What does a cavity feel like?

Discussion in 'Medical Advice' started by Nauseous, Jan 22, 2008.

1. Nauseous

Nauseous Active Member

Does it hurt a lot?

I had my first (3) cavities when I was 28 and I didn't even know that I had them. I had two filled and was supposed to go back for the other, but I decided that I was scared of the dentist so I didn't get it filled. I also didn't believe that I really had three cavities. Now another tooth hurts, but not much. I always thought cavities were supposed to be painful.

I don't know why I developed a fear of the dentist. I used to go a lot when I was a kid. I had retainers, braces, all of my wisdom teeth cut out, but a filling scares me.

2. Disorder

Disorder New Member

I have 3 tooth cavities I need filling :(, It feels like.. well.. a hole.. that you can out your tongue in.. and food gets stuck in them.

3. Nauseous

Nauseous Active Member

Yeah, I feel something when I eat something crunchy. Not really pain, just annoyance.

4. Lomotil

Lomotil Active Member

You should buy a Dremel moto-tool, and start it up just for fun... Listen to the motor and reminisce...

5. Nauseous

Nauseous Active Member

What's this shit about sandblasting? I heard they can use sand to blast the hole and fill it in. I don't think lidocaine is needed.

"Another advance is air abrasion, also called microdentistry, in which a little machine can sandblast away a small cavity. The idea is to treat the decay as early as possible, usually making anesthesia unnecessary. Air abrasion is often used on children.

"It's a little gritty, but most patients prefer it to a drill," says Harms. "You can do it without pain."

6. Lomotil

Lomotil Active Member

Stick your pinky finger in your browneye, then put it in the other cavity. Does it feel the same?

7. Nauseous

Nauseous Active Member

I hope you thought that was funny. I sure didn't.

8. Joeslogic

Joeslogic Active Member

No that was not funny it was hilarious. :p

9. Lomotil

Lomotil Active Member

At least someone appreciates the humor... :)

Honestly, I really was wondering "which" cavity you were talking about when I first read the thread title...

10. Neener

Neener New Member

Yeah, I've had enough cavities to know what it's like. It may not hurt right now, but if you leave it long enough it can easily get worse...THEN it will hurt. I'd get it fixed sooner than later, and I hate the dentist as much as anyone.

11. Lomotil

Lomotil Active Member

Really? Are any of those cavities currently available? I seriously need to drop a load, and as long as there's a little heat in there, I'm not that particular what kinda cavity I do it in...

12. drgsin

drgsin New Member

small painless cavities turn into root canals and crowns

13. Nauseous

Nauseous Active Member

I think I have one now. I wish the dentist didn't scare me so damn much. I'd rather go for a pap than have my teeth cleaned.

14. Cheezedawg

Cheezedawg New Member

You would rather have your uterus scraped than get the gunk scrapped off your teeth? You sure about that?

15. Nauseous

Nauseous Active Member

I think they scrape your cervix, but yes.

16. MAJ Havoc

MAJ Havoc Active Member

Let him know up front so he knows how to adjust the chair.