Were the Levees Intentionally Blown?

Discussion in 'More Serious Topics' started by Nursey, Sep 13, 2005.

1. pimpchichi

pimpchichi Active Member

throwing 87 year old party members bodily out of the party conference for very mild heckling over an iraq speech using terrorist act powers.... whaddaguy

2. pimpchichi

pimpchichi Active Member

not personally of course they have trained gorillas to do that

3. Nursey

Nursey Active Member

Sorry. I'm a boring, inanimat-ing bitch these days.

I suppose it wouldn't feel so *special* if just anyone was allowed to do it.

Christ! I would have thought that being a footsoldier for the illuminati would at least guarantee a few small perks. I wonder if you'll even get your sacrificial aborted foetus for Christmas this year!?

Perhaps he's being 'entertained' somewhere. In his defence...he is married to this:

4. Ministersf

Ministersf New Member

Budget cuts. We're only getting a half-pint of goat's blood and a Malaysian sweatshop worker until membership gets back up.

5. MEDICVET

MEDICVET New Member

I have now begun recording testimonies and writing down shorthand statements and taking handwritten statements from gruber.

The red cross at gruber is thisclose to telling me to not come back. Except that I do a kick ass job there, and they actually need me because not only did I help organize their pharmacy, but calmed down a lot of disgrunteld people by telling them I would take any and all statements. so I show up three days a week, and do just that. I think tptb think that will keep the disgruntled ones in check. whatever.

I plan on doing something with the info I am gathering.

6. FagARoni

FagARoni New Member

Hey Nursey. I live in New Orleans, know all the areas well. The deliberate sabotage of the levies at certain places theory is just bullshit. It could be an attractive theory to suspicious minds, but when you know the geological terrain of different neighborhoods, you can easily understand why certain areas were 18 feet deep in water and others didn't actually flood.

For instance, Uptown, the French Quarter and old Metairie are on the oldest, highest and most stable of the Mississippi River 'ridges'. We're talking geological features dating back a few millenia. The black ninth ward and great big old poor white St. Bernard parish are very lowlying areas.

Here's an excerpt from your link:

"Alfred C. Naomi, a senior project manager for the corps, was quoted in the same article as saying "there were still no clear hints why the main breach in the flood barriers occurred along the 17th Street Canal, normally a conduit for vast streams of water pumped out of the perpetually waterlogged city each day and which did not take the main force of the waves roiling the lake. He said that a low spot marked on survey charts of the levees near the spot that ruptured was unrelated and that the depression was where a new bridge crossed the narrow canal near the lakefront.""

I used to cross that bridge across Hammond Highway a lot. Had frtends in the very rich Lakeview neighborhood nearby. That neighborhood was flooded. The improvements on that canal seemed never to be finished in the years I've lived in NOLA (I moved there in 1997).

The infrastructure of the city of New Orleans was largely ignored for too long. Ecological neglect of the barrier coastal wetlands for several decades was partly to blame for the lack of buffering the storm surge. Floodwalls should have been 4 feet thick, not 2 feet thick.

In this case, conspiracy theories are harmful because they deflect examination from the real causes of that tragic blow which has decimated my hometown.

7. Nursey

Nursey Active Member

8. FagARoni

FagARoni New Member

Nursey, the levies were not blown up, no matter how much the nutty conspiracy sites state that. The boom heard near the Industrial Canal was caused by a loose barge which banged into the floodwall and broke it. Barges are very large, m'dear. The barge should have been moved in advance of the hurricane, but wasn't. Typical New Orleans area lack of accountability and incompetance.

No such booms or anything like were heard at the 17th street canal where the biggest breach occurred. I know the area very well. Many very wealthy folks resided in Lakeview, a beutiful neighborhood which was destroyed by the shifting of weak levies caused by insufficient sheeting under weak floodwalls. Water from lake Pontchartrain pressed against the earthen levies, seeped through and shifted the levy. The water from the storm surge poured into Lakeview, then down toward the University of New Orleans and Gentilly areas. That water met with the water coming through the breach at the industrial canal. All the waters flowed into the lowest parts of the big shallow bowl which is New Orleans, a city which has areas far below sea level.

The failure to maintain and reinforce the levies was local incompetancy, as well as a lack of federal funding of the Army Corps of Engineers. It has been lately discovered that the sheeting under the floodwalls was far shorter than specifications. The Army Corp of Engbineers had never actually supervised or checked the installations by a typically corrupt private firm many years ago.

Attributing the failure of a system to some conspiratorial shenanigans detracts the blame and accountability from where it belongs: corrupt contractors and governmental incompetance.

9. FagARoni

FagARoni New Member

10. FagARoni

FagARoni New Member

11. FagARoni

FagARoni New Member

Failed engineering. In front of witnesses, the levee failure is investigated:

http://www.nola.com/search/index.ssf?/base/news-0/1134457867226780.xml?nola

Now, my concern is that the levees will not be rebuilt to withstand even a category 3 hurricane, during an era when hurricane strengths and frequencies are increasing. Conspiracy theories will not be helpful to address a very real problem.

12. FagARoni

FagARoni New Member

13. FagARoni

FagARoni New Member