my car is crying???

Discussion in 'Cars' started by BIGMAMA, Nov 11, 2008.

1. BIGMAMA

BIGMAMA New Member

When I back up... I took him the break place Saturday, they said the breaks are great (just did them like 3 months ago)
    I called Honda... cant see me till Wed. He is running fine... just the noise when I back up. Loud high squeal ... like a whale

My question is, should I drive it today & tomorrow? Because the noise is so loud, I have been parking in places that I dont have to back up. It started about 8-10 days ago, and I figured it was some kind of backing up breaks.

anyone know what it is???? sounds expensive ... but he is still under a bumper to bumper warranty.

yes I said "he" ... many men name their cars female names... and call it "she". I call this one a he...I imagine this car as a gay man.
    Im pretty sure I want a new or 08 Avalanche ... and I will call it a "she" since it will be my dyke truck... there was a nice used 08 for a great price -11k milles ... purple and tinted and had fancy tires (why I liked it) but my sister said it looked ghetto and I would would be pulled over a lot ... since only black people like purple WTF?? so I backed out.

2. Joeslogic

Joeslogic Active Member

Next time get the quiet ceramic brake pads not the semi metallic type.

3. phatboy

phatboy New Member

Tell your husband to lay down in the driveway and back over him. Then ask him if he heard that crying sound or was it just him.

Is it coming from the back of the vehicle? Did you maybe run over something and it is dragging behind you and when you back up it flips and then make all that racket?

4. Joeslogic

Joeslogic Active Member

5. BIGMAMA

BIGMAMA New Member

thats what I thought as well... but the break guys said my breaks were fine... I guess I will know Wed.

My dad said something about reverse gears transmission (or something like that) ... then did some bitchin about damn foreign cars... Then had to remind me of EVERY car repair he EVER did for me (all 3) .... but of course got me and my sister mixed up.. then we argued with me screaming "I NEVER OWNED A ______ or a _______ . Had to prove the point and call my sister on 3way-

I swear he has Alzheimer's ... my whole damn family is fucked up and can get in a screaming fight over ANYTHING

6. Nauseous

Nauseous Active Member

Does it do it when you back up straight or when you back up and turn the wheel?

Maybe you need to flush and replace the Dual Pump Fluid for your rear differential?

7. Nauseous

Nauseous Active Member

I am grasping at straws...

8. Joeslogic

Joeslogic Active Member

*sigh*

THE CERAMIC AGE
    Back in the 1980s most automakers were using semi-metallic pads on their front-wheel drive cars. Semi-metallic friction materials containing chopped steel fibers were, and still are, a popular choice for high-temperature, hard-use braking applications. But, because of their high steel content, semi-metallic compounds tend to be harsh, noisy and hard on rotors. Brake suppliers also developed a variety of nonasbestos organic (NAO) compounds, but NAOs are better suited for low-temperature applications and drum brakes. Something else was needed as an alternative to semi-mets.

Enter Akebono, an OEM brake supplier to most of the Japanese automakers. Akebono pioneered the development of ceramic-based friction materials back in 1985, and began to market their ceramic linings to a growing list of vehicle manufacturers in Asia and North America. Today, Akebono supplies most of the Japanese transplant manufacturers in the U.S as well as Ford (Taurus up to model year 2002, and the new Ford Explorer), GM trucks and Saturn. Akebono also has an aftermarket product line that is marketed under the ProACT banner (ACT stands for Akebono Ceramic Technology).
    replacing ceramic brake pads

According to Bill Hilbrandt, vice president of research and development at Akebono, ceramic materials are a good choice for brake linings because they have stable and predictable friction characteristics, more so than most semi-metallic materials. Ceramics provide a consistent pedal feel that is the same whether the pads are hot or cold because the coefficient of friction does not drop off as quickly as semi-metallics. NVH (noise, vibration & harshness) is also less with ceramics, so the brakes are significantly quieter.

Ceramic compounds can be very complex and may use 18 to 20 different ingredients in a formula, including various fillers and lubricants that are added to help dampen vibrations and noise. A typical semi-metallic compound, by comparison, might contain only eight or nine ingredients.

Though semi-metallic linings generally provide better wear at higher temperatures, ceramics do just as well, if not better, at lower temperatures for the average driver. Consequently, pad life is often improved.

Low dust is another desirable characteristic of the material. The color of the material is a light gray so it is less visible on wheels (unlike some NAO pad materials that produce a dark brown or black dust that clings to wheels).

