New Orleans, The Good, The Bad and The Fugly

Discussion in 'General Mayhem' started by Tojo Burbage, Sep 22, 2002.

1. Tojo Burbage

Tojo Burbage New Member

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="verdana">quote
    Well that would be Liverpool FC!

May well take you up on that dude...

I also have qualifications in graphic design so I may well pursue that mode of employment. Typical really, jack of all trades, master of none. But good feedback nonetheless, cheers!

2. FagARoni

FagARoni New Member

NOLA like anyplace else has it's plusses and minuses.
    1st, June thru September are the HELL months. Humid and hotter than a spa. Some people of weaker constitutions have a difficult time with this, and never really get acclimated to it, and retreat into their airconditioned
    homes.But October thru June are great, if you don't miss winter and seasonal changes. No autumn leaves.
    Crime: somebody's a little misinformed. Most American cities with a black majority can be 'iffy' in many neighborhoods.But NOLA's crime rate is less than Atlanta, or Houston. Best places for a newbie to look to rent would be uptown around Audubon Park, or Midcity near City Park. You would not want to live in the French Quarter. Too noisy and touristy.
    If you're the cautious type,my translator here and i would really advise checking out Old Metairie for a rental first, live here a couple of months till you get a real idea of where you'd like best to live. Otherwise,there are NICE apartments on St. Charles Avenue, and a block or 2 off it. Magazine Street is the more hopping 'boho' district.
    So, if you can take the climate, next prepare yourself to live in the closest thing to a Carribbean island (without sea breezes) without being
    there. The culture here is an incredible 'gumbo' of people of many races and mixtures, living harmoniously for the most part. Most people who don't live here do not know that the main cultures are African American and Sicilian. More Italians came to Louisiana in the late 19th century
    than to Ellis island in New York. The cuisine shows more italian influence than french-we call it italian Creole.
    If you like jazz, rythm & blues and all sorts of great music, this is roots country--better than New York or LA, that we can promise. The Louisiana Philharmonic is small but EXCELLENT. Festivals frequently in spring and autumn are numerous & lots of fun. If you're into ART, New Orleans is numinous, an UR-source that people come here to steal ideas.
    Sports: Major league Football, Basketball and Hockey.
    The economy is picking up. NOLA finally got smart and elected a visionary, vigorous reform minded Mayor who's the next best thing to a local messiah. There are jobs aplenty in the medical field-that's all I know much about. Start checking out the New Orleans Times -Picayune
    newspaper CLASSIFIED ADS online, and see what you think.
    Oh yeah, a real good apt. complex to start with might be what's called "The American Can Factory" really good security, and a decent location tto get to everyplace you'd wanna go.

3. FagARoni

FagARoni New Member

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="verdana">quote:</font><HR>That pretty much sums it up. Fun to party, drink, sigh-see, but its dirty and nigga crime ridden. Don't accept any "prizes" the people on the street make for you. Like balloon animals, etc. They expect tons of money for them.
    If you can find a good job then that's cool, you can live outside the city. It has very little technology and intelligence in general. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

KNIGHTSHARK YOU ARE AN IGNORANT OAF. Clearly you have no class or culture, so you were confined to the French Quarter'corral' for tourists who are not fit to mix with we who live here. God you don't know shit about New Orleans.

4. Tojo Burbage

Tojo Burbage New Member

Fagaroni that was excellent feedback, thank you very much All good food for thought...

5. Lomotil

Lomotil Active Member

Tell them how most of the graveyards are above-ground, since the whole place is a swamp and all...

6. Tojo Burbage

Tojo Burbage New Member

Am well used to 'coffin dodging' anyway, where I currently live is a hotbed of stinky cabbage and lavendar smelling old people...

So as far as avoiding being hit by a floating coffin I should be up to speed!

7. Tojo Burbage

Tojo Burbage New Member

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="verdana">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by ratilla the hun:
    i've heard NOLA is fun to visit, but dirty and crime ridden. i'm going there at the end of OCt. i can give you a better report at that time.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Rat when you going or have you been? Lemme know would ya...cheers guuuurl!

8. ratatouille

ratatouille New Member

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="verdana">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Dubya Dubya 2:
    Rat when you going or have you been? Lemme know would ya...cheers guuuurl!<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
    oops! change of plans. i was supposed to go with an old flame for my birthday but i've decided against it since i am with Frenchy now. i'll be going to Key West the end of November instead and can give you a full report on that. sorry.

9. Tojo Burbage

Tojo Burbage New Member

Key West? yeah go on...why not!