X60 #3 is going back to the shop

Discussion in 'Technology' started by MAJ Havoc, Oct 30, 2007.

1. MAJ Havoc

MAJ Havoc Active Member

My 360 has actully begun to damage my discs. Have any of you heard of such a thing? After about an hour or so of play, the console kicks the disc out as unreadable and it has a circular scratch all the way around it. It had done this before but I really couldn't prove the discs weren't already scratched until it botched my brand-new Guitar Hero III. That game went from box to console and never came out until it failed. When I took it out, it had the circular scratch.

Microsuck wanted me to pay $99 for the repair since it didn't die with the "red ring of death." Apparently, that's what the new 3-year warranty covers. So I asked, "Since my console didn't die in the right way and is now physically damaging my discs, you want me to pay $99 on top of the $180 in damaged software it has already cost me?" One supervisor later, I got them to waive the charges.

360 #1 died from the red rings. The 1st refurb I got had the NIC go out on it. Refurb #2 is killing my discs. I told them they had yet to send me a sufficient replacement for the first console which did, in fact, die properly.

Ughh! I have a friend with a spare he uses when one goes tits up. I may borrow one from him so I can still rock out.

2. Nauseous

Nauseous Active Member

That's fucked up. You are cursed. I've been lucky. Well, will be lucky until the Circuit City warranty runs out.

3. Dwaine Scum

Dwaine Scum New Member

gamestop gave me an additional year on mine, so i have 3 years from ms, and one from gamestop

4. TheGrimJesus

TheGrimJesus New Member

How do you have your unit sitting? I stopped having a lot of problems when I went vertical over Horizontal.

But yeah you're having about as much trouble as I did with the first Xbox. I had 6 units.

5. MAJ Havoc

MAJ Havoc Active Member

I had it vertical until September when I moved it into another room and it is horizontal. I thought about that, too. Maybe I'll re-position the new refurb.

6. Fernando

Fernando Member

none of my systems ever had a problem, wii froze on a vc game once, but thats about it.

7. Disorder

Disorder New Member

make a rough comparison from the location of the scratch on disc, to where it would sit in the drive and see if anything is sticking out when it shouldnt be by shining a flashlight in there

8. MAJ Havoc

MAJ Havoc Active Member

It takes about a solid hour of gameplay before it hits the disc. I don't know what cauese it. In the meantime, I put a clear disc-skin on the disc to protect it. It still failed on me last night but it didn't hurt the disc and I just re-booted. I'm still sending it back but I'll do this until the box arrives.

9. DarkShadow-X

DarkShadow-X New Member

How long does it typically take for the box to arrive? My brother and I have been waiting for it for a few weeks, I believe. I hate that damn red ring of death. :mad:

10. MAJ Havoc

MAJ Havoc Active Member

I think 2-3 weeks. Call back with your ticket number for an update (or the run-around.)

11. zigger

zigger New Member

My friend had this happen to him.
    Its really retarded, if it wasnt for this there would be now flaws with this system. and of course the RRODs

12. Nauseous

Nauseous Active Member

Ours sits horizontal. It also has it's own shelf. So unlike the DVR and the surround sound receiver, it doesn't get any extra heat. I don't think it has ever fucked up in any way.

Every old Xbox I ever played fucked up. I think I used too many cheat codes.

13. Fernando

Fernando Member

Try this, wrap a cotton towel around it, fire it up for ten mins, turn it off, take towel off, and it should magically work. It works for a lot of people and it couldn't hurt to try.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2007