Upgrading these forums

Discussion in 'General Mayhem' started by Fugly, Sep 7, 2002.

1. Fugly

Fugly Administrator Staff Member Fugly Staff

I think it would be a good idea for me to upgrade these forums to this: http://www.infopop.com/products/ubbthreads/

Nothing will be lost and everyone's account will transfer over to the new program. It will just be faster, better and have more features.

What do you all think of this?

2. Dwaine Scum

Dwaine Scum New Member

hey as long as we can still call people fucking morons, and make teenage cunts cry in here, Im all about an upgrade

3. GreenAppleSplatters

GreenAppleSplatters New Member

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="verdana">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by IMC hates you:
    hey as long as we can still call people fucking morons, and make teenage cunts cry in here, Im all about an upgrade<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I second that.That's pretty much what we're all about here at Fugly.

4. pimpchichi

pimpchichi Active Member

5. Fugly

Ok. Consider it done then. Sometime next week I'll upgrade this thing to the new, fancy-schmancy UBB.threads.

6. Fugly

7. pimpchichi

pimpchichi Active Member

whoah hold on a sec... that threads thing doesn't look all that great.. it loses too many features of this board, and doesn't gain any features that would make me want to change boards over... the only things that i can really see being useful that we would gain are message preview and member lists & maybe that reminder thing... but we'd lose, smilies, quotes, changable display names, PM ignore lists and floodcheck.... i don't really see the point... it seems to be an upgrade for the sake of it..

if you want to improve this forum.. why not use phpBB2 ?.. i think it'd make a much better upgrade, and it's open source...

i know we'd not be able to export all these threads.. but surely you can lock this forum and just keep it as an archive....

8. pimpchichi

pimpchichi Active Member

hmm.. i just tested it out (ubb.threads) and there are smilies (ugly ones though).. and quotes.. (but they don't seem to work as well as in here)... maybe it's worth a try...

9. Nursey

Nursey Super Moderator

I like this forum the way it is.

10. ratatouille

ratatouille New Member

uh, i am afraid of learning anything new. and i cant read too good, so its up to you other folks.

11. Yummy

Yummy New Member

how about just bringing back the edit feature???

as long as you might be reading this thread, why don't you submit Fugly to ASS if he gets his shit together you might get more hits, make some more money, and maybe someday be profitable... I am just looking out for the future of Fugly...where else could I find such high quality forums?

12. cardBOARD box homie

cardBOARD box homie New Member

the phpbb2 looks good but id only want to implement new forums if there was no loss of features and it was faster

13. tommy710

tommy710 Active Member

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="verdana">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Nursey:
    I like this forum the way it is.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

yeh ,me too martin stop fucking around with it and leave it alone

14. Fugly

The PHP/MySQL version of this will be MUCH faster and we won't have to lose any of the data from this version. I'll look into it some more to see what features, if any, will be lost.

15. Ulfur Engil

Ulfur Engil New Member

As long as everyone's account info isn't lost, I would personally be fine with either version.

16. Lomotil

Lomotil Active Member

I'd really hate to lose the "changeable display names," it adds another fun element to the forums - everything else I can live with.

Just my $0.02 worth...

17. Tojo Burbage

Tojo Burbage New Member

The march of technology is remorseless and unrelenting. We must grasp new ideals and new practices or face the prospect of being left behind and developing a backward looking mentality that benefits no-one.

Jesus this Northern Lights shit is lethal.

Go for it Martin.