Chorizo Pizza

Discussion in 'Fizood' started by Robman97, Jun 3, 2008.

1. Robman97

Robman97 Member

This is one of the best homemade pizza recipes I have. I don't use a refrigerated pizza dough, I buy premade crusts, Mama Mary's makes a good one. I prefer to use thin crust on this, kinda mimicks a tosada shell that way and instead of using two crusts, I use one and really pile the toppings up. Also I bought a pizza stone, which really helps to crisp the crust and give it that fire baked taste. I don't know about other places, but here all I can find is chorizo that once cooked turns into a ground beef mixture and not like a link sausage like the recipe suggests, but it works fine that way. This is really good served with ice cold beer, of course I can't think of any food that isn't good with beer.

4 mushroom caps, thinly sliced
    2 tablespoons sliced salad olives with pimento, drained
    1 small onion, chopped
    1 handful cilantro, chopped
    1/2 small red bell pepper, seeded and diced
    1 jalapeno, chopped
    2 tubes refrigerated pizza dough (found on dairy aisle)
    1 1/2 cups prepared salsa, any variety (I like smoky chipotle salsa)
    8 ounces smoked cheddar, shredded
    1/2 pound chorizo, casing removed and sausage thinly sliced
    1 cup shredded Monterey Jack (found on dairy aisle)

Preheat oven to 450 degrees F.
    Combine first 6 ingredients in a bowl and mix.
    Press out 2 pizza shells on 2 cookie sheets. Spread 3/4 cup salsa on each pie and top with each pie with half of the shredded smoked cheese. Top each pie with half the vegetable blend and half of the sliced chorizo. Top with the shredded Monterey Jack and bake the pizzas for 15 minutes, until cheese is golden and toppings tender. Cut pizzas into squares and serve.

2. Nauseous

Nauseous Active Member

I think I need to get a pizza stone. Are they really better?

I have never eaten Chorizo. I tried soyrizo once and it was terrible.

3. Robman97

Robman97 Member

I think so, they tend to hold heat evenly. So the pzza is cooked at the same temp all around and they help crisp the crust.

4. Lomotil

Lomotil Active Member

I know this thread's just a little old, but Nauseous, pizza stones are great, but I don't like that you're not supposed to use soap to clean them with. Kinda makes me a hypocrite for using cast iron skillets, but a well-seasoned skillet isn't exactly porous, unlike the pizza stones.

Hmmm. Now I'm tempted to make a true 'pan pizza.' Come to think of it, I bet they make cast iron pizza pans without such a tall lip around the edge. If I got rid of some of my other kitchen equipment I don't use often, I might make enough room for one.