How do I quit smoking?

Discussion in 'Medical Advice' started by GAS, Jan 26, 2008.

1. GAS

GAS New Member

This seemed like the right place for the question.

What helps?Gum?Patches?

If anyone has quit and wants to give some pointers that would be great.

2. ucicare

ucicare Active Member

Atropine and Scopolimine injection. I can hook you up for $500.00

or you can go here - www.welplex.com

3. canine_STD

canine_STD New Member

You stop lighting cigarettes and inhaling the smoke they produce. You could always check to see if Dr. Phil has written a book on the subject.

4. Fernando

Fernando Member

cold turkey, really only way it ever works.

5. Lomotil

Lomotil Active Member

People have it wrong. Quitting isn't hard at all.

It's just that it's soooooo fucking easy to start up again.

6. ucicare

ucicare Active Member

The shots work.

7. JEFE

JEFE New Member

How much do you smoke? Why do you want to quit?

8. Nauseous

Nauseous Active Member

You have to really want to quit. I tapered for years (one a day) and eventually one day, the thought of them disgusted me and I haven't smoked since. I can't even tolerate the smell.

You could also try hypnotherapy. My dad did it and it worked. He wasn't even actually wanting to quit, he just went with his friend and figured that'd he just do it for the hell of it and it worked.

9. Joeslogic

Joeslogic Active Member

Ok so what makes them work?

10. Lomotil

Lomotil Active Member

I find that it's easiest to placate your need for nicotine by applying a patch in the morning, as soon as you wake, and then the whole day's easy. If I had the determination about me to quit, I'd have stuck with it, but all I can say is that it keeps me off cigs for a day.

11. phatboy

phatboy New Member

I have always heard that if you quit buying them, you are more likely to lose all your friends from bumming smokes from them.

12. MAJ Havoc

MAJ Havoc Active Member

Obviously, you have to want to quit for yourself. I had been a couple of days not smoking because I had been with my girlfriend who I didn't smoke around (coupled with a bad hangover which kept me from wanting a cigarette.) I decided that since I already had a couple of days under my belt, I would quit right then. Last December was 13 years and not even a puff.

You have to learn to abhor cigarettes and start to think of yourself as a non-smoker. Think of people you hate that smoke and associate the two. I remember someone offering me a cigarette after I had quit and I blurted out, "I don't smoke." I was surprised that I said that, but please as well.

Once you abstain for a while and realize how bad it stinks (and how bad you stunk) it will get easier. But you might also want to refrain from certain activities that lead to smoking for a while. I couldn't go out drinking in certain atmospheres without wanting to light up so I lay low for a while.

Bottom line again: you have to want to quit for yourself.

13. Nauseous

Nauseous Active Member

That's right. I didn't really want to quit for years so I just smoked no more than 3/day.

I have read to taper, you can start smoking with the opposite hand that you normally do. (It sucks) and try not to smoke for at least a couple of hours after waking up. Once you kick the physical addiction, it's all mental after that.

Even though I quit, I would never say I wouldn't smoke ever again. I just don't want to.

14. Joeslogic

Joeslogic Active Member

Canine has the most logical suggestion:
    And Phat has the best round about solution get away from the people that influence you to smoke. Cause and effect I love it.
    Fact is it is true after you quit the smell of cigarettes is indeed horrid. You will have the urge still occasionally from time to time either after a big meal when a cigarette seems like the perfect dessert, or during times of stress. But eventually that goes away also.

15. MAJ Havoc

MAJ Havoc Active Member

I still have dreams that I'm smoking and feel disappointed in myself for falling off the wagon. But I awake relieved that I haven't re-started. I also decline cigars when offered. To me, that's like giving a recovering alcoholic a beer and telling him not to swallow it.

16. GAS

GAS New Member

Thanks for the advice so far. I wish I had 500 bucks to give you for the super quit smoking drugs UC but I do not.

I'm picking up my last (hopefully) pack tomorrow, got a party/voice over session to attend where there wil be much drinking and debauchery so I figure it's quitting with a bang so to speak.

I fully expect to be murdering people by Monday so let's hope for the best.

17. Reizvolles

Reizvolles Active Member

Go cold turkey, you gutless whimp!

18. Joeslogic

Joeslogic Active Member

19. JEFE

JEFE New Member

Just to see how it feels, I quit for 5 days. Not only that, but I also quit drinking too. There is nothing to it. It's just a habit, like anything else. Ask yourself how you would quit eating jelly beans. It's the same thing.

Quit being such a pussy and, if you want to quit, just stop doing it.

20. Disorder

Disorder New Member

I found a great new way to quit smoking with patches.. I put one over each eye and I cant find my fucking cigarettes anymore - Lee Evans