Pars defect

Discussion in 'Medical Advice' started by moremetal4mepls, Dec 7, 2008.

1. moremetal4mepls

moremetal4mepls New Member

I had to go to the ER over the weekend due to cushioning a 300+ lbs. mans fall twice, both falls catching my lower back, first one on the corner of my dresser, second one was on an air conditioner. They took x-rays, said I had a sprained back, gave me Flexeril and ultram and sent me on my way.
    Got a call earlier from the ER doctor stating they missed that I have a Pars Defect and I need a MRI asap.
    Anyone ever had this problem? I've read up on it a little and learned of three options. Physical therapy, drugs or surgery. Surgery is out as far as I'm concerned seeing as the last 2 surgerys I have had ended up in near death and a really bad infection that put me back in the hospital for 2 more weeks.
    Any info would be greatly appreciated.

2. Nauseous

Nauseous Active Member

Are you talking about spondylolysis?

I wouldn't do surgery either. My sister has had two back surgeries and she's still messed up. She also had steroid injections in her back that messed her up systemically. I think it's what gave her Cushings. Now she takes drugs. I don't think drugs are good. They don't correct the underlying problem, so I would get the MRI and then look into physical therapy.

3. Nauseous

Nauseous Active Member

You've had a shitty week. :frown:

4. moremetal4mepls

Yes thats what im talking about, I have had a few people who have had back surgery telling me it has helped the problem they had but has led to other problems.
    Im calling my Dr to schedule the MRI tomorrow and go from there. I'm not to keen on taking med's myself. I have a few patients I dialyize due to use of drugs, both prescribed and street drugs. Thats the last thing I need.
    And your right, it has been one hell of a shitty week.........

5. Nauseous

Nauseous Active Member

Did you have the MRI yet?

6. BIGMAMA

BIGMAMA New Member

I am not a fan of back surgery- even surgeons say ... once you have on- you need another and another.

7. moremetal4mepls

Going to have it done Dec 11th. They gave me Ultram for pain, but all they seem to do is wire me up, which would of been cool in my day when I did shit to wire me up and enjoyed it, now days I enjoy my sleep too much..
    So till I can figure out what to do, its heating pads and a Flexeril here and there, and massive amounts of guilt trips on the dude who fell on me, so im getting these wonderful massages too....

8. moremetal4mepls

Thats what I hear too, but I'am terrified of having any surgery no matter what kind it is. When I had my hysterectomy, the doctor cut a vein in my stomach and I laid there bleeding enternally for almost 14 hours. Over the period of the 14 hours my BP kept getting lower and lower along with other symptoms, which to me would be a sign that something was wrong, but I was so out of it I didnt realize what was going on. But they waited until I crashed to say "oh my god somethings wrong, back to the O.R."!
    Even though I work in the medical field, I trust doctors about as far as I can throw them.

9. moremetal4mepls

My dr's office calls me yearstday and tells me I have two damaged discs in my back and is going to refer me to a neurosurgeon. :mad: Fucking shit....This I did not want to hear. I went ahead and made an appointment to see what other options I have.

10. Nauseous

Nauseous Active Member

Damn. I'm sorry to hear that! Hopefully it won't come to surgery. Are you in a ton of pain?

11. moremetal4mepls

Not a lot of pain thanks to Lortab. But I'am running low, and dont have an appotinment with the Doctor till after christmas. Maybe santa will leave some in my stocking.

12. Nauseous

Nauseous Active Member

I guess if it were bad enough, you could always go to one of those urgent care places.

I'd give you some of mine. I only use them to constipate myself.

13. BIGMAMA

BIGMAMA New Member

If you go to the ER.. they will give about 13 pills. My mom does that all the time when she is running low (but the 13 only lasts her 2 days)

Didnt they give you Tramadol (ultram) ... I laughed when a doc gave me those... thats what we give dogs after spay/neuter... It is the cheapest drug ever.

We get a bottle for 100 for 9$ and another company sells bottles of 500 for like 48$ if I remember correctly... kinda funny... my insurance co pay would be 20$ to the script filled for 60.

14. moremetal4mepls

Iwill take them if you are willing to give:biggrin:

yeah they gave me Ultram the first visit, but have better luck taking Aleve. I went back to the ER about a week after my MRI due to a fall at work that messed my back up even more, the DR. took pitty on me and gave me 15 Lortab 7.5. I was shocked, they usually only give 10 to 13 Tylenol 3's.

15. Nauseous

Nauseous Active Member

Advil will tear up your intestines if you keep taking it.

I always get pain meds shoved at me. Probably because I don't like them.

The last stuff I had was a mixture of Demerol and Zofran (anti-nausea) and I couldn't open my eyes because the room was spinning and I broke out in hives everywhere. So I was allergic to one and I'm pretty sure it was the Zofran because I have had Demerol before and never had that reaction.

Morphine made my chest seize up and hydrocodone make me want to puke. Oxycodone makes me less nauseated.

Codeine and Phenergan aren't bad. The phenergan takes away the nausea.

Ultram is okay, kinda similar to hydrocodone.

Toradol didn't help much, but it didn't make me ill.

I think that's it as far as pain meds I've taken go.

16. Nauseous

Nauseous Active Member

So I think the winner would be oxycodone (percocet) and I would take it with 12.5 mg of phenergan.

17. Nauseous

Nauseous Active Member

And never mix hydrocodone and klonopin. I did that accidentally and it messed me up in a bad way. I felt like hell and still had a migraine.

I really hate pain meds.

18. moremetal4mepls

I'am allergic to Demerol too. If I have to take pain meds I prefer Lortab or Percocet. But I usually break them in half, I'm a light weight.
    I was given Morphine once and slept for 2 days. Shit knocked me on my arse.

Im wondering if Acupuncture would help. I have a friend who had it done for severe migranes and she hasnt had a migrane in a long time now.

Any of you ever had Acupuncture done? And if so did it help?

19. Nauseous

Nauseous Active Member

I have been tossing the idea around. I haven't done it but I am interested. I have also thought about getting therapeutic massages, although they would probably have to call the police on me because I wouldn't want to leave. My neck and back always hurt and I would love to get some relief. I have this big ass massager, but it hurts my wrist to hold it to use it. The son of a bitch is really heavy.