POLL # 1 - 2-D vs. 3-D

Discussion in 'Technology' started by Lomotil, Jul 9, 2006.

?

If you had to choose ONLY one...

1. 2-D side-scroller / top-view RPG

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. 3-D adventure / FPS-game

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Lomotil

Lomotil Active Member

Ok, this is one for the hardcore gamers out there...

Consider this a broad question, not limited to the choices above, but as a vague question regarding:

2-D vs. 3-D?

2. DrBungle

DrBungle New Member

Aint nothing wrong with a fun FPS though!

3. Lomotil

Lomotil Active Member

So, were you the one person that voted "3-D?"

Just curious, and this ties in with the other topic...

Just how many of the people that favored 3-D also voted for "wind-down" time?

4. DrBungle

DrBungle New Member

Nay, I am one of the (current) four that would take the 2D side scroller/rpg game over the others. But, my stance is a little dated, the last few games I've played through have been God of War and Halo.

Also we have evolving genre's. Metroid Prime games are in first person, but they are by no means fps.

5. Joeslogic

Joeslogic Active Member

Nah that was my vote but I'll be honest with you I probably skewed your poll as I'm not really a hard core gamer. I like Enemy Territory as well as Halo. But thats the extent of my gaming. I have had some guys recomend I try World of Warfare or Eve (I think it was) I like the PC based games to cheap to buy a console and also to cheep to pay a monthly fee. ET is free and Halo well you pay the initial cost for the game.

6. diogenes

diogenes New Member

I'm going to have to go with 3-D. Final Fantasy VII and X both had 3-D elements and were very good, God of War is exquisite, Halo is very good, as well as the Grand Theft Auto's from III up. You can't tell me GTA II was more fun than GTA III.

7. DrBungle

DrBungle New Member

haha, there's a bold stance.

8. diogenes

diogenes New Member

"To boldly go where no man has gone before."

9. GAS

GAS New Member

Enemy territory is the shit!! I still play that game after 3 years.

World of Warcraft is sweet but it will own you. It did me.

10. Lomotil

Lomotil Active Member

Being a non-hardcore-gamer, you (in essence) balance the poll. If you purchase, download, play, or anyhow otherwise find yourself playing a video game - your opinion counts.

To simplify matters, I'm only concerned with what makes the 'current' gamer tick. Personally, I know what kind of games I like. I've been playing games for years, and I know what does it for me... The wild card here is all the 'gamers' new to the scene that have been spoon-fed 3-d instead of 2-d, and my inquiries serve to give me an idea of how many people that have been spoon-fed Spyro the Dragon take to games like the classic Castlevanias...

11. diogenes

diogenes New Member

The 2-D stuff still sells, just not on consoles anymore. It's all handheld now.

12. Dwaine Scum

Dwaine Scum New Member

What about "Hellgate London" which is a 3D FPS RPG?

I am really looking forward to playing that, I am not, however , looking forward to having to buy two new SLI video cards to play it

13. Lomotil

Lomotil Active Member

I've noticed that trend... It's convienent, but damn - when a game like Ikaruga for the DC came out, I was blown away. As I see it, it's only a matter of time before the handheld game systems get overrun by 3D games - and then what?

I have to give Nintendo props here - they've been coming out with some kickass 2-D games lately that have just enough 'old-school' mixed in with the newer technology to make me damn near blow a load playing 'em.

(This hasn't happened since I bought my Tetris PCB for my JAMMA cabinet, mind you)

Don't get me wrong, I love the immersive feeling you get when playing through a game like 'Manhunt' (if anyone here hasn't played it - GO OUT AND FUCKING BUY IT) - but I hate to see the creative minds behind some of the greatest 2-D games sent off to make 3-D games. I just don't want to see the genre die, that's all.

But above all, I'm interested in the average consumer's opinion - so if you haven't voted yet, please VOTE!

14. diogenes

diogenes New Member

Advance Wars was pretty well done.

I don't 2-D will die for quite some time. You should check out some of the flash games that are floating around out there, some of them are pretty good.

Check out this site for a few examples.

15. DrBungle

DrBungle New Member

Advance wars if fuuuuun. And cheesy as hell to boot!

16. MAJ Havoc

MAJ Havoc Active Member

"N" is the shit. http://www.harveycartel.org/metanet/

If I only had one game (deserted island type of thing) it would be this. It is a 2D action game. 500 levels in the game plus you can design your own. I love GTA3 and Ghost Recon but this is a great game. "Pitfall" was more fun than many of the FPSs out today. Some of these mind-numbing blast-fests bear no semblance of imagination or originality.

2D, or not 2D? That is the question.

17. Nicodemus

Nicodemus New Member

I like 2D stuff for the nostalgia of it, but I haven't played any in quite awhile, except for a ramdom flash game here or there.

In general, I prefer 3D RPGs to all other games. Some of my past faves are Diablo2, Baldur's Gate 2, and Neverwinter Nights. Lately, I have been playing Guild Wars and Oblivion (PC version).

I've never been able to truly partake in all the mayhem and carnage that is the FPS genre. For some reason, I get motion sickness whenever I try to play them (console or PC). :shock: It can even happen while I'm watching someone else play. Unfortunately, this rules out a lot of games right from the start, as does my husband's aversion to anything sports related.

Since most of the good RPGs seem to be either exclusively PC, or system specific (specifically not for Xbox), I don't do much console gaming. But when I do, I usually go for racing like the Need for Speed and Burnout titles or puzzle games like Still Life (and yes, Tetris!).

18. Joeslogic

Joeslogic Active Member

I get that to sometimes. Try uping the refresh rate in the controll panel settings and play in a dark room that seems to help a little for me.

Spoon fed it the reason I play 3D. I end up getting into games my buddies at work talk me into trying for the fun of it. And I do not have a console I play on the pc.

Thinking about getting an X-Box 360 though at the same time I get the big screen in the "entertainment room that isn't yet"