The Duke university incident

Discussion in 'More Serious Topics' started by Joeslogic, May 3, 2006.

1. Joeslogic

Joeslogic Active Member

2. diogenes

diogenes New Member

Somebody has to argue with you. Otherwise what would you do here?

3. Joeslogic

Joeslogic Active Member

I'd be in trouble I think.

*Franticlly searches for a new forum that will put up with his shit*

I've been sitting on a new thread about how the media is obsessing on ~50 minutes as if some miracle occurred, and some shit bag is bigger than life.

4. diogenes

diogenes New Member

Now I'm completely lost.

5. Joeslogic

Joeslogic Active Member

You were supposed to figure that one out maybe its just me thinking the media is obsessing.

Zarkowi and 100 thousand news headlines obsessing over his final minutes.

6. diogenes

diogenes New Member

That will blow over. Think about how much coverage it would get if it had been Osama Bin Laden? His final minutes would be plastered everywhere, because people would want to know about it. Did it hurt? How did he die? Did he suffer or not? I personally couldn't care less, but some people do. Just wait for the Weekly World News headlines, also the National Enquirer will probably have some good stuff.

7. Joeslogic

Joeslogic Active Member

Yeah just seems like their pandering to the Muslim extreamist to once again try to make him mystical. "Amazing superhuman still alive after blast" you know.

But your right I think I gotta at least think that.

8. diogenes

diogenes New Member

I don't know what the middle eastern media is putting out about it, I haven't really been following what's going on with Al-Jazeera in this specific case. But I don't think Al-Jazeera was all that big of a fan of him or Osama Bin Laden, since they both accused Al-Jazeera of pandering to the west.

9. TheStreaker1337

TheStreaker1337 New Member

Al-Jazeera sounds like the name of an emo band. I don't like it. Ban them.

TheStreaker

10. diogenes

diogenes New Member

Emo? They use their AFI CD's to cut their own wrists. It's pretty hard core, and they have the scars to prove it.

11. TheStreaker1337

If only I could get Shannon to get that depressed, then I could assume the superhero role and save her. Then I could ravage her for a week or so, and then move onto her sister. =-D

TheStreaker

12. diogenes

diogenes New Member

I don't know that it would be worth it. Although I did learn something today. If I'm drinking cheap vodka I need to have a box of Cheerios handy for in the morning. Those really helped.

13. TheStreaker1337

We should write them a thank you letter,

"To whom this may concern,

We have found your product to be an amazing cure for the common side effects of late night binge drinking. We would like to thank you for doing your part in our community.

Best of wishes,
    Local A.A. #7"

You in or what?

TheStreaker

14. diogenes

diogenes New Member

Only if they send me a toy with my proof of purchase.

15. TheStreaker1337

So you're in then. Good.

TheStreaker

16. Joeslogic

Joeslogic Active Member

the second stripper told police early in their investigation that the accuser was out of her sight for only five minutes that night and that her allegations were a “crock.”

The defense team claims that prosecutors omitted Roberts' statement when they received a judge's authorization to obtain photographs and DNA samples from team members.

but that she did perform for a couple in a hotel room in which she danced and used a sex toy on herself.

They have also said DNA tests showed material recovered from the victim matched a single male source who was not a member of the team.

if the district attorney doesn't have anything except the alleged victim's statement, he may be in violation of ethics and liable to be the subject of a disbarment case for allowing the case to go forward

Meanwhile, the second exotic dancer, Kim Roberts, has credibility problems. She subsequently changed her story when it was revealed she's facing criminal charges in an unrelated case. There have been accusations leveled againt Nifong that he made a deal with Roberts in exchange for her testimony should the case go to trial.

Forensic experts assert that the vaginal swelling could have occurred during the accuser's use of "sex toys" earlier that evening when she performed in a hotel room for a "couple." The lawyers also say the accuser told a nurse who examined her that she was not choked and that no condoms were used by her attackers.

At the time, the nurse was in training to specialize as an examiner of sexual assault victims. Lawyers said they filed the documents under seal to protect the accuser's privacy, but asked a judge to make them public.

Looks like a prosecutor should be fired and his license taken or disbarred as they say so that he cannot practice corrupt law again.

17. TheStreaker1337

Wow... you mean a female that sells her body for money, and for the entertainment of others, would take a chance at going to court where she could make more money, and get on TV? Really... I was unaware that such a thing could happen in a country where we make gun laws that take away guns from people who should own them, and only create more illegal gun owners. I'm shocked an apalled...

TheStreaker

18. diogenes

diogenes New Member

I figured the trial would eventually hash out the truth. No need to go jumping to conclusions. That's what we have Joe around for.

19. Joeslogic

Joeslogic Active Member

So true and so sad

I see the future :shock: and its often ugly.

20. Joeslogic

Joeslogic Active Member

Lab chief: Nifong said don't report all DNA data Testimony reveals that lab testing that could have been favorable to defendants in the Duke lacrosse case was omitted from a report and was not disclosed to the defense

This artical pussyfoots all around the actual point which is that the stripper had dna in the form of sperm all over her panties from several males and none were of the Duke Lacross team. But here it is none the less

Joseph Neff, Benjamin Niolet and Anne Blythe, Staff Writers
    The head of a private DNA laboratory testified Friday that he and District Attorney Mike Nifong agreed last spring not to report DNA results favorable to Duke lacrosse players charged with rape.
    The testimony of DNA Security director Brian Meehan could create difficulties inside and outside the courtroom for Nifong. The district attorney did not challenge Meehan's testimony, but he said after court that he did not withhold evidence. He said the defense could have asked for that material all along.

