Should I buy this house?

Discussion in 'General Mayhem' started by Nauseous, May 17, 2003.

1. Nauseous

Nauseous Active Member

I think this house is fucking beautiful. The garage comes with it and the back yard is pretty decent. It has pocket doors and bitchin' fireplaces. I've already driven past it 4 times tonight. The awning will be gone ASAP and I see stained glass in the circular window upstairs.

For those of you who don't know what pocket doors are...

The house is 18k and needs a shitload of work. Should I buy it? I need a place to raise my baby.

2. stymie

stymie New Member

Where I live something like that would cost around £150,000. I aint joking. Looks like it needs a shit load of work doing to it.

3. Icenhour

Icenhour New Member

I dont know where you live but you cant get a half a house for that here... or a mobile home (trailer)

get an inspecter... you can get a loan for like 100k for fix ups... 30 year ... about 900 a month with p&i

are the surounding houses fixed up?
    is the area booming? new businesses...
    whats the going rate for a house that size in the area? What is condition of the wood..any rot, termites... how is the foundation, how long has it been vacant

I think its awsome...
    if you buy it and it turns out to be a BAD decision... opps... a fire

I bought my first house 4 years ago...and now have a few shittie houses that a rent out... # 1 lesson I have learned ... get estimates from 5 contractors before picking...#2 read all small print...

try to do a 15 year loan... You save TONS... and make 1 extra payment a year...
    I am 25 and I will have my house paid off by age 30...

BTW I love those doors,,, but dont be what real estate agents hope to find...dont be a typical girl and buy a house for a litttle reason like that...

I know this post is full of typos and mis spellings... I have 2 many things open right now ... and I cant open word to spell chaeck it

4. stymie

stymie New Member

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="verdana">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by stymie:
    Looks like it needs a shit load of work doing to it.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Erm... sorry you said it did.

5. Lomotil

Lomotil Active Member

Buy the place, then we don't have to look for an abandoned warehouse when I come up there...

6. Lomotil

Lomotil Active Member

...and then we can ride our bikes upstairs and fall through the hole in the floor, too!

BTW: I suggest watching The Money Pit sometime soon, too...

7. 1337

1337 New Member

its gonna be haunted for sure, but the price is right

8. theonlylivingboy

theonlylivingboy New Member

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="verdana">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by stymie:
    Where I live something like that would cost around £150,000. I aint joking. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

This is true, I've just paid £12000 (just over $18000) for a conservatory measuring 4mts x 3 mts). In this country we get ripped off at every fucking turn. The price of CD's, cars and golf equipment is a never ending source of irritation.

9. ratatouille

ratatouille New Member

thats the kind of house where flies will attack you in the attic. its Amityville Horror-esque. dont do it.

you have been warned.

10. Disorder

Disorder New Member

did a psycho live there before? or was that the first inspirational, and badly needed, piece of DIY you decided to do?

11. Nauseous

Nauseous Active Member

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="verdana">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Icenhour:
    I dont know where you live but you cant get a half a house for that here... or a mobile home (trailer)

get an inspecter... you can get a loan for like 100k for fix ups... 30 year ... about 900 a month with p&i

are the surounding houses fixed up?
    is the area booming? new businesses...
    whats the going rate for a house that size in the area? What is condition of the wood..any rot, termites... how is the foundation, how long has it been vacant

I think its awsome...
    if you buy it and it turns out to be a BAD decision... opps... a fire

I bought my first house 4 years ago...and now have a few shittie houses that a rent out... # 1 lesson I have learned ... get estimates from 5 contractors before picking...#2 read all small print...

try to do a 15 year loan... You save TONS... and make 1 extra payment a year...
    I am 25 and I will have my house paid off by age 30...

BTW I love those doors,,, but dont be what real estate agents hope to find...dont be a typical girl and buy a house for a litttle reason like that...

I know this post is full of typos and mis spellings... I have 2 many things open right now ... and I cant open word to spell chaeck it
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Uh... 900 dollars a month? Shit, I only make $9/hr! And to have 5 inspectors come look at the place... you're talking at least $1,500! Did you notice the house? It's white and trashy... like me.

It's in a good location. All of the houses on the street are that big and I'd say there may be about 3 or 4 other houses on the street that look pretty rough... The houses on that street range in value. Prolly anywhere from 18k (this one) to 150k. There is no zoning in WV... at least not in my town.

I'm calling tomorrow to set up a time I can look at it. I've had 4 people tell me they would go with me to look at it, but none of them know jack about contracting, so I'm basically fucked.

12. Nauseous

Nauseous Active Member

Where I live something like that would cost around £150,000. I aint joking. Looks like it needs a shit load of work doing to it.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Are you talking EUR or GBP?

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="verdana">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by ratilla the hun
    thats the kind of house where flies will attack you in the attic. its Amityville Horror-esque.

dont do it.
    you have been warned.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

All the more reason to buy it.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="verdana">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Fucking Halfwit:
    did a psycho live there before? or was that the first inspirational, and badly needed, piece of DIY you decided to do?
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

WTF is a DIY?

13. Nauseous

Nauseous Active Member

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="verdana">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Highclass Whitetrash:
    its gonna be haunted for sure, but the price is right<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Do you believe on ghosts?

Moreover, do any of you people believe in ghosts?

Lomo, you have 12 days.....

14. Lomotil

Lomotil Active Member

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="verdana">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Nauseous:
    WTF is a DIY? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Do It Yourself

15. DADDY

DADDY New Member

OH MY GOD! $18,000 dollars?!? I need to get the hell out of latte' land. That thing would fetch $250,000 here in the Puget Sound area, even in its present state. There is no such thing as a house that is older than about 75 years here. If you can find something that old, its either about to be torn down or its been bought by some Microsoft millionare that has dumped half his stock options into it.

From the looks of the pictures, I can see some extensive dry rot in the exterior siding. The roof appears to be at least two layers deep and from the stains on the floors, leaking. I noticed some old cloth covered wiring hanging down next to the fireplace, so you will have to deal with outdated electrical and all the joy that brings. I am going to guess that there is quite a bit of galvanized plumbing throughout which means sediment buildup and low water pressure. The upstairs windows seem to be broken out(hence forth the plywood), so you get to learn first hand about rebuilding double hung windows with a pocket weight! The list could go on....

Long story short of it is that it looks like a perfect candidate for This Old House with Norm and Bob. The only problem with that is they have a fat bank account and lots of people with the knowhow to fix it up again. Just be forewarned that if you dont have any experience with remodeling or do it yourself stuff, you will need to learn VERY quickly or marry into the Villa family, cause that shit is expensive and time consuming to have somebody else do!

Not trying to be a downer, just trying to "keep it real" and not let the nastalgia of owning an old house ruin your life financialy and mentaly(and they will,quickly)!

16. Lomotil

Lomotil Active Member

"Daddy" - that was a well thought-out post, very informative, and for the most part, very accurate. You've got a great eye to make out the cloth-covered electrical wires. I agree with you for the most part, and hope Nauseous does, too. But "Nostalgia" is spelled with an O. Just an FYI, JIC.

17. Nicodemus

Nicodemus New Member

hell yes

18. DADDY

DADDY New Member

DAMN! There is a critic in EVERY forum! )

Think of it this way Lomo, at least I am NOT devdev!

19. Cigarettes

Cigarettes New Member

Can't you afford anything better. The color sucks. Hey....buy it and fix it up, then sell it for a profit.

20. Lomotil

Lomotil Active Member

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="verdana">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by DADDY:
    Think of it this way Lomo, at least I am NOT devdev! <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

This is true...