Cycling

Discussion in 'Sports' started by nolo451, May 27, 2008.

1. nolo451

nolo451 New Member

Man, I went on a bike ride, its really hilly, and I almost never go through the hill parts of the city on my bike until today....sucked. I went downhill most of the way for 4 miles going about 35m.ph., then on the return, it started getting slightly sloping upwards, but it didnt bother me that much, that is until the last stretch, which was like 1.5 miles away from my place. Wow, zapped all the energy out of me, by the time I got home, I was really dizzy, hot, and thought I was going to collapse.

I'm used to riding flat even surfaces, so when I started pedaling uphill, up a steep incline, I had to get off on the last .25 mile because I would be going faster walking my bike as opposed to riding it, plus I would be using less energy. Fuck, I feel fucking sick now like I want to throw up. I need to ride the hills though, my legs suck for riding up.

2. Joeslogic

Joeslogic Active Member

It's really good exercise though. I do not have room to talk though My bike is hanging on the garage wall like it has been for years now.

I remember to well though that burn feeling in your legs going down to second gear to keep moving and someone could walk right past you. But not wanting to be a quitter and get off and push.

3. nolo451

nolo451 New Member

I'm no beginner or anything I can easily do 25 miles in about 2-3 hours, its just Im not used to these kinds of inclines, that just really saps so much energy, I dont think Il l incorporate them into my daily rides. I had to get off though on the last stretch, it was kind of embvarassing having to walk my bike with all these cars passing me. I probably could have managed it if I just started and was going up, but I was already so tired from the earlier part.

4. JEFE

JEFE New Member

I got a Polar heart monitor a couple years ago and have been trying (in vain) to improve my stamina ever since. I have an old bike that I ride to the gym once in a while (about 10 miles each way) and every time I do it I am wiped out for another two days.

Did you pump up your tires? I know it's a silly question but having properly inflated tires makes a huge difference. Flat tires make it seem like you're pedaling through sand the whole way.

5. nolo451

nolo451 New Member

Yeah, I have my own air compressor, fill em up whenever they need air. I have a small electronic monitor hooked up to my bars that is connected to my wheels. It tells me how fast I'm going, what distance I've ridden, and what time it is. My stamina is great for any distance that involves flat roads, going at like 20m.p.h., but anything where I have to climb long hills, man I'm screwed.

6. Fugly

Fugly Administrator Staff Member Fugly Staff

I use electrical tape and fasten a pack of Marlboro's to my handlebars. Every few miles I light one up. Just remember to wear goggles and you won't get ashes in your eyes.

Homeopathic medicine. A little bit of poison makes you stronger, is my theory. It seems to work.

Take that one step further and logic dictates that, if a little bit is good, a LOT is better.

Smoke more while you ride, is what I'm saying.

Only fags and the French whine about having to take hills.

7. Fugly

Ok, I'm kidding. I hope you see that.

Basically all you have to do is ride until you feel like you can't go any farther, then ride some more.

Do it over and over again and, eventually, you're going up hills no problem.

Smoking is definitely NOT going to help so, if you smoke, knock it off. That will help tremendously.

8. Fugly

Also, just gear down and take it slow up those hills. It's not all about a constant speed, it's about a constant effort.

I made that mistake for a long time. Going slow is OK, so long as you're pushing yourself a little.

9. nolo451

nolo451 New Member

Ha, trust me, I was on the lowest speed and I still couldnt ascene, it was that steep. In all though, Im oretty sure it was a mix of me already being so tired(since it was the last stage of my ride), not being used to taking such hills, and that just flat out walking would be faster than trying to ride it out. I got the the stoplight at the top and rode back to my place on a semi-even pavement.

10. nolo451

nolo451 New Member

11. phatboy

phatboy New Member

Do you reckon that the car swerved into them?

I like how the helmet is flying off above the wreck, makes you wonder how much help they actually are.

12. BullGod666

BullGod666 Member