Anybody ever owned a Miata?

Discussion in 'Cars' started by Lomotil, Aug 19, 2008.

1. Lomotil

Lomotil Active Member

I'm looking at a 2001, 5-sp, sport package/suspension/etc., leather seats, power windows, locks, seats, Bose stereo... with 20K miles on it.

2nd owner, some old senile fella that bought it from a military general/etc/whatever that had to get rid of it, and has kept it pretty much garaged since he bought it.

The price is right, but I realize this wouldn't exactly be a 'Daily Driver' - and might end up selling one of the other vehicles if I buy this one (although, it'd be less than $40 extra per month to add this car to my current full-coverage policy...)

Has anyone owned/driven one of these for any extended period of time? I'd be interested in some opinions...

2. phatboy

phatboy New Member

Other than the 'gay' factor I dont think there is anything wrong with them. I have only ridden in one on one occasion, longgggg story, pretty girl - back roads....

if you are over 5'8" you might have an issue in the car. I know I felt like I was riding shotgun in a go-cart.

As far as reliability goes I dont think you'd have any problems with it. Plus you can 'butch' it up a little with grill inserts and those roll bar deals that go behind the seats.....

3. Nauseous

Nauseous Active Member

Totally gay car, no matter what you do to it. Might as well drive a convertible Geo Storm.

I was expecting a girl to be asking this question.

4. phatboy

phatboy New Member

Did I ever tell the story of the two guys in the little convertible? I cant remember if it was a Miata or Boxter, or Z3, but it was a tiny little convertible, and these two guys, come riding into the parking lot of "Wild Wings" as we are leaving. They are kind of riding beside us as we are walking out to our car, I look over and ask the guy driving, "Does that thing come in straight"? I thought my wife was going to kick my ass....

5. Icenhour

Icenhour New Member

They are for short homosexuals and chicks.

6. Lomotil

Lomotil Active Member

This is the first time I've ever heard the gay reference to that car...

I was more or less considering how it wouldn't depreciate as quickly as a new car, I could drive it for a few years, then sell it for not much less than I initially would pay. As an added bonus, being the small car that it is, it wouldn't take up as much space in the garage.

But now that y'all mention it, it would be a great li'l pocket rocket to zip around town to the clubs, listen to techno music, and show off my new hat and neckerchief...

Seriously, though, when I transfer the title, do I have to be wearing Elton John sunglasses?

7. Joeslogic

Joeslogic Active Member

Dude get a Camaro or Firebird convertable or T-Top Same thing but cooler.

I understand thse Miata's are fun to drive and economical at the same time. But they are rather gay. :cool:

8. phatboy

phatboy New Member

Only if you go all out and wear the Donald Duck suit as well.

9. Icenhour

Icenhour New Member

it is SOOO funny that this thread is going today... 30 min ago I saw a little black queen driving a convertible Miata - listening and singing along to Madonna - Lucky Star. He had a little disco ball hanging from the rear view mirror

10. Lomotil

Lomotil Active Member

Damn... Where the fuck are you people from? Never see that shit here...

BTW, the car sold today.

11. phatboy

phatboy New Member

There aint no queers in texas? Must be similar to Iran not having any queers. Sounds like Icenhour was cruising midtown today.....

12. Icenhour

Icenhour New Member

Now have the Revolting Cocks song stuck in my head... "Beers, Steers, and Queers"

I was in Douglasville GA. He was leaving Target. Queers are everywhere...

13. Nauseous

Nauseous Active Member

14. Lomotil

Lomotil Active Member

No, I didn't buy it.

I'm looking at an '04 Volvo S40 now... It's in great shape, turbocharged, leather, power seats, power moonroof, etc., and even those dingy little wipers over the headlights. 54K miles on it, bluebook is around $12K, have an verbal offer from the seller for $9K.

Looks like this one:

Now, would I need to paint it rainbow colors to get that 'ghey' effect, so I can safely assume I'll drive down the road and not have every 'American Bear' chasing me? (Damn your memory, Nauseous...) :mad: ;)

15. phatboy

phatboy New Member

My boss has an S40 and SHE loves it.

:rolleyes:

16. Joeslogic

Joeslogic Active Member

Phat has a point. :p

Doesn't it have like a 2 litre motor turbo charged to get like 200 hp?
    I would not trust that even if it is German made.

17. Nauseous

Nauseous Active Member

They are expensive to get worked on but it's not a bad looking car and I would say the price is fair. I wouldn't like the leather seats though.

18. Lomotil

Lomotil Active Member

Fuck off, man... First with the ghey shit, and now this... ;)

You're so sexy when you're condescending... :biggrin:

19. Lomotil

Lomotil Active Member

1.9L (this particular version) - and they were available in two different 5-cylinder versions, as well.

This one is the better of the two 4-cyl versions, certainly suitable for any executive-level estrogen-powered driver.

Y'kno what? Fuck all of y'all.

I'm buying this fucking car.

20. phatboy

phatboy New Member

I didnt say it was ghey, just implied.... :)

on a serious note, hers is a nice car, Ive ridden in it a bunch of times to lunch outings and it isnt too shabby. dont take it through drive thru car washes. We have one here at the plant, since we make some pretty bad stuff, so that you can wash your car off in the evenings when you leave, well she had to quit doing it because it was getting something wet and causing the whole car to screw up. Like windshield wipers cutting on for no reason, all the dash lights coming on, idling funny.

But she quit going through it and hasnt had anymore issues. I think it is just the high pressure part, normal washing hasnt been an issue.