My choice of poison tonight...

Discussion in 'General Mayhem' started by Ulfur Engil, Jul 13, 2002.

1. Ulfur Engil

Ulfur Engil New Member

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="verdana">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Dubya's Shit Pit:
    The 'Sebor' brand of Absinth is actually considered the weakest of all the versions on the market, and incidentally it is not available ANYWHERE apart from a little bar in Prague I know, with it's original Wormwood quantity and strength that allowed Van Gogh to cut off his ear and lose it completely and all the other psychotic related episodes that you may have read about...

All the 'modern' stuff does now is get you pissed so don't get too tough now will you? Treat me nice and I can give you a contact number to obtain the REAL stuff.

Then again I just might tell you to ram it. Fucking lightweights.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

That's basically all that the original stuff did, too. One friend of mine was good enough to obtain a bottle made in Switzerland, I think...(non-marketed, of course), and I will concur that it was a lot better (and the concentration of wormwood a hell of a lot higher) than the Sebor brand...but with that said, the alcohol was probably a bit more influential than the wormwood itself(like the old traditional types, this one was at least 120 proof, if not more).

A few scientists looked at several different absinthes a while ago, and determined that the amount of thujone (the potent chemical in wormwood that makes you happy/crazy/stupid) was too little to experience it without the effects of severe drunkeness interfering (if I recall, they also went by the original Pernod Fils recipe as well). To have a genuine thujone "trip,"
    The amount of absinthe (in its true-to-form fermented wormwood amounts) you have to drink will probably kill you from alcohol poisoning.

Ultimately, the foremost effect you will have is drunkeness, and any effects from the thujone (which are there, just not as prominent as you might think) will be riding on your compromised state of sloppy-shit-facedness. But then again, that's part of what I like about it.

(But with this all said, though, you got me curious, Dubya...I'll PM you.)

Oh, by the way, if you see this in your local booze shop, never, EVER buy this shit. This stuff is total fucking mule-piss. (The only worthwhile thing was the glass that came with it).

2. Tojo Burbage

Tojo Burbage New Member

In the meantime...

Ulfur, I bought some of this stuff from them a while ago and it was pretty good, better than the stuff you buy via the web anyway.

Bit of pissing about but worth it...

3. Ulfur Engil

Ulfur Engil New Member

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="verdana">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Dubya's Shit Pit:
    In the meantime...

Ulfur, I bought some of this stuff from them a while ago and it was pretty good, better than the stuff you buy via the web anyway.

Bit of pissing about but worth it...
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

You know that is the one wierd thing about the U.S. policy on Absinthe; they won't allow the liquor to be retailed (they don't care if you have it; just don't retail it...), but around here, the major health-food store chains actually sell wormwood in bulk. Now that's fucking stupid.