Changing your driving habits?

Discussion in 'More Serious Topics' started by nolo451, May 1, 2008.

1. tux

tux New Member

Changing my way of driving?

Damn skippy I am... It's insane!!! This country is going to come to a grinding halt VERY soon if things don't change and QUICK!!!

2. Lomotil

Lomotil Active Member

Damn... My apologies, even though I know this was your obligatory post of the week, but I thought you were talking about the time of day... :rolleyes:

Units, people! Units! ;)

3. MechRecon

MechRecon New Member

buy a scooter

I did buy a scooter. My minivan only gets 20mph, scooter gets 65 (150cc). I drive ~20mi round trip daily. I'm not one of those "it's all about the ride" people. For me, it's all about the mileage. Plus, I bought the scooter used, $800, so it is quite the bargain.

4. Lomotil

Lomotil Active Member

I think the most productive (read:successful) trend will be the development of miniature communities that thrive upon the convenience of having everything one could need on a weekly basis at arm's reach.

In San Antonio, there is a project under development, that expands the northeast outskirts of the town - we've already got "the shops @ La Cantera" in place (a ritzy shopping mecca previously unavailable to this region) - phase two of the development will encompass a much larger scale of construction. Essentially, the commercial district will be at the ground level, office space in the floors above it, and above that, living quarters.

It will, in essence, be it's own entity within a city, and probably modeled after some other successful venture of it's kind elsewhere in the states... (I've not researched this point as of yet)

Interesting to see how this unfolds, to say the least.

5. louisiana365

louisiana365 New Member

gas, gas, gas

I am annoyed (maybe that's a mild way of stating my feelings on the whole gas price issue) at the politicians. They can bring down gas prices if they wish, but since they generally dont have to worry about it, it doesn't really hit them the way it hits the rest of us. Do ya'll realize the federal tax on gas is $ .18 per gallon, that's on top of whatever your state charges, some are much more than others.

6. Nauseous

Nauseous Active Member

I was just thinking about that the other day. I'll have to look at that sticker on the pump next time I fill up and see how much I am being taxed.

7. Nauseous

Nauseous Active Member

I think it's a good idea, but I figure only the rich and rich elderly will be able to afford to live there.

8. Nauseous

Nauseous Active Member

I think it's a good idea, but I figure only the rich and rich elderly will be able to afford to live there.

9. Lomotil

Lomotil Active Member

Again, I'll argue that the fact that crude oil consumption has skyrocketed in developing India and China, the demand for that barrel of oil raises it's value. All of a sudden, it's not just the US that's mainly suckling the nipple of the oil derricks... There's more of a demand now, and that causes the price to rise.

Until we focus our efforts into a more logical source of fuel (which I don't see happening in our lifetimes, but we can try,) - one that is both renewable, and doesn't leave as much of a 'fingerprint' of our presence on the planet, we're going to see the other option play into effect. It will become so expensive to operate anything requiring petroleum based fuels, that it will be beyond the reach of the average citizen. It sounds like a bad thing, but if the first idea fails, I wouldn't consider this too poor of a compromise.

I think I mentioned before, but I'm in the early stages of writing a book that addresses not only this threat to our future on this planet, but many other aspects. I am absolutely committed to this project, and dare I say, place as much importance on it as if it were the rearing of my own child.

10. Joeslogic

Joeslogic Active Member

I wonder what Our politicians can do to help out France paying 7.00 a gal.

LOL

Politicians have no control save giving you back your 18cent.

The largest oil producer here is Exxon Mobile accused of bilking the masses is only the fifth the size of the other state sponsored oil companies for China and others. They by oil as a commodity as if at auction. Problem we have here is a supply one.

Also that whole profit thing is a fiasco. They made LESS not more.

Its all about how you use the term net. Net profit after the expenditures namely Oil at 200.00 a barrel.

11. grandebill48

grandebill48 New Member

"Complete towns"

This idea is very old, this is how Europe has paid $6 gas for years, most of their small towns are very complete, not real need to drive far. When we lived in Italy, a town of only 11K had all that you needed. I could go 2 or 3 weeks on a tank of diesel.

12. Joeslogic

Joeslogic Active Member

The Woodlands Texas. Was part of several government subsidized experiments they type of which you refer to Lomo I cannot remember the developers first name but the last name was Mitchell. He was the only one of 6 that completed the project. I did roofing in the woodlands as well as ran cable while I was in high school. That was mid eighties and it was self sufficient then has its own malls, clinics, business center, car repair movie theater. Basically anything you needed.

13. Joeslogic

Joeslogic Active Member

http://www.thewoodlands.com/

The reason I knew the developers name is he owned Wunsche Brothers Saloon in Spring TX where I also worked and him and his wife would bring pies over to the saloon to sell. He drove an ancient old skyblue pickup. And friendly not snoby at all.

14. phatboy

phatboy New Member

We have one of those going up around here. Its Hammonds Ferry, along the river in SC. Not quite done yet, but all the houses are Charleston style with a bunch of stores and what not in the center. The only problem is the highest house is a little over 1.5 million and the lowest is 290k, and its tiny. So I will just keep complaining about gas prices, or by a vespa.

15. Lomotil

Lomotil Active Member

In Texas, a state larger than many entire countries, we hadn't really picked up on that idea until recently... :confused:

Towns here are spread out in roughly 30 mile distances from each other. This is because as the (predominantly German) settlers moved in, they set up camp after a day's travel by horse and buggy. The average travel one could make in a day was around 30 miles. These camps eventually grew into communities, and gave rise to the towns we have here today.

It's a lifestyle I can only imagine (and it's probably what it would be like living in New York City for many) - but I can't help it, I just *like* to drive. As many people probably do. It's going to be hard to convince some people to give up their cars.

16. Lomotil

Lomotil Active Member

King Roland's Daughter?!?

With, or without, her old nose?

17. nolo451

nolo451 New Member

oh man, and the price of oil just keep getting higher and higher by the day. Its already at $135. At this rate, Itll be $200 by July.:mad:

18. onfire

onfire New Member

Stayed @ home this weekend....

A little pricey for our family this weekend just to cruise around. Saving for an extended getaway later this summer. This economy and raising 3 grandkids (5,6, & 8), things are tight.

Late.............Mitch

19. phatboy

phatboy New Member

We took the kids up to Carowinds (about 2 hours away) for camping and the amusement park. It cost 100.00 to fill up before we left, then I had to put in petrol once we got there, about 93.00 (it was cheaper in Rock Hill) then I topped off in Columbia on the way home yesterday (55.00) and have right at half a tank left.

www.carowinds.com

Carowinds is like Six Flags except not as dirty.

20. Reizvolles

Reizvolles Active Member

I paid 139.9 cents/litre today for premium unleaded. That's about AUD $5.30 / gallon or USD $5.09.