You don't have to drink 900 gallons of water/day

Discussion in 'Medical Advice' started by Nauseous, Dec 27, 2007.

1. Nauseous

Nauseous Active Member

http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/92576.php

There is no evidence to support the need to drink eight glasses of water a day they said. On the contrary, studies suggest that most people get enough fluid every day from juice, milk, and even drinks containing caffeine. And there is clinical evidence that drinking too much water is dangerous and can lead to death.

The myths's origin may have been a recommendation in 1945 which said 2.5 litres was a suitable fluid intake for adults and that most of this comes in prepared food. If the last part of the recommendation is omitted, it could imply the fluid intake should be in addition to normal food, suggested the researchers.

2. Disorder

Disorder New Member

Yes you can drown, not in the traditional sense, more in the body overload sense. You can drink too much water and kill your organs, ecstacy users have that to look out for and some have died from hyperhydration (not sure its called that but its essentially that)

3. Nauseous

Nauseous Active Member

It's actually called hyponatremia. I know this because my sodium level was low last year.

4. Disorder

Disorder New Member

I don't know why you dont start a career in medicine.

5. Nauseous

Nauseous Active Member

I should have went into it. I'm interested in it and I retain a lot of what I learn. I could give Dan a run for his money.

6. Joeslogic

Joeslogic Active Member

Curiosity is what makes us smarter than say cows for instance.

Study what you are curious about if it's in the medical field then you have a decided edge on all the others who are only curious about the paycheck they could possibly get.

7. DangerousD

DangerousD New Member

That's a fluff peice. It's better to drink a good amount of water. The article is just twisting the truth a little bit by saying it doesn't have to be water just something with water in it like juice or something. But if you drink juice you are loading up on sugar which will turn you into a diabetic potentially and ultimately mess up your kidneys as in diabetic nephropathy. People come in with renal failure all the time from dehydration. Just forget the article and drink enough water. .. and yeah you can drink too much water as in the people who die after drinking alot of water after a drinking water contest as in the radio show woman. Sometimes when there is no news they try to make it up by this kind of crap article.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2008