Snoring and stopping breathing while you sleep

Discussion in 'Medical Advice' started by JEFE, Dec 8, 2008.

1. JEFE

JEFE New Member

Has anyone else been told that they do this? I have recently discovered that I snore, which is not a huge deal I guess, but that I also stop breathing for almost a full minute at a time while I sleep. Apparently this happens over and over again all night.

Has anyone else had this problem and successfully been able to cure it?

2. BIGMAMA

BIGMAMA New Member

sleep apnea ... google it.

It can be dangerous. The Arab has it, I would lay there watching him, and have to bump him to get him to breathe. The Doc suggested a CPap... and he wont do it.

3. Lomotil

Lomotil Active Member

You might be allowing brain damage to occur if you cut off the flow of O2 to your brain like that. Check out what Rhonda said - soon.

And tell your boyfriend to kick you when he notices you playing possum. :rolleyes: ;)

4. BIGMAMA

BIGMAMA New Member

do you still have your tonsils? my sister's husband was a bad snorer... and had sleep apnea as well... he had his tonsils taken out at age 40 and everything went to normal. Doc said he had the biggest ones he had ever seen. I remember when he got home ... he could not believe how big and open his throat was. He thought having an opening the size of a small grape was normal. Before surgery he was a slow eater... now he has chunked up. But can sleep and feels much better.

5. Lomotil

Lomotil Active Member

Maybe he should chew his food more thoroughly before swallowing, to satiate his hunger?

I remember reading once that the mind keeps track of how many times a person chews, and it is tallied in the brain, and contributes to the "I can eat no more" feeling of being full.

6. Nauseous

Nauseous Active Member

Do you have high blood pressure? If not, it can lead to it. It can lead to all kinds of heart problems, even death. If you ever wanted to die in your sleep, just ignore the apnea. You need to get a sleep study asap.

Don't you feel tired all of the time? Usually people with apnea never feel rested even after a full night's sleep.

I was listening to my husband snore this morning and it sounded like he quit breathing for a while. I can't monitor him because we sleep in separate rooms. I can't deal with the snoring.

7. JEFE

JEFE New Member

8. Nauseous

Nauseous Active Member

That stuff didn't work for my husband. He's been talking about some mouthpiece thing you wear that gives you an underbite and helps you not snore.

That stuff won't cure sleep apnea, silly. You need to get that checked out.

9. phatboy

phatboy New Member

My wife had it real bad, they did the surgery, which really sucked, but she doesnt snore as bad, its more heavy breathing, and she doesnt stop breathing anymore.

This simple thing can cause so many problems, you can get a sleep study done most anywhere (you live in a big enough city) just find one your insurance pays for, or if you have to have a referal hit it up from your doc.

10. Joeslogic

Joeslogic Active Member

My wife says I do that and bitches about my snoring keeping her awake so I kick her out to the guest bedroom.

well .... at first I did now we take turns with who sleeps in the big bed.

Tried the nose strips. I wake up in the morning with my nose aching from the strip. Have the spray not sure it works or not.

The only time I worry about the whole sleep apnea thing is when I have nasal congestion. Cause then I know for a fact that I wake up breathlessseveral times a night. All the other times I cannot tell I'm snoring actually just have to go by my wife's word.

11. Nauseous

Nauseous Active Member

I tried those strips with a head cold because it says you can use them for that. Didn't work... just had gunky stuff stuck to my nose. (no perv comments, please)

12. ucicare

ucicare Active Member

I use a CPAP machine at night. It is wonderful. The only side effect is that my dog won't come within ten feet of me at night.

13. Joeslogic

Joeslogic Active Member

Barry did you look into or have the surgery?

Do a sleep study? My wife keeps bugging me to have one done.

14. phatboy

phatboy New Member

Joe, tell you wife to hug you good and tight with a pillow over your face to stop the snoring.

:)

15. Nauseous

Nauseous Active Member

CPAP... I just googled that. They look very Silence of the Lambs.

I knew a woman that said she wore some sort of mask at night for breathing. Maybe that's what it was.

16. ucicare

ucicare Active Member

Sleep study was the best thing I ever did. Surgery was not an option. The machine is awesome.

17. BIGMAMA

BIGMAMA New Member

While I was staying at the children's hospital I saw many preemie babies on little cpap machines... and it they are on it for a long time... they get little piggy noses. cute- but ugly.

18. Joeslogic

Joeslogic Active Member

Or I could just send her little ass packing to the guest bedroom. :biggrin:

19. BIGMAMA

BIGMAMA New Member

Or you could enjoy some ass packing in the guest bedroom.

20. Joeslogic

Joeslogic Active Member

No that's just gross I never understood guys who liked to fuck a chick in the ass. I mean ....why?