WEED

Discussion in 'General Mayhem' started by D, Feb 12, 2002.

1. D

D New Member

Good or bad?

Im already mentally retarded (as I have just been told)- so should I give it up?

2. Spooky

Spooky New Member

It's the only thing that keeps me sane!

3. Stranger

Stranger New Member

Give it up Wanker. There are very strong links between pot smoking and schizophrenia. In light of your preexisting disorders, and the fact that you are already so often delusional, I think it would be better if you stopped. Also avoid LSD. Stick to alcohol, Es and speed and any medication prescribed to you by your doctor.

4. Stranger

Stranger New Member

5. D

D New Member

well thats what he said.
    I dont do pills or shit though... just weed and booze...

6. Stranger

Stranger New Member

He was right. Just do booze then.
    Some drugs are not for everyone.

7. Nursey

Nursey Super Moderator

I think better than giving up weed would be to quit your compulsive lying.You might wake up one day,like maybe you have today,and discover you've forgotten what's real and what's not anymore...snigger

8. sparky69

sparky69 New Member

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="verdana">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Extremly FUCKED OFF Wank:
    Good or bad?

Im already mentally retarded (as I have just been told)- so should I give it up?
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

bad... very bad... very very bad...

9. Scrawine

Scrawine New Member

me likes smoking the weed.

10. Ulfur Engil

Ulfur Engil New Member

I just stick with booze, simply for the reason that I am still capable of fighting even when I am extremely drunk.

11. Dwaine Scum

Dwaine Scum New Member

weed is the onlything that keeps me from killing all day... draw your own conclusions

12. cardBOARD box homie

cardBOARD box homie New Member

13. gamine

gamine New Member

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="verdana">quote:</font><HR>Some drugs are not for everyone.
    --------------------

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>most drugs r for me

14. canine_STD

canine_STD New Member

Like I said before, don't go changing yourself for those reasons. Personally I don't smoke much weed cos when I do it's usualy in the company of strangers, and if they say something I don't understand I presume they're taking the piss and I usualy boot the fuckers in the face. If you like the smoke though, stick with it and think about what's going on. If it's starting now, think about how it'll continue! (Wank knows what I mean)

15. Nauseous

Nauseous Active Member

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="verdana">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Stranger:
    There are very strong links between pot smoking and schizophrenia.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I want proof.

16. Stranger

Stranger New Member

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="verdana">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Nauseous:
    I want proof. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Back when I was doing my Psych degree we had a very cool professor who set us the task of writing a paper on Pink Floyd The Wall. While most of the class focused on the Freudian aspects I was more interested in what type of drugs he was taking and what he would be diagnosed with.
    I did a lot of research on hellucinogens, psychopharmacology and pathophysiology. To the best of my memory and without regurgitating the whole paper, basically it comes down to this..
    Patiens with schizophrenia have a hyperactive dopamine system.(this is one of the suspected causes of the disorder). Most of the antipsychotic medication prescribed to clients diagnosed with schzophrenia aims to increase leves of (or mimic) the lipid anandomide which reduces dopamine levels in the brain.
    THC increases dopamine production, giving you the altered state of reality. So smoking pot counteracts the medication bringing the client back to baseline and increases the positive symptoms in those not medicated (not positive as in 'good'. as in 'adds to' like hellucinations, delusions etc.. as opposed to 'negative symptoms' such as apathy, catatonic states etc..)
    The higher levels of dopamin produced by smoking pot can also trigger the onset of the disorder in those people with a predisposition to it. This is not to say that smoking weed causes schitzophrenia but if, for example, both your parents or your twin has the disorder you are a lot more likely to develope it yourself and smoking marijuana would not be advisable.
    So, yeah, none of this is 'proof' but there is no proof in psychology, no more than there is 'normal'.
    And I think pot is great myself, but like I said it is not good for everybody.

