Unruly Republicans Disrupt Health Care Debate

Discussion in 'Politics' started by StackedDeck, Nov 7, 2009.

1. StackedDeck

StackedDeck New Member

GOP Gone Wild: Unruly Republicans Disrupt Health Care Debate With Screams, Shouts, And Delay Tactics
    This morning, the House began consideration of the rule for debate of the House health care bill. As the Democratic Women’s Caucus took to the microphone on the House floor to offer their arguments for how the bill would benefit women, House Republicans — led by Rep. Tom Price (R-GA) — repeatedly talked over, screamed, and shouted objections. “I object, I object, I object,” Price interjected as Rep. Lois Capps (D-CA) tried to hold the floor.

In an effort to delay and derail the proceedings, the Republicans continually talked over the Democratic women for half an hour. They sought to prevent the debate by calling for unnecessary “parliamentary inquiries” and requests for “expanding the debate” by an hour.

After being repeatedly interrupted by Republican shouts, Rep. Mary Jo Kilroy (D-OH) observed:

Do I not have the right to be able to continue my sentence without objections that are trying to censor my remarks here on the floor that I have a right to make as a member of this House?

Watch a compilation:

The presiding chair of the House, Rep. John Dingell (D-MI) tried to assuage the Republican raucous, without much success. The debate must be conducted with “a measure of comity and grace and decency,” Dingell urged. “There’s no advantage to be achieved by making all this fuss,” he told the Republican caucus.

http://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=385x399889

Last edited: Nov 7, 2009