Suggested reading

Discussion in 'Complaints, Requests and Suggestions.' started by ucicare, Feb 2, 2006.

1. ucicare

ucicare Active Member

This is the suggestion forum, right?

I started reading Scientific American Mind magazine a few months ago. It is one of the few magazines I have found that is worth the $5.95 cover price. It is the only subscription I have had in the past three years.

Also, A book called "All over but the Shoutin'" by Rick Bragg. The author grew up near where I live, and he understands exactly what it is to be born a "redneck" and to work to escape that mindset. It is the only book that I can ever remember reading that made me cry.

One more - Black Boy, by Richard Wright. I was born in Birmingham, Alabama in 1959. I read it when I was 13 years old, and it changed everything about how I viewed "Negroes" (as they were called then.) I was being raised to be a good white Southern racist, and the book changed everything I believed.

Pardon me for being serious for a moment. I will post something crude or arrogant later.

Barry

2. smurfslappa

smurfslappa New Member

Does have any articles about the end of the world?

Does it talk about the end of the world, hence the title?

Does it talk about the end of black people?

3. chester grape

chester grape New Member

For a great alternative history of Australia (if you give a shit), A Secret Country by John Pilger is well worth the cover price.

And a great potted history of Sydney is a book called Leviathan, by John Birmingham.

4. TheGrimJesus

TheGrimJesus New Member

What history you where all the fucks the brits did not want anymore so they found the farthest away place to stick ya.

5. chester grape

chester grape New Member

You might want to check out why the Pilgrims left England before you go casting stones there, Grimy.

6. TheGrimJesus

TheGrimJesus New Member

Yeah but we left on our own, Not prison boats. But hey I still like you guys.

7. smurfslappa

smurfslappa New Member

OoOooOhh dis. I forgot that's what your people are Chester, ex-cons.

8. chester grape

chester grape New Member

"My" people are actually working class English (on my mother's side) and Russian immigrants (on my father's side). But I'll pass your best wishes onto my convict-heritage mates.

Do the same from me, to all the descendents of those unwanted and illiterate, bible-thumping hick farmers? Thanks.

9. smurfslappa

smurfslappa New Member

Oh I know my people suck. We suck the hardest of all, think we're the hottest shit, and are the fattest in the world. We are the infidels, but I like pointing out other nations shortcomings, too.

10. DrBungle

DrBungle New Member

Yes, well my dad could kick your dads ass! He would make him fucking cry! Like, right in front of his own mother. He'd kick your dads ass until he cried and would set him on fire all while mama watched.

11. ucicare

ucicare Active Member

Any chance we could get back on topic?

I thought not.

12. TheGrimJesus

TheGrimJesus New Member

If I wanted to point out shortcomings, I would have said something about the ammount of drag queens they have. Also 10 night crews at Waffle House have more teeth in there head then one of there major cities population.

But I didn't til now.

13. chester grape

chester grape New Member

Are you volunteering to moderate a literature forum, Barry?

14. smurfslappa

smurfslappa New Member

Ugh, are you volunteering the wussification of Fugly? Fuck a literature forum.

15. ucicare

ucicare Active Member

Nah, I only read about a book a year.

I read tons of journals articles and stuff like that, but my "reading for fun" is pretty limited.

Barry

16. SPOooOn

SPOooOn New Member

Trying to get you back on track

Anyone ever tried Pratched? Not only the Discworld series, for instance "Good Omens"

That's one for you Smurf. . it is about the end of the world

17. SPOooOn

SPOooOn New Member

Pratchet, that is. .

18. XerxesX

XerxesX New Member

Good Omens is great. Granny Weatherwax rocks too.
    Read Robert Rankin ?

19. smurfslappa

smurfslappa New Member

Oh...Yeah... end of the world stuff you say? I gotta check that out yo.

Got anything about the end of black people?

20. Dwaine Scum

Dwaine Scum New Member

Jim Goad, Shit Magnet is a great read