17. Stranger

Stranger New Member

Here are some (easy to skip) references if you are still interested in looking it up for yourself:

Allebeck, P.; Adamsson, C.; Engstrom, A.; and Rydberg. U. Cannabis and schizophrenia: a longitudinal study of cases treated in Stockholm County. Acta Psychiatry Scandanavia. 88; 21-24. 1993. (anything by these guys)

Baker, H. M., Suicide/schizophrenia : consequences of acute and chronic cannabis use : presented to the Joint Parliamentary Committee on the National Crime Authority Inquiry into Drugs, Crime and Society, Maryborough, Qld., 1988

Behnke, M. and Eyler, F. D., "The Consequences of prenatal substance use for the developing fetus, newborn, and young child", The International Journal of the Addictions, 28(13), 1993, pp. 1341-1391

Bland, R. C., Newman, S. C. and Orn, H., "Schizophrenia: lifetime co-morbidity in a community sample", Acta Psychiatrica Scandinavica, 75, 1987, pp. 383-391

Capriotti, Richard M., et. al., "Effects of marijuana on the task-elicited physiological response", Drug and Alcohol Dependence, 21, 1988, pp. 183-187

Clark, Robert R., "Marijuana use associated with first episode of psychiatric illness in an adolescent population", The American Journal on Addictions, Vol. 3, No. 1, Winter 1994, pp. 67-71

Cleghorn, John M., et. al., "Substance abuse and schizophrenia: effect on symptoms but not on neurocognitive function", Journal of Clinical Psychiatry, 52:1, January 1991, pp. 26-30

F.M. Leweke, A. Giuffrida, U. Wurster, H.M. Emrich, and D. Piomelli, "Elevated endogenous cannabinoids in schizophrenia," Neuroreport, vol. 10, no. 83, June 1999, pp. 1665-1669

Fowler, Dr I. L., Substance abuse and schizophrenia : a pilot study, Merewether, N.S.W., November 1992

Hall, W., Solowij, N., and Lemon, J., The Health and Psychological Consequences of Cannabis Use. Monograph series no. 25, Canberra : A.G.P.S., 1994

Lachance, R., "Effects of marijuanna on schizophrenics", Psychiatric Nursing, April 1986, pp. 11-13

Linszen, Don H., Dingemans, Peter M., Lenior, Marie, E., "Cannabis abuse and the course of recent-onset schizophrenic disorders", Arch. Gen. Psychiatry, Vol. 51, April 1994, pp. 273-279

McGuire, Phillip K., et. al., "Cannabis and acute psychosis"[B/], Schizophrenia Research, 13, 1994, pp. 161-168

Martinez-Arevalo, M. J., Calcedo-OrdoƱez, A., Varo-Prieto, J. R., "Cannabis consumption as a prognostic factor in schizophrenia", British Journal of Psychiatry, 164, 1994, pp. 679-681

Mathers, D.C. and Ghodse, A. H., "Cannabis and psychotic illness", British Journal of Psychiatry, 161, 1992, pp. 648-653

Nahas, G., Latour, C., Hardy, N., Pathophysiology related to marihuana smoking, October 1991

Negrete, J. C., et. al., "Cannabis effects the severity of schizophrenic symptoms: results of a clinical survey", Psych. Med., 16, 1986, pp. 515-520

Newman, R. and Miller, N., "Substance abuse and psychosis", Current Opinion Psychiatry, 5, 1992, 25-28

18. Stranger

Stranger New Member

19. Stranger

Stranger New Member

And here is the Sparkey and Wank version..
    Drugs are bad mmmkaaay.

20. Nauseous

Nauseous Active Member

Someone has been doing their homework!

I thought you were implying that marijuana causes schizophrenia. Of course it doesn't. But, schizophrenics tend to 'self medicate' with marijuana (and alcohol). I myself smoke entirely too much pot. I was also told a year ago by my psychiatrist that I may be schizophrenic or have schizotypal personality disorder... I haven't went back since. He was a piece of shit doctor with one arm. I wasted hundreds of dollars going to that asshole. I've read a lot about schizophrenia and I can diagnose myself (for a helluva lot less than 150 bucks an hour) as not schizophrenic. I may be no slave to fashion, but I don't wear outlandish clothes. I also bathe regularly... actually more than regularly. (OCD perhaps? ) And I don't believe that I am The Virgin Mary or that Satan talks to me on a regular basis. But I can say that smoking pot makes me 10 times more flaky and paranoid.

Back when online diagnosis was free here, I was diagnosed with all kinds of shit.

Bottom line:
    Everyone's crazy.