DNS resolver issue?

Discussion in 'Technology' started by Nauseous, Feb 26, 2008.

1. Nauseous

Nauseous Active Member

I'm not sure what the deal with the computers at work is. There are only two computers networked with a Linksys router and they used to have no connectivity issues (connecting to the internet). But it seems when we switched ISPs that I can no longer access certain sites. officedepot.com is one of them, kbb.com is another.

When I try to ping them, I get that no host can be found. When I try to ping the IP, I get timed out.

I can access the sites through a proxy but it takes forever for the pages to load and it sucks. I tried to 'bypass' the DNS by adding the ips and domains to my HOSTS file, but that didn’t work.

The default gateway, DHCP server, and DNS server are all the same (it’s the default for the Linksys router).

Should I get the DNS servers from my ISP and change them manually? I think the computers (I know the one I use is) are set to have the computer detect the IP and DNS automatically.

It’s really annoying. Anyone know what is going on? Am I going down the wrong path?

2. phatboy

phatboy New Member

I think you are on the right path. Does it do the same thing if you use FireFox or IE?

What kind of ISP swap did you do? Cable to DSL or something? Or just cable to cable?

Dwaine would probably be a good person to ask. I dont know if you can do an DNS Lookup, or if their DNS server has issues.

3. Nauseous

Nauseous Active Member

Yeah, I previously downloaded Firefox and it did the same thing, so that ruled out it being IE.

It was cable to DSL.

I know, Dwaine...?

4. Nauseous

Nauseous Active Member

Yep. I changed the primary and secondary DNS servers to what the ISP provided a long time ago and it worked. The computer was set to detect them automatically and that was the problem.

All fixed!

5. Joeslogic

Joeslogic Active Member

:pI was gonna say change the primary and secondary DNS servers to what the ISP provided a long time ago but I see you got it fixed already.