Ever forget how to swallow?

Discussion in 'Medical Advice' started by Nauseous, Feb 9, 2009.

1. Nauseous

Nauseous Active Member

And whatever pervs. I'm serious. Like you take a drink and you kinda forget how to swallow and it goes down all painful? I guess you would call it dysphagia. I didn't have to google that word, believe it or not. I knew it from all of these years of being a hypochondriac.

Also, certain foods give me the hiccups. I ate rice today and it gave me the hiccups. Bready stuff does it to me too as does Morningstar Farms sausage patties. Or shall I say soysage patties. I guess just the dry stuff.

And hiccups have caused me full flown panic attacks. Like something with the breathing triggers something in my brain to freak out my heart so after I start hiccuping, my heart freaks the hell out. That happened on my lunch break once. I took my bp (I was at home) and my pulse was 160. I had to go to work with a crackheads pulse rate. It sucked. I remember that day. It was 90 degrees and I had to cross traffic all lightheaded and my heart pounding so hard that I thought I was going to stroke out. I couldn't breathe and it was my second day on the job at an eye doctors office.

That was before I found Atenolol, my savior.

2. Reizvolles

Reizvolles Active Member

Is it an age thing? Never had that problem.

3. pussyish

pussyish New Member

only when my mouth was really dry

but with the dysphagia, at the nursing home they get put on mechanica and/or pureed foods for awhile to help with that

4. moremetal4mepls

moremetal4mepls New Member

My retarded cousin has dysphagia so badly the doc's had to place a Peg tube.
    Sneaky shit still manages to sneak some sort of food from the kitchen.

5. Nauseous

Nauseous Active Member

I get the feeling that I have something in my throat a lot. I tell myself it's reflux because I have been scoped twice in the past year and they have never found anything. I know I have reflux but I don't get heartburn... more like throatburn. I guess I might have that LPR reflux.

6. Lomotil

Lomotil Active Member

Are you sure it's not just air getting trapped underneath whatever it is you're trying to swallow?