I'd like to make a video

Discussion in 'Technology' started by Nauseous, Jun 23, 2008.

1. Nauseous

Nauseous Active Member

What kind of camcorder (do they even call them that anymore) should I get? I don't want to spend an arm and a leg. I have an older one that uses tape and it's a pain in the ass to get burnt over to disc although it can be done. I want digital and small.

I just want to do some artsy woods/fields/skies stuff and set it to music. And then go from there. I need a second hobby. I'm starting one here soon but I need two.

2. Nauseous

Nauseous Active Member

I've got a little Canon Powershot that does a/v but it's not the same.

3. phatboy

phatboy New Member

I was going to say that our digital camera takes pretty good videos. I think the sony handy cam is pretty good, we use them at work. You still need a good A/V package to clean it up, Windows Movie Maker isnt bad, but its just like those assholes that create their 'personalized' web page and it is a frontpage 'template'.

ERKS me... :)

4. Nauseous

Nauseous Active Member

I found a really cheap RCA for 80 bucks. And I have dreamweaver somewhere to make up for the shittiness of a cheap camcorder.

5. phatboy

phatboy New Member

80 bucks is pretty good. Even if it is cheap.

6. MAJ Havoc

MAJ Havoc Active Member

Check into the interface with your computer. Does it have firewire (IEEE1394), USB, or RCA jacks? Can your computer hook to it?

I still use tape, but it is digital 8 and transfers via firewire. And it has nightlight so I can shoot "A Night in Paris" kind of stuff with it.

7. Nauseous

Nauseous Active Member

8. Nauseous

Nauseous Active Member

It doesn't have a built in light? What does that mean, I gotta carry around a flashlight?

9. phatboy

phatboy New Member

You need some set lights. Maybe you can hire a couple of assistants and make feature length movies..... :)

The maj is talking about the camera like the sony handy cam. It has Hi8 tapes (little small vcr looking tapes) and it has a full set of ways to connect it to a VCR, DVDR or PC. The firewire connection is probably going to be upgraded to the USB2.0 but who knows.

If your PC has a capture card that means it has a plug for component, S-video or a couple of other connections

Either way you will need a good software package to pull it and convert it. We use some studio9 crap at work, to make training videos and what not, and we have an external capture card (USB).

10. Nauseous

Nauseous Active Member

Yeah, my old camcorder has the small tapes. I can convert them to disc with on my husband's computer, but not my laptop and that is the only computer I really use at home. Plus it's too big. I bought it several years ago for about 200 bucks. It's a Quasar if they even make that brand anymore.

I should just use the Powershot and get a bigger memory card, but I want something flat.

11. Nauseous

Nauseous Active Member

What about time-lapse photography?

Anyone know how to do that?

12. Zoop

Zoop New Member

I have a Sony Handycam HDR-TG3E, it's nice and compact, has HD if you want and uses Sony memory sticks, has a 10x optical zoom and it's very easy to use, it can also take 4 Mega Pixels still photos as well, costs about £500.