Thylacine

Discussion in 'More Serious Topics' started by Incredulous, Jul 3, 2006.

1. Incredulous

Incredulous New Member

Click

This is just something random that I looked up one day. The more I learn about them, the more I want to learn. There are a lot of diverse opinions on this board, so I wanted to ask you guys what you thought. Supposedly there have been Thylacine sightings since they were declared extinct in 1936. I've scoured the web for pictures but can't find many at all. There have been pictures taken but 'accidently' lost by Tasmanian forrestry officials. Apparently Tasmania isn't willing to admit these things are still around because they're biggest industry is wood chipping, which is systematically mowing down the remaining Thylacine habitat. If Thylacines are proven to exist beyond a shadow of doubt, then no more tree cutting.

Some nay-sayers have likened Thylacine sightings to bigfoot and loch ness monster sightings. I've tried to keep an objective view of both sides of the arguement, for and against continued Thylacine existance. I've emailed and gotten responses from advocates on both sides, and it's way interesting stuff. So far, the 'for' side is winning me over. (but then I have to ask myself is it because I want them to still exist?) In any case, I was sent a really crappy video taken in the 80's of an animal running across a road. The video was taken from the inside of a car so it's pretty blurry. After watching this video about a hundred times, and having a limited knowlege of Thylacine behaviour... I can only say that it looks like a Thylacine to me. Especially watching it frame by frame. Since all of the advocates for Thylacine existance pretty much want the word out there, I'm going to ask the person that sent me the video if he minds that I post it here. I don't think he will, but I want to make sure. I've not come across this particular video on the net.

I wanted to share this. Maybe some of you will think it's interesting to research, too.

2. smurfslappa

smurfslappa New Member

Yeah, it probably does exist and yeah, they don't want to admit it so they can keep mowing the habitat. Oh well. If you can't beat em, eat em. It looks like it'd be a tough chew, though.

3. Incredulous

Incredulous New Member

Tough chew? The Thylacine or the loggers?

4. XerxesX

XerxesX New Member

From the text:
    What constitutes a minimum gene-pool , and how easy will such a minimum hide ?

Cryptozology is a field full of shysters. You should rather enjoy the pictures taken of the mythical kraken.

It could be a protoplasmic echo, but that would no longer be cryptozoology.

5. Joeslogic

Joeslogic Active Member

I saw the video a while back that was grainy and black and while with the suspected "thylacine" if I remember correct was fenced in? If this is the same video then I'd say it could have been a hyena with mange for all I know. Or whatever those wild dogs are called down under the name escapes me at this time.

One think about ufo, bigfoot, alien, thylacine ....etc, sightings is it just coincidence that the picture or video frames are consistently always grainy or blurry? I think it’s not coincidence.

6. diogenes

diogenes New Member

Dingo.

7. Joeslogic

Joeslogic Active Member

No thats the farmers dog. There was a farmer had a dog..... :p

8. Incredulous

Incredulous New Member

The last captive Thylacine died in 1936. That might have something to do with the poor video quality. As far as I know, Bigfoot wasn't ever in captivity.
    Short video

Unlike ufo's, bigfoot, krackens, phoenix, the tooth fairy, fancy trailer parks, or tasteful displays of pink yard flamingos, Thylacines are/were 'real' things. They existed on mainland Australia as well as Tasmania. The introduction of the dingo is speculated to be the demise of the Thylacine on the mainland, but there are no dingos on Tasmania. They were primarily hunted to extinction by white settlers. I'm not saying there's still a rogue population on Tasmania somewhere, just that it would be a neat "what if." The video I was sent was taken in 1974 from a car, so it's not a good one. I took it frame by frame and watched the body mechanics as well. It's different, that's for sure. Also the tail is very Thylacine like.

If anybody wants it, I'll email it to you. I don't have web space to upload it to to post a link in here.

9. XerxesX

XerxesX New Member

The Kracken is quite real. Dead examples of these giant squids have washed up on shore many places, and about a year ago japanses scientists were able to take pictures of a young specimen 8)

As for unidentified flying objects. Theyr were flying, they were unidentified, and some of them damn sure were objects

10. phatboy

phatboy New Member

A dingo ate your baby.....

11. Incredulous

Incredulous New Member

Kracken's weren't squids. Didn't you watch, "Clash of the Titans"?

12. Joeslogic

Joeslogic Active Member

Dig up a Thylacine and save some DNA. With advances in Genetics and DNA research soon you will be able to take a dingo egg and inject Thylacine DNA. Whala! There you have it an authentic Thylacine to keep for yourself as a pet.

On another note 74 I would guess would be likely three thylacine generations ago. Without much of a gene pool they would be doomed I would think to small of a gene pool to possibly still exist unless in 74 they were still around in significant numbers. But what do I know. :?

13. Incredulous

Incredulous New Member

They have some Thylacine DNA. Several babies preserved in alcohol.. but they'de have to rebuild the structure too much, I think, for it to work. They've also been talking about trying to extract some DNA from the pelts that are still around and the critters that were taxidermied. I'm not sure about this, but I would imagine the skins would have to be treated chemically for that to happen too, right?

They've been looking for a suitable host to splice Thylacine DNA with, but the closest sorta-kinda viable relative is either the Tasmanian Devil or some other marcupial that I'm not familliar with. Both are way smaller than the Thylacine, though. Who knows?

While I think it would be awesome if there was still a few left in the world, I'm not so sure people should concentrate on 'bringing them back' if they are truely extinct. There are a lot more endangered animals on the planet that need saving. If if if there were a couple Thylacines found alive at some point, and captured, they would probably die without reproducing naturally. (but then I wouldn't feel like making babies if I was stuck in a small concrete enclosure, either) They never reproduced in captivity. Of course, with the technology today, scientists could take Thylacine bits and pieces and throw them in a blender and then implant them in a female.

Neat vacation idea.. I'm going to Tasmania for a few weeks, camping. :D Just because I can!

14. TheStreaker1337

TheStreaker1337 New Member

You know what's funny? I've seen african american males that have snow white spots on their arms and legs. Does that mean that they have white ancestry? You wouldn't think so, seeing as this has been seen in villages in places where only blacks would inhabit. No one knows nature, quit trying to predict it, just enjoy what it gives you.

TheStreaker

15. Incredulous

Incredulous New Member

Appaloosa tribe.