BOOK CLUB ??????????????????????????????????????????????????

Discussion in 'General Mayhem' started by mia, Apr 13, 2005.

1. Oberon

Oberon New Member

@ Dubya2.0

Life in the netherlands is great, very liberal,

live near Amsterdam ( a bike's ride away, then it will be stolen cost about 150 us dollars, orrr by car, have it towed awy for illegal parking pay 150 us dollars + buy some weed 10 us dollars drink some beer 20 us dollars, get drunk, fall down. wake up at sunday afternoon in the HOSPITAL, etc) a Great place

2. Oberon

Oberon New Member

Titania.......Don't be mad.....get even

3. Samanthasez

Samanthasez New Member

Yes she was; I have been completely taken by her and her history since I've been a young girl-I have the best book on Versailles that I found in an old dusty book store in a coastal town: pictures of her bedchambers, her parlors, etc.

Thanks for the "head's up" on Kunstler...Jaysus, what a name!

4. lil_devil_partdeux

lil_devil_partdeux New Member

I vote for Where the Wild Things are,by Maurice Sendak. classic.

5. lil_devil_partdeux

Pfft,wasnt me... I never made a whiny goodbbye post. I did miss the abuse though.

6. DangerousDan

DangerousDan New Member

I just finished reading Silver Chief Dog of the North by Jack O'brien 1933
    and before that I read Brighty of the Grand Canyon by Marguerite Henry.
    http://www.members.tripod.com/~horsefame/brighty.html Found them suckers laying around from when my grandmother bought em for me when I was a kid.

7. MEDICVET

MEDICVET New Member

Ahhh a Heinlein fan...loved all the books mentioned..and also Farnhams Freehold, the Puppet Masters, Friday, and The Cat Who Could Walk Through Walls, to name a few others..

Also am a HUGE fan of Harry Turtledove and his alternative history books..especially his 'in the balance set'..bascially start during WWII when the whole world is in the thick of the battle, and the outcome is still undetermined..and then the aliens arrive and invade...if politics makes strange bedfellows then so does bringing an entire new enemy to the mix..

I just finished reading IBM and the Holocaust..all I have to say is if I ever get rich enough to think about running a company into the ground, that would be the one..recommend it to EVERYONE..it was a thoroughly researched book, that one..and put things together from start to finish in a manner that was factual without being dry and boring.

I am also almost at the end of the last Dark Tower book..

8. Reizvolles

Reizvolles Active Member

Michael Slade.

9. lil_devil_partdeux

I am reading The Rum Diary by Hunter S Thompson right now....picked it up today at the library,not too bad so far.

10. Oberon

Oberon New Member

am a big fan of Heinlein, haven't read all af his work though(but will), allso like the dark tower stories, but Roland and I parted on the way.

Wasn't aware of the books suggested (caveman) will track them down

Allso : Fredric Brown's short stories...Brilliant

And ofcourse Dune...Must read up at this saga allso...

11. Samanthasez

Samanthasez New Member

The Dark Tower...that series is fucking brilliant...did you read "The Talisman"? It actually incorporates Roland in it and the follow up book "The Black House" is phenomenal. If you haven't read The Black House, do so...it really made me sad because I grew up reading about Jack and actually his character was my age (12) when I started the series and in the Black House, Jack is now my current age-I identify a lot with Jack.

12. Samanthasez

Samanthasez New Member

13. Samanthasez

Samanthasez New Member

14. ratatouille

ratatouille New Member

i dont know how to read.

15. Samanthasez

Samanthasez New Member

Will the surprises around here never cease?

16. Your Friend Whipone

Your Friend Whipone New Member

I want to be in book club!!!

me ,1 me!

17. Dwaine Scum

Dwaine Scum New Member

Im reading a book, pissing monthly... there isn't many words in it, mostly pictures..

18. MEDICVET

MEDICVET New Member

Read Talisman years ago, but don't remember it very well..except that I knew Black House was a follow up..but it was a lot more..I read Black House a few months ago and it was GOOD. Just finished reading the Dark Tower when in the hospital..the ending fit...it fit a lot.

I am almost done with IBM and the HOLOCAUST by Edwin Black, and have just begun reading a VERY POWERFUL piece of holocaust literature called: Auschwitz And After by Charlotte Delbo..her style of writing just drags someone willing or no into her world, and lets them look deep into the abyss..the subject matter and prose (which is stream of consciousness and/or poetry actually at times) is utterly riveting. I have just begun it and already HIGHLY recommend it and I usually don't do that until I have finished the book.

19. mia

mia New Member

You look like that type, in fact you look lik no type I have ever seen before. I wonder if you are near exploding point yet??

20. ucicare

ucicare Active Member

Dwaine defies being defined. That is why I love him so much. He combines the best of the cluster B personality disorders in one impressive package. Stir in a IQ that leans three standard deviations to the right, add a little drug induced mania, and you have the bigger than life man himself.

Did he mention to you that he owns the world record for piercings in one sitting? It's not grandiosity if it's true.

Barry