Help me with this idea

Discussion in 'Technology' started by Nauseous, Sep 19, 2007.

1. Nauseous

Nauseous Active Member

Or tell me that I am stupid.

Anyway, thieves are stealing the catalyst converter from cars now and selling the metal inside for $$$. The anti-theft devices on most cars can't stop them, so I had an idea.

Get a box... preferably wooden and somewhat heavy and put a vibration/shock sensor alarm in it and wedge it under your car/truck/suv so that the thief has to move the box to get to the catalyst converter. When they go to move the box, the alarm sounds.

It would have to be powered on and off by a remote so you don't set the thing off moving it. I know moving it each day would suck, but I think getting your catalyst converter stolen would be worse.

Does anyone have any better ideas? I been searching ways to deter them. All the articles tell you to park your car in a garage. Well, I own two cars and not enough garage to do that!

2. MAJ Havoc

MAJ Havoc Active Member

SOLUTION: Trunk Monkeys.

3. phatboy

phatboy New Member

My converter is welded on the outlet side to the exhaust pipe leading to the muffler. If they have a hacksaw then I guess they want it worse than I do.

Why dont they just steel the coils out of HVAC units like every where else?

4. Nauseous

Nauseous Active Member

That's what they are doing... using a hacksaw. It only takes them a couple of minutes and you're out hundreds of dollars.... more if they fuck up other shit in the process. It's not like they have any respect for your shit, so they will take it anyway they can. It's fucking ridiculous and it's happening all over the country.

5. phatboy

phatboy New Member

We must have lazy thiefs down here.

6. TheGrimJesus

TheGrimJesus New Member

Get a Doorbell Transformer Hook one of those lantern Battery's to it. Run wires from the doorbell Transformer to the metal on the muffler. They will never touch your car again.

7. Nauseous

Nauseous Active Member

See... that's the spirit. I want to hurt people.

8. Joeslogic

Joeslogic Active Member

Always wondered when that was going to become a problem with the platinum beads or honeycomb inside.

9. phatboy

phatboy New Member

yeah, but you shock the crap out of someone, they start convulsing, knocking the car off the jack and squish and kill them. Im all for it, but I think there are going to be several lawsuits..... Kinda like the burgurlar that broke his leg when he fell in the house he was robbing, then sued the homeowner.

10. MAJ Havoc

MAJ Havoc Active Member

I'm picturing Optimus Prime kicking a thief's ass when I read this.

11. TheGrimJesus

TheGrimJesus New Member

Well you could always set up a baby food jar or any jar. Mix some mustard gas. Place it in a way that if it shakes the bottle falls and breaks sending the would be thief into a coughing and hacking fit.

You could also make a pepper bomb and use a mercury switch as the trigger. All very easy to make.

12. TheGrimJesus

TheGrimJesus New Member

Also the Doorbell Transformer is a great prank when hooked up to a door handle. They reach to turn it and get the shit shocked out of them.

13. Joeslogic

Joeslogic Active Member

I like you're thinking on this one Grim.

I mean there are problems like a false positive on the mercury switch deal.

How about a nice little LSD mist device. I mean hit the guy with a dose 10 times greater then Jimmy Hendrix would have ever dared take.

Non-detectable by typical means.

They might see the dilated eyes and such and assume he had a reaction to the heavy metal contaminants he was dealing with cutting off the converter.

There is a problem with false positives. A sensing device that sends a signal to your cell phone with entirely no warning and a trigger device that is triggered by your own return call to the device itself. If the car was with you like your at work its in the parking lot. Fine go look out the windows and zap him. If it is your car at home have it monitored with a hidden web cam.

If your all squeamish like some people then just spray paint them or mace them.

14. JEFE

JEFE New Member

The catalytic converter gets really, REALLY hot when the car is running so, always leave the car running and your problem is sol... oh wait. No, scratch that.

15. TheGrimJesus

TheGrimJesus New Member

Well if you want to skip the Merc switch joe, you can make a simple spring switch.

You can use a spring from a pen. Pen bombs are cool things also. Take a spring and some wire and a 9 volt battery. Hook the negative to the spring. Then set the positive about a cm away from the spring. So if the spring vibrates from motion, such as someone sawing on the muffler it will complete the connection. The pepper bomb is probably the best bet. It's basically a powder based pepper spray only way more potent.

You need crushed red pepper. Put it into a a coffee grinder and grind it too a fine powder. Fill a baby food jar...(see a pattern with my containers) Now get a blasting cap or something else that will rupture the jar. Hook wire the blasting cap. Hook up the spring detonator.

Now most thief's will go in head first under the car near the were the converter is placed. so place the jar accordingly as well as hidden. They will grab the muffler and the shaking from the sawing will cause the spring to make contact which will set of the cap busting the jar dropping the powdered red pepper into there face and eyes.

A fairly harmless little trap you can set at work or home.

I also have a great pressure pipe bomb that requires no black powder and if down right can blow the doors and windows out of a closed car.. Add nails or ball bearings and you can kill a room full of people.

16. TheGrimJesus

TheGrimJesus New Member

Now also if you just want to scare the shit out of them, Get some Model Rocket engines. Use the same set up. Tape some whistler bottle rockets to the engines. this will make a lot of nose and wake up most of the hood you live in.

17. Nauseous

Nauseous Active Member

I need step by step directions. I am an idiot and will end up peppering myself.

I accidentally hot pepper sprayed myself once in the bathroom of a Mexican restaurant.

18. TheGrimJesus

TheGrimJesus New Member

Well in that case go buy an electric Fence transformer and just hook it to the muffler.

19. phatboy

phatboy New Member

Maybe you should just move to a better neighborhood, or get a place with a garage.

20. Joeslogic

Joeslogic Active Member

Thanks that actually was the best laugh I have had at Fugly forums. There must be something wrong with me finding humor in your pain. I really would not wish it on you.

I had to get sprayed with that shit before with my eyes open. It fucking hurts like hell.

Please do tell all the details. I will laugh I'm sure but in a good way you know?