Router problem (linksys)?

Discussion in 'Technology' started by Nauseous, Jun 13, 2008.

1. Nauseous

Nauseous Active Member

I think it would have to be my wireless router connection because the computer connected through the ethernet cable has internet (so it's not IP related), but my laptop doesn't. I know it's not the laptop because it can connect to my neighbor's wireless connection (how safe is that anyway?) and they have the same IP (I checked) and a Belkin router and I was able to surf at 36mps.

The whole problem started out with not being able to connect at all. It was saying my strength was "very good" and that I was connected at 54.0 mps (very slow). I disabled, enabled, repaired, etc. I reset the modem and then the router. I did all of the simple shit. Now when I search for wireless connections in my range, I don't even show up anymore. Just my neighbor.

My husband won't help me because I wouldn't give him a HJ the night before so I'm on my own.

Any ideas? Giving the HJ for help is not an option.

2. BullGod666

BullGod666 Member

I had a similar problem the other night and ended up reinstalling the linksys software back onto the computer closest to the modem and router, (my wifes custom desktop full of lights and w/lexan side panel) and it came back to life. I think that sometimes when a modem gets reset or you lose power it screws up the settings in the router. worth a shot, good luck.

3. Nauseous

Nauseous Active Member

Thanks, I think I will try that. I thought about it last night but it was getting late.

4. Robman97

Robman97 Member

Some of the Linksys routers are having problems with that crap. Mine will either lose itself completely and I mean the software says there is no router attached or it turns into a gateway without a wireless signal. I usually have to unplug it a few times and get the darn thing to recognize itself again.

5. Nauseous

Nauseous Active Member

I unplugged it several times. This is the first time I've ever had this problem with it in years.

6. Robman97

Robman97 Member

Has the firmware been recently upgraded? Seems the newer Models and older ones with the newer Firmware are the ones having problems.

7. India Najones

India Najones New Member

Go to Start -> run and type, "cmd"

type,. "netstat" and see what it shows

copy and paste here.

type "ipconfig /all"

copy and paste here

try "ipconfig /release all" and then "ipconfig /renew all" and see

reboot

if problem persists, please advise.

I get paid 40 cents per hour to fix for AOL. Sad but true. They charge much more.

8. India Najones

India Najones New Member

Can you log in to router? Perhaps your husband is trying to sniff and he is not very smart and is blocking you.

9. nolo451

nolo451 New Member

I had a linksys once. Never again will I buy their stuff, two routers, I would keep having connectivity issues. I just bought a Belkin router, no software needed to install. You just hook up the router, secure it, and your set.

10. phatboy

phatboy New Member

I use and old D-link, 54 Extreme (Some BS like that), that I have had for years. Every now and then it will drop, but comes right back. I have had to reset the router via the web interface, but that has been pretty rare.

Have you tried resetting it back to 'OEM' and then do the re-install? You shouldnt have to install any of their crap software to access the router. I would do a hard reset, check to see if there is a firmware update available, update it, then see what happens.

11. Nauseous

Nauseous Active Member

He fixed it. I cant remember what he did though.

Thanks everyone. I'm sure I will have more probs.

Wait'll he finds out that I split the modem with a cheap splitter. He'll be bumming on Xbox live... but I have cable in my comp room now.

12. Lomotil

Lomotil Active Member

Just get a -3.5 (x2) rated splitter, and you shouldn't notice much lag.

13. Zoop

Zoop New Member

I have a linksys and had the same sort of problem, I phoned linkses in the end and they did a bit of setting up for me and it all seems fine now.