual tests, questions would tend to be asking you to remember the least important aspects of important things. Exaggerated example: "What was the name of the high school Linus Pauling went to?" - rather than a question about any of his work itself...

Honestly, who knows what's going on in my brain - this is just my theory, and I tend to think that most people understand themselves (rather, the way they operate) better than others. Then again, I'm probably arguing against the "it's easier to see the problem from the outside looking in..." theory, which I believe as well... Or, I'm comparing apples and oranges.

Wow, in 12 hours time, you've seen both the unbridled drunken rage, and the deep introspective hangover. Maybe I'll go huff some gas or something and we'll see what tone I use next time...

4. Nauseous

Nauseous Active Member

I'm glad that you weren't going all dick on us.

Do we need to have an intervention?

5. Nauseous

Nauseous Active Member

Geez... the "edit" feature is gone from my post. I was going to ask you what the hell you were talking about. I used to always type "brain" instead of "brian" but I dated a Brian a few years ago so now I get it backwards.

6. ucicare

ucicare Active Member

I really started to just stay out of this - but the reference to "AD/HD all or nothing thinking" needs correcting. That particular trait is found here - http://ezinearticles.com/?Recognizing-a-Borderline-Personality-Disorder&id=335136

People with true AD/HD are not necessarily chronically late. It is more common to misappropriate time. In other words, they will be on time for a task, but will think it can be completed in one hour instead of the actual 3 hours it really takes. Because of this time conception difficulty, they may run late to things that run concurrently on a schedule.

and if SOMEONE ELSE was me - well, I guess that negative attention is better than being ignored.

7. phatboy

phatboy New Member

Yea, well what about the habitatually late?

You think Ridalyn(SP?) would help my wife with her time management issues?

We are in the car the other night, meeting some friends for dinner, it is 6:55p.m. she is on the phone with said friends. "Yea, we will meet you there at 7:15" <click>

So I look at her, and say, "Do you really think we are going to be there at 7:15, cause it's 6:55 now"

"yea, why"

"Oh, just because we have to get the Johnsons contract signed and stop by your office and fax it to the other agent before we can actually go to the restaraunt"

"Oh, yea we should be fine"

We got there at 7:40.

:(

8. ucicare

ucicare Active Member

Hard to tell. Could be AD/HD, or It could be DU/MBASS or maybe DIT/SY.

Tell me more.

9. improtected

improtected New Member

check your pm, big bear

10. ucicare

ucicare Active Member

Thanks for the photo.

I always thought that you looked best in a skirt, but the new leather and duct tape look isn't that bad either.

11. improtected

improtected New Member

you liked that? i thought so. the next round is of me in the cage - with that little gift you gave me before.. i'll shoot them over asap.

12. ucicare

ucicare Active Member

Thanks. Now I won't sleep at all tonight. :)

Last edited: Aug 4, 2007