My neighbor has a deer lease

Discussion in 'Fizood' started by Joeslogic, Apr 19, 2009.

1. Joeslogic

Joeslogic Active Member

So the other day he says they had to much meat at the lease the cleared out the freezer. He gave me about 40 pounds of meat. Its all ground and frozen or made into either hot breakfast or Italian sausage. Of course I can make a shit load of chili and I bet the Italian sausage makes great pasta dishes like spaghetti. I'd like to hear of any good recipes for : Elk, Deer, Antelope, Mule Deer, and Wild Hog.

Oh yeah I did get some steaks. The only steaks I got were the elk steaks and they were cubed steaks so it's a no brainer those will be fried.

2. Nauseous

Nauseous Active Member

That'll be good for your cholesterol level...

3. Lomotil

Lomotil Active Member

San Antonio, TX.

All your recipe are belong to us. :biggrin:

PS: Fed EX the wild hog overnight with some dry ice - I'll dig a pit in the backyard, get some coals ready, and bury it while you make your travel arrangements. It'll give us some time to drool over what to do with the rest of the meat.

You lucky fucking bastard, you... About all I ever get out of my neighbors are yard trimmings (with the exception of that one that passes out hand-loaded ammunition...)

4. Joeslogic

Joeslogic Active Member

Actually its likely no worse than chicken. Probably better it has no chemicals just range or natural fed meat that is extremely lean.

5. Joeslogic

Joeslogic Active Member

You know Lomo I did not get the hole hog just the meat ground up. Apparently at the lease they process the game there and its a big ass lease with a lot of hunters. They keep a portion there for everyone to enjoy but the stock builds up quick. If you had asked a few weeks ago I would have made a trip down there I had a lot of time on my hands anyways. Now I'm busy as hell again. Next time I talk to my neighbor though I'm asking about the cost to hunt there. I could get real used to this. Had elk steaks chicken fried yesterday they were awesome. And elk sausage for breakfast the past two days. Today I'm gonna try the Italian blend for spaghetti.

6. Lomotil

Lomotil Active Member

Hmmm...

What's the chances of the occasional disappearance of a soccer-short wearing rich mofo when the prospect of a full-fledged BBQ (and I include Bison and marmoset in my diversity kick) occur?

7. BIGMAMA

BIGMAMA New Member

deer meat has no fat in it, sometimes at the processing place people ask for fat to be added.

my sister is always making "Bambi Helper" when she has a bunch of kids at her house. Since her son is in football, and sometimes 3-4 extra kids will be there. Her theory is "They aint eatin up all our good food" she mixes the deer meat with a few boxes off brand Hamburger Helper.

8. phatboy

phatboy New Member

Meat needs fat for flavor. Thats why a lot of steak places wont trim it off. When I worked at the processing plant (long story) they would have meat that was too lean and have to add fat to it. I never got that.

9. Joeslogic

Joeslogic Active Member

Yeah I bought the 97% fat free hamburger for burgers once that was a mistake now for burgers I try to get 85/15 at least. But for other recipes i.e. chili or spaghetti I like the lean stuff.

So far I have not tried the deer and when I do I'll say if its bad. I expected the Antelope to taste like goat but it did not it was more like beef than anything else but it was strong like somewhere between liver and a sirloin.

The elk was made like a cubed steak and not as strong as the antelope and it was freaking awesome I ate three steaks and gave one to the wife. She ate half and put the rest in the fridge which I ate the next morning. I would say it was better or dead even with a beef cubed steak fried.

Yesterday was my day off the “game meat” because I had some sirloin burgers and hotdogs I needed to cook. But today I make spaghetti with the Italian sausage and off hand I cannot remember what it was I thawed out but there was hog elk and antelope. The sausage I believe has fat blended in but it still leaves precious little in the pan when you fry it. I’ll have to ask Jim. Apparently they way it works is he is a co-owner of the lease and they process everything there it’s really a big ass ranch with no domestic animals. I know they do that, as a matter of fact on the way to Lost Maples we passed some place with a big ass fence for probably a few miles and it had some African looking antelope on it I stopped and took a shitty as picture of one horns like two feet long. Who ever owned that place had some money cause a fence like that isn’t cheap.

10. Joeslogic

Joeslogic Active Member

So let me see ... your a mercenary ready to take out some yuppy / preppy type with a name like Buffy. And will provide your services to ensure the dissaperance of said "soccer-short wearing rich mofo" for wild game?

11. GAS

GAS New Member

Make some deer chili, pretty self explanatory.

Deelish!

12. Joeslogic

Joeslogic Active Member

Was the first dish I make and this time I made it in a pressure cooker. And yes it was damn good. :)

13. GAS

GAS New Member

I'm not sure if you have any bigger cuts of venison but if you do sautee em rare as shit with garlic, salt and pepper on them. Fantastic, damn I want venison now...

14. Joeslogic

Joeslogic Active Member

Aren't you in Oklahoma?

15. Lomotil

Lomotil Active Member

Fucking hell - I don't know what the fuck I was on when I typed that...

I mean, honestly... I actually leaned back in my chair and tried to decipher it...

Fuck.

That reminds me...

Sometime after that inane drivel of mine was posted, my phone rang while I was in a meeting, and it happened to be you calling - was that an "oops - hit the wrong button like last time" thing, or did you mean to call me (and still not leave a message?) It's okay, man... I know I'm a two-pump-chump, but if you give me a second chance, I'm sure I can find a tag-team partner...

Just make with the wild hog next time and nobody gets hurt. :biggrin: ;)

16. Joeslogic

Joeslogic Active Member

I had a question to ask but it's no longer relevant now. I'll holler at you sometime to explain.

17. GAS

GAS New Member

Dunno if this was directed at me but if so nope. It says Michigan right above me...