New Converter Box

Discussion in 'Technology' started by MAJ Havoc, May 27, 2008.

1. MAJ Havoc

MAJ Havoc Active Member

I applied for and received my Gov't coupons for $40 off the new converters and went ahead and secured a couple before they start selling out. I got the Insignia box at Best Buy for $60 ($20 of my cash + coupon.)

Nice interface and easy setup. Takes coaxial or RCA cables and allows your standard TV to access the "-1" channels (HD folks, you know what I mean) which gives you the extras (menus, weather coverage, etc) that go with them.

You only need them for TVs that are strictly getting a signal from "rabbit ears." You have to have them by mid-FEB 2009 but you can get them now.

For further info: https://www.dtv2009.gov/

2. Dwaine Scum

Dwaine Scum New Member

just buy a new TV you fucking JEW!

3. phatboy

phatboy New Member

I have to get these for my camper, cause it does have cable, but only if the park you are at has it, most reception is straight airwaves. I dont think either of my camper tvs are digital ready.

4. MAJ Havoc

MAJ Havoc Active Member

I have two HDTVs but the SDTVs in my kitchen and master bathroom are on antennae.

5. nolo451

nolo451 New Member

I applied for three of those just for the heck of it and i got them like a month ago. I guess I shouldn't have mailed out for them....now im stuck with three of those cards.

6. MAJ Havoc

MAJ Havoc Active Member

They have a 90 day expiration date. If you plan to use them, don't wait until FEB.

7. nolo451

nolo451 New Member

Thats the thing, we dont really have any need for them. My dad just bought a plasma at his place, so did both of my brothers, and I just bought one as well. I just applied for them for the heck of it. Dumb, I know.

8. Lomotil

Lomotil Active Member

I don't subscribe to cable, never have, probably never will.

Granted, in my years of working at a thrift store, I've amassed a collection of probably 15-20 televisions. The most recent one was a brand-new Magnavox 15" LCD HDTV, with built-in HD tuner, so if the need arises for me to view broadcasts, I'm set. I'm not really worried about the switch-over, as most of my sets (including the HD widescreen in the living room is only hooked up to games and DVD), but I might just pick up a converter just for the fuck of it.

So, when watching 'over the air' broadcasts, do you notice a better picture quality on the same television with an digital converter? I'm eventually going to migrate a 32" Toshiba to my bedroom (or the study), and I'm wondering if it's worth it to spend that extra little bit to get local stations...

A church recently donated a two CRT televisions, a 36" Sony WEGA, and a 40" Mitsubishi... I'm debating, but fuck, those things take up too damn much room (not to mentio nbeing 250lbs+ each), and I can't lift shit right now thanks to my pelvis/testicular fuckup.

9. Dwaine Scum

Dwaine Scum New Member

dude, you're gonna be on doctor phil as a fucking pack rat. Remember, just because you can buy it, doesn't mean you have too. Cable isn't that bad either. I have a 10 Mbps connection for $45.95 a month. I dont understand people having rabbit wear TV anymore. I have 5 TV's here (and one in the glass studio) and it cost me $40 (and a $30 MSRP glass spoon) to get the cable guy to run cable to all the televisions. (4 were free, then it was 80 yards out to the 27 inch in the glass studio, the cable fucks wanted to charge $5 per yard, to bury the cable and all. All cable installers are stoners, so it cost me $40 for the hardware, then 3 bucks worth of glass)

So come on assholes, its 2008, not 1988

10. Nauseous

Nauseous Active Member

I just split cable (except for the internet connection) and run it under the crawlspace. You only have to pay for the coaxial cable and the splitters. The only room that doesn't have cable hook-up is the bathroom and I think I may have to change that. I want to run cable in there and put up a little 13 inch LCD. I spent a lot of time in the bathroom.