Trying to install Vista on a PC woes...

Discussion in 'Technology' started by Lomotil, Nov 14, 2008.

1. Lomotil

Lomotil Active Member

Cliff's notes:

HP Pavilion a6040n PC.

Acquired it without a HDD.

Tried installing Vista on a 250 gig SATA HDD pulled from some Dish Network (or similar) DVR unit.

Will boot to the "Windows is now loading" screen, while using a legal 'student' copy of Vista Ultimate I bought at school - next screen is a color gradient pattern that animates into a white-wash, and the PC just hangs there.

Tried removing jumpers, switching SATA cable to other sockets on the mobo, flashing the BIOS, and still to no avail. I have not tried swapping out the RAM yet - setup seems to recognize it, but I was thinking the problem might be the following...

I know my Vista install DVD is a 32-bit edition, and any research online claims the PC to be 64-bit "capable" - does that mean it will only run a 64-bit OS? Is this the problem, or is it something else?

Signed,
    "Stuck with a doorstop"

2. phatboy

phatboy New Member

I was under the impression that a 64-bit system needed a 64-bit OS. I do have a couple of servers with 32-bit server 03, but when I got my new ones, and wanted to max out the ram, I had to move to 64-bit because the 32-bit OS wouldnt recognize past 8gb.

I would call Bill and ask him 'wtf'?

I dont like Vista and look forward to whatever they replace it with in 09.

3. Lomotil

Lomotil Active Member

I'm trying to get an OEM 64-bit Vista copy right now... I've got a legit key from the sticker on the PC itself, I just don't want one of those 'cracked' versions that are floating around.

4. phatboy

phatboy New Member

Yea, those are shit. Most times they dont even work.

Let me know how you like it once you get it squared away.

5. Lomotil

Lomotil Active Member

I've never really fucked with Vista (had this 'student license' ultimate edition since before I graduated, well over a year now - yet never installed it on anything.) A few friends ask for help from time to time, and they're running Vista, and other than their computers, I've never actually explored it.

Got an LCD iMac a few months ago running OS 10.4... have it set up next to my CRT eMac... Funny how easy it is to erase an administrator's password on one of those things. I really want to get some good video editing software for that one, but haven't even started yet.

All in good time, I suppose... Can someone point me in the direction of the 'good time' aisle?

6. Nauseous

Nauseous Active Member

I just got a new laptop and it has Vista on it and I'm not a big fan of it. I don't like the way it asks for permission for everything.

7. Joeslogic

Joeslogic Active Member

What are the bios settings available for memory and for processor?

I have never used Vista is there a safe mode? Cause it looks like a driver issue. Boot it without anything but a keyboard and monitor. Remove any devices attached and even un needed pci cards such as sound cards.

8. Joeslogic

Joeslogic Active Member

I bet its got onboard video if you have a video card to use and a slot available disable the onboard video and use a different video card.

9. Lomotil

Lomotil Active Member

I'm going to have to reply to this when I'm sober tomorrow... All I can say is that I've got this skeleton PC with only a brand new HDD, processor, RAM, DVD, mouse, monitor, & keyboard attached to it. And... I think I need a 64-bit version of Vista that I can activate via the sticker license attached to the computer itself.

10. nolo451

nolo451 New Member

You can disable the User Account Control(UAC), I did and it hasnt bugged me since the day I started using it.

I just followed insttructions from some guy I talked to about this like a year ago:

One of the most annoying things in Vista is the protection of your system through UAC. Before I knew how to disable it I considered throwing the system out the window. The purpose of UAC is to make you confirm a large number of everyday functions in order to somehow protect your system from malware infections. In any case heres how to shut it off (or turn it back on).

1. Click on start and then click on your username picture top right of the start menu.
    2. Click on 'Turn User Account Control on or off.'
    3. Uncheck (or check) User Account Control, select ok and restart.

http://forum.notebookreview.com/showthread.php?t=166532

11. Joeslogic

Joeslogic Active Member

Your probably right I have no idea about Vista.

12. Nauseous

Nauseous Active Member

Cool. Thanks.

13. Lomotil

Lomotil Active Member

The problem I'm running into is that I have a SATA HDD pulled from a DVR (TIVO, Roadrunner, etc. box - plenty of room, but not formatted.)

I ordered a SATA/USB cable tonight to hopefully format the HDD via another computer, as this is the first problem I ran across during my research (granted, I have no other SATA capable computers at the moment.)

Hopefully, once I can convince this HDD that it's no longer working for a TIVO, reformat it, and stick it back in the HP Pavilion box, I will yield better results.

Even with the 64-bit install DVD, I get to the "examining" screen, then it fades into a colorful pastel wash that fades into complete white - and it hangs there... forever.

Tried moving jumpers, removing them, etc., but the same result.

14. Nauseous

Nauseous Active Member

I don't know if it is Vista or this cheap Walmart laptop I just got, but get windows errors all the fucking time. Vista asks what you want to do and whatever option you pick, it says that's looking for a solution to the problem or something like that (then why did you ask me?) and then it shuts down. I hate it and I pretty much hate this cheap ass laptop.

15. phatboy

phatboy New Member

Pukey - you should have shot me a note. I just got a new Dell for 600.00 for my daughters christmas with 2 years extended warranty. It did come with Vista (I thought about the downgrade, but thas 100.00 more bucks)

Dual C0re
    4GBRAM
    16x DVD +/- RW

16. Nauseous

Nauseous Active Member

I don't think it's the laptop. I think it's Vista. My husband got the same laptop and did some tweaking to his and he doesn't get those errors. He just needs to mess with mine. I'm giving my old laptop to my parents. I kinda hate to see it go. I like it better than the new one, but it's a few years old now and I'm afraid it won't have the system requirements to run the Sims 3 and if I can't build houses, I will be sad.

17. homer

homer Member

My Dad ordered a new computer from Dell a few months back through our local phone company.They didn't tell him that they don't provide highspeed in his area and they didn't give him enough ram to run Vista so when it came he basically had a paperweight.Had Vista removed and went with highspeed cable,still didn't like Vista so had that removed and Xp intalled and works great now.My Dell is 4yrs old and still works like the day I got it.I think I'll wait for Windows new operating system.

18. Nauseous

Nauseous Active Member

Yeah. I think I am going to put XP on it instead.

The only thing I like is the bubbles screen saver.