Upgrading my computer

Discussion in 'Technology' started by GAS, Jul 31, 2008.

1. GAS

GAS New Member

Ok so I slapped some more ram in it, I have a newer video card, what's next for upgrading?

I'm more interested in gaming performance than anything at the moment so what to do?

And any websites where said equipment could be bought on the cheap would be nice, I hear newegg.com is good but any other suggestions would be great.

Thanks in advance!

2. Nauseous

Nauseous Active Member

If I were asking this Dwaine would say to install something other than Windows '98. :biggrin:

He thinks I run on ancient machinery.

3. phatboy

phatboy New Member

Theres a few sites I will hit up from time to time, but depending on what Im looking for.

pcusa.com has some good prices, but I think some of their equipment is on the cheap side
    pricewatch.com usually is good for a link or two

I guess depending on how bad a box you want to make it is a consideration too. tigerdirect or global will have some low prices, but its mostly refurb stuff.

whats the processor/board combo you are running now?

4. MAJ Havoc

MAJ Havoc Active Member

geeks.com - I've bought some cheap stuff there.

5. Reizvolles

Reizvolles Active Member

Try updating to a SATA hard drive if you have not done so. It's one of the biggest bottle necks out.

6. GAS

GAS New Member

I'm runnin XP still, I'm fighting Vista tooth and nail. It's a total waste of money.

And Phatboy, I'm not really sure. How the hell do I look that up?

7. phatboy

phatboy New Member

If you pop the cover off of it you the board will be stamped, or labeled. PCChips, Via, theres a ton of them, depending on the board you might be better off going with a barebones upgrade (all hardware no OS) save some money.

you can do this little trick to get some quick info on your shit.

<Start>
    <Run>
    DXDiag<enter>

It'll give you a handful of info.

Manufacturer
    System
    BIOS
    Processor
    Memory (RAM)
    Page File
    Display adapter info (Modeland Mem) Driver info
    Audio stuff too

Pretty handy.

I buy only barebones if Im building something. the SATA is the way to go, anything that can that can get the data faster off the drive is good.

Theres so much stuff that can speed you up, but then you have to weigh the cost of the upgrade against just buying another pc.

8. Reizvolles

Reizvolles Active Member

Those 10,000rpm Raptors are pretty good I hear, apart from their smaller sizes (36GB, 74GB, 150GB).

9. Zoop

Zoop New Member

I use a Dell laptop with Windows XP at the moment, it's about two and a half years old, next time I buy a computer I am going to buy a Mac, we use Mac computers at work and I love them, anyway Windows Vista is crap, why when they got XP going well did Microsoft have to change to power hungry unstable rubbish like Vista :p