North Carolina law requires Nifong to hand over all evidence regardless of whether it has been requested. The sanctions for violating this law could include a dismissal of all charges against the three players.

Friday's testimony also will provide grist for those calling for Nifong to be disciplined or prosecuted. A North Carolina congressman recently asked the FBI to investigate the case. And the N.C. State Bar has received a number of complaints calling for Nifong to be disciplined for his public comments condemning the lacrosse players and for directing a police photo identification lineup that violated Durham Police Department policies.

"I tell you, the more you hear about his missteps, the more you have to question whether it's purely a matter of incompetence or worse," said James E. Coleman, a law professor at Duke University who has been critical of Nifong.

In court Friday, Meehan said his lab found DNA from unidentified men in the underwear and body of the woman who said she was gang-raped at a lacrosse party in March. Nurses at Duke Hospital collected her underwear and samples from her body a few hours after the alleged assault. Meehan said the DNA did not come from Reade Seligmann, David Evans, or Collin Finnerty, who have been charged with rape and sexual assault in the case.

Privacy concerns

Meehan struggled to say why he didn't include the evidence in a report dated May 12, almost a month after Seligmann and Finnerty had been indicted. Under pointed questioning by defense lawyer Bradley Bannon, Meehan cited concerns about the privacy of the lacrosse players, the fact that he didn't know whose DNA it was, and his discussions with Nifong at meetings in his Burlington lab.

"Had Mr. Nifong said, 'We want a report on everything,' that is what we would produce," Meehan said.

"You violated the protocols of your own lab," Bannon said.

"Correct ... I don't have a legal explanation for it," Meehan said. "I was just trying to do the right thing."

A standing-room only crowd packed a small courtroom. Reporters and bloggers stood along the walls, friends and family of the accused filled the seats, and a half-dozen lacrosse players and other Duke students sat in the jury box.

The three defendants sat at the table with their legal teams, the first time the former teammates -- Evans, 23, of Bethesda, Md.; Finnerty, 20, of Garden City, N.Y.; and Seligmann, 20, of Essex Fells, N.J. -- have been in court together. Charged with rape, kidnapping and sexual offense, they have said that they are innocent and that the accusations are lies.

In April, Meehan told a Durham police investigator that his firm was eager to be involved in the case, according to the investigator's notes. Friday's hearing was not a good advertisement.

Besides acknowledging breaking his own rules, Meehan said he didn't keep logs of phone calls, e-mail messages or notes of meetings. And he failed to report in May that a tiny bit of his own DNA, perhaps a single cell, had probably contaminated one piece of evidence.

"This goes to the credibility of your lab, correct?" Bannon asked.

"Absolutely," Meehan replied.

Not a single cell

After Bannon questioned Meehan for 90 minutes, one of Seligmann's attorneys, Jim Cooney of Charlotte, spent about 10 minutes getting Meehan to summarize his testimony.

"You didn't find anything from Reade Seligmann anywhere in any of those tests," Cooney said. "Not even a single cell?"

"Correct," said Meehan, who then acknowledged the same was true for Finnerty and Evans.

Seligmann and Finnerty had been indicted weeks before your May 12 report, Cooney said. If Meehan wrote in the report that Seligmann was excluded, how would that violate his privacy?

"It was a failed attempt to provide a minimal amount of information to the public," Meehan said. "Maybe it could have been done better."

Intentional decision

Cooney continued: Did Nifong and his investigators know the results of all the DNA tests?

"I believe so," Meehan said.

"Did they know the test results excluded Reade Seligmann?" Cooney asked.

"I believe so," Meehan said.

Was the failure to report these results the intentional decision of Meehan and the district attorney? Cooney asked.

"Yes," Meehan replied.

At that answer, several people in the courtroom clapped. Superior Court Judge W. Osmond Smith III warned the crowd to be quiet or leave.

Throughout much of Meehan's questioning, Nifong sat slumped forward in his chair, resting his face on one hand or leaning his chin on folded hands.

When his turn came, Nifong was brief in questioning Meehan. The scientist acknowledged that his report was less than the full truth.

"Did you intend to put in less than the full truth?" Nifong asked. "Did anyone ever tell you to conceal or hide any of your results?" "Did anyone ever tell you who you were supposed to come up with results of, who we wanted you to pick?"

No, Meehan replied each time.

At the beginning of Friday's hearing, Nifong made a statement that differed from Meehan's subsequent testimony:

"The first I had heard of this particular situation was when I was served with this particular motion" on Wednesday, Nifong told the judge.

After court, Nifong amended his remarks and said he knew about the DNA results.

"And we were trying to, just as Dr. Meehan said, trying to avoid dragging any names through the mud but at the same time his report made it clear that all the information was available if they wanted it and they have every word of it," Nifong said.