What's the latest fad mental disease?

Discussion in 'Random Media' started by anthonydicosta, Aug 7, 2010.

1. anthonydicosta

anthonydicosta New Member

I don't have anything against mentally 'challenged' individuals or psychology/psychiatry, but it's the media that bothers me.

Every alternate year, they dig up a random mental disease and hype it, for no particular reason.
    I remember when the dyslexia fad started. Time released a cover-page article about it, followed by talk-shows (Oprah, Dr. Phil, etc) hyping it. I even read an Archie Comic story where Moose was revealed to be dyslexic, and not just an old-fashioned thick jock.

In India, and there are reservations (affirmative action) in colleges for 'backward' castes, tribes, and others below the poverty line (BPL). Recently a 'dyslexia quota' was added to this already long list. If you can get a certificate saying your dyslexic, you can get into the college of your choice. All the class retards did this, irrespective of whether they were dyslexic or just dumb.

Next came autism. Again, it was a cover story in Time. Soon, autism was being discussed everywhere. Some of you may remember a 'Scrubs' episode where a friend of Dr. Cox had a dyslexic son. Something similar was on the show 'House'. The fad caught on. Even my neighbour (who really suffered from cerebral palsy before the fad) started claiming he was autistic. There was a newspaper article about him and his struggle with autism.

This is not a recent phenomenon. Back in the 70's, in India, there were a series of fads regarding pathological diseases. There was a cancer fad (my dad said something about it). It's legacy remains. In local trains, there are reserved coaches for cancer patients alone. I guess anyone with AIDS, polio, haemophilia or with any other debilitating condition will have to brave the crowds in regular coaches because they weren't lucky enough to get cancer.

Autism is getting old. What's the new up-and-coming mental disease? Can any of you remember the disease that was hyped before dyslexia?

2. Lomotil

Lomotil Active Member

"Oprahism" - it's a sad affliction. One that only preys upon a growing niche of people too ignorant to realize that her show is pure bullshit.

3. Nauseous

Nauseous Active Member

I hate Oprah. I wish I had her money but that's it.

I'm a fan of anxiety disorders. Probably because I have all of them besides PTSD.

4. anthonydicosta

anthonydicosta New Member

I don't have anything against mentally 'challenged' individuals or psychology/psychiatry, but it's the media that bothers me.

Every alternate year, they dig up a random mental disease and hype it, for no particular reason.
    I remember when the dyslexia fad started. Time released a cover-page article about it, followed by talk-shows (Oprah, Dr. Phil, etc) hyping it. I even read an Archie Comic story where Moose was revealed to be dyslexic, and not just an old-fashioned thick jock.

In India, and there are reservations (affirmative action) in colleges for 'backward' castes, tribes, and others below the poverty line (BPL). Recently a 'dyslexia quota' was added to this already long list. If you can get a certificate saying your dyslexic, you can get into the college of your choice. All the class retards did this, irrespective of whether they were dyslexic or just dumb.

Next came autism. Again, it was a cover story in Time. Soon, autism was being discussed everywhere. Some of you may remember a 'Scrubs' episode where a friend of Dr. Cox had a dyslexic son. Something similar was on the show 'House'. The fad caught on. Even my neighbour (who really suffered from cerebral palsy before the fad) started claiming he was autistic. There was a newspaper article about him and his struggle with autism.

This is not a recent phenomenon. Back in the 70's, in India, there were a series of fads regarding pathological diseases. There was a cancer fad (my dad said something about it). It's legacy remains. In local trains, there are reserved coaches for cancer patients alone. I guess anyone with AIDS, polio, haemophilia or with any other debilitating condition will have to brave the crowds in regular coaches because they weren't lucky enough to get cancer.

Autism is getting old. What's the new up-and-coming mental disease? Can any of you remember the disease that was hyped before dyslexia?
    Acai Max Cleanse

5. Aballister

Aballister New Member

I don't see any problem with "hyping" mental or physical diseases. It provides awareness and large monetary contributions to research. Women rarely die of breast cancer nowadays because the campaigns have become efficient and the funding is widely available.

Anyway, I'm only responding to a fucking spam so who cares?