New Orleans, The Good, The Bad and The Fugly

Discussion in 'General Mayhem' started by Tojo Burbage, Sep 22, 2002.

1. Tojo Burbage

Tojo Burbage New Member

My girlfriend may be taking a job offer up in New Orleans in the near future, and she's asked me if I want to go with her.

So instead of going throught the usual channels of information gathering (which I will eventually) I thought I get the feedback 'straight from the horses mouth' so to speak.

Give it to me straight, should I/We do it or not? What's the pros'and cons' etc. Serious prospect here people, so 'decent' (holds his breath) feedback would be appreciated... cheers

2. pimpchichi

pimpchichi Active Member

can you get work out there?...

i'd say go for it man, cos if you don't you'll only be wondering "what if?"

3. ratatouille

ratatouille New Member

i've heard NOLA is fun to visit, but dirty and crime ridden. i'm going there at the end of OCt. i can give you a better report at that time.

4. Tojo Burbage

Tojo Burbage New Member

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="verdana">quote
    I'd have thought so I'm a qualified mechanical engineer...

Nice one Rat

5. Homewrecker

Homewrecker New Member

I think it quite possible that a man, named "Dubya" wake up one moring and find himself bleeding out on the filthy, lice infested, urine soaked streets of Nawlins...

6. Tojo Burbage

Tojo Burbage New Member

Well I can add Nawlins to my list of other places where that's already happened, Prague, Amsterdam, Oslo, Paris, Munich, Tangiers... I could continue, never fucked myself up Stateside tho!

Besides if you knew me you'd realise violence is something I can deal with quite sufficiently, but thanks for the tip!

Lice infested? Really?

7. Ulfur Engil

Ulfur Engil New Member

I've been to New Orleans a couple of times; it's a damned fun city, as long as you can endure the more or less constant humidity.
    As long as the immigration paperwork pans out, I would say come on over...you and your girlfriend will love it there. Plus, you can freely carry your beverage on the streets, as long as it is in plastic or paper, as opposed to glass.

8. Tojo Burbage

Tojo Burbage New Member

The swingometer heads towards the 'GO' mark... You anywhere near there Ulf? I had heard the humidity is something you have to deal with...

9. Tojo Burbage

Tojo Burbage New Member

I've never been busted, never spent any time on the social security, I am fit, ex-military and I am a skilled worker. Haven't got a pot to piss in but am sure I can find work before I arrive full time.

My girl's a nurse, so she's got to take her US Nursing exam before anything else happens, but I think it's looking good so far...

10. Ulfur Engil

Ulfur Engil New Member

I'm quite a bit up north, in the Philly area. I used to go to college about five hours away from NO, though. I plan to make a couple of more trips down there sometime before I die...I had a lot of fun in the past.

The humidity is kind of nasty, but it isn't unbearable. Between the number of bars/clubs and your household to be, you will be in enough air conditioning that it won't phase you too much.

The cuisine is really good, too. You will learn how to eat crayfish while you are down there (or as they say, crawfish, crawdaddys, etc.).

11. Tojo Burbage

Tojo Burbage New Member

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="verdana">quote:</font><HR>
    The cuisine is really good, too. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I have to admit that eating well is high on my list of 'things to always do'

What are the houses like there? More along the lines of renting I think rather than buying, and where's best to live and best to avoid?

Picking your brain now...

12. pimpchichi

pimpchichi Active Member

fagaroni haunts NOLA btw

13. Tojo Burbage

Tojo Burbage New Member

Doh!

14. KnightShark

KnightShark New Member

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="verdana">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by ratilla the hun:
    i've heard NOLA is fun to visit, but dirty and crime ridden. i'm going there at the end of OCt. i can give you a better report at that time.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
    That pretty much sums it up. Fun to party, drink, sigh-see, but its dirty and nigga crime ridden. Don't accept any "prizes" the people on the street make for you. Like balloon animals, etc. They expect tons of money for them.

If you can find a good job then that's cool, you can live outside the city. It has very little technology and intelligence in general.

Its 70% black so beware.

15. KnightShark

KnightShark New Member

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="verdana">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by ratilla the hun:
    i've heard NOLA is fun to visit, but dirty and crime ridden. i'm going there at the end of OCt. i can give you a better report at that time.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
    That pretty much sums it up. Fun to party, drink, sigh-see, but its dirty and nigga crime ridden. Don't accept any "prizes" the people on the street make for you. Like balloon animals, etc. They expect tons of money for them.

If you can find a good job then that's cool, you can live outside the city. It has very little technology and intelligence in general.

Its 70% black so beware.

16. KnightShark

KnightShark New Member

Its 70% black so beware.

17. Lomotil

Lomotil Active Member

Good to see you back, man...

18. Nursey

Nursey Super Moderator

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="verdana">quote:</font><HR>Psychotically posted by Lomo's Haus of Salvage:

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Erm...Lomo!!!Uhhhh...uhhh...good to see you back,man!

19. Lomotil

Lomotil Active Member

Great to be back!

Lah-ve what you've done with the place... Amazing how a few flowers and queers spruce up a place...

20. Ministersf

Ministersf New Member

I've been that way a few times too. I have to agree with UE, it's a great place to visit but it's humid as hell. I'm not sure about being able to get work, though. Speaking as a Mechanical Engineer myself, I have to say that times are tight as hell and New Orleans has been in an economic hell-hole for as long as anyone can remember. Give it a try, though. If worse comes to worse, you can always move again.

New Orleans is a crime ridden shitbag of a city, though. Especially in the French Quarter which is where all the fun stuff is. Take care. American crime is savage and terrifying. Learn what colors you can wear in the city. I'm from Detroit and I thought New Orleans was bad!

That said, COME OVER AND PLAY! I know I owe you at least one beer! Welcome to the states!