One very important point that Hilbrandt stressed is that all ceramics are not the same. Every brake manufacturer uses their own ceramic-based or ceramic-enhanced compounds. The type of ceramics used, the particle size, distribution, hardness and other ingredients that go into a ceramic type of friction material can all vary, even from one vehicle application to another. So ceramics should not be stereotyped or viewed as some type of generic product. Akebono Euro Ceramic Brake Pads, for example, are formulated specifically for European cars.

There is also disagreement over what should and should not be called a ceramic. Ceramic materials include a variety of substances including potassium titanate fibers as well as clay fillers. Many brake manufacturers use clay filler in certain friction linings, but do not call their product a ceramic lining. Others do. Consequently, the type of ceramic compounds used in a brake supplier's ceramic product line may vary significantly from those used by another brake supplier, along with the performance characteristics of their linings.

The actual amount of ceramic that is used in a friction material can also vary a great deal from one brake supplier to another. None of the manufacturers we interviewed for this article would revel the exact ceramic content of their linings. But several did made it very clear that the ceramic content can vary from a few percent to a significant percentage. What is really important is how the ceramic that is used affects brake performance.

Many products today are marketed under the ceramic banner because it is a hot buzzword. So, it is not surprising that most brake suppliers are now offering some type of ceramic material in their product lines.

AFTERMARKET CERAMIC BRAKE PADS
    The main reason why the aftermarket got into ceramic friction materials is because the OEMs were using it. In the 1990s, a growing number of OEMs were using ceramic-based pads. Sooner or later the aftermarket had to follow suit and offer their own ceramic-based friction materials. In 1999, Raybestos announced the availability of their own "revolutionary" new brake friction formulation made from ceramic ingredients. The new product, which took three years to develop, was called "Quiet Stop."

Jerry Forystek of Raybestos said ceramics is still a big story, but that many people do not really understand the differences in ceramic compounds. "The real issue today is composition. How much ceramic is really in a pad and what does it actually do? The bottom line is how the pads perform on the vehicle. Our pads perform very well.

"The main advantages our product offer are reduced noise and dust, excellent wear characteristics and good fade resistance. Before we went to ceramics, we could never get the same kind of low noise levels, low dust and longer wear with other materials."

Forystek said ceramics are more expensive to manufacture and cost more, but the same is true of most other premium friction materials. You get what you pay for.

He also said that ceramics perform well in a wide variety of applications, but for some applications other materials work just as well or better. It depends on the vehicle platform and the type of driving. "That is why we use a best fit philosophy when choosing a particular friction compound for a given vehicle application."
    ceramic brake linings

CERAMIC-ENHANCED
    Last year, ProMaster of Somerdale, NJ, introduced its new line of ceramic-enhanced "Certanium" disc brake pads. Marketed as an ultra-premium product, the new friction material combines the heat-dissipating properties of titanium with the strength of ceramic. The result is a product that provides high braking torque, fade-free operation, moderate and consistent pedal pressure, excellent heat recovery, elimination of brake squeal, reduced dusting, long life and is rotor-friendly. In short, it is a better product that performs better and lasts longer.

The only major brake supplier who is not pushing a "ceramic" branded product these days is Wagner. But according to Peter Murnen, manager of friction products, Wagner has been using various ceramic compounds for several years in some "ThermoQuiet" pads. The ThermoQuiet line also includes semi-metallic and nonasbestos nonmetallic (NANM) materials, too. It all depends on the application.
    ceramic brake pads "Before we choose a friction material for a particular application, we first look at what the OEM used on that vehicle. Then we pick a material that closely mirrors their formulation. If the OEM material is a ceramic, we will use a ceramic."

Murnen said Wagner's philosophy is to use friction materials that closely match OEM materials and provide great performance. He also said a more important buzzword today is NVH (Noise, Vibration & Harshness), especially as an OEM brake supplier. There is a huge amount of emphasis put into tweaking friction formulas to minimize NVH, and this carries over into their aftermarket product lines, too.

9. BIGMAMA

BIGMAMA New Member

whenever in reverse ... no matter what I do... with or without the brake applied. Its tarded ... I will know tomorrow . I hope it is the breaks... but if it is something else... and covered under warranty - thats fine. They give loaner cars.... So I will be doing some major Dukes of Hazzard driving

10. Joeslogic

Joeslogic Active Member

11. Joeslogic

Joeslogic Active Member

12. BIGMAMA

BIGMAMA New Member

OK Joe... do a happy dance ... it was the breaks. I thought so at first ... but then when a guy at the break place said it was not... I was convinced.

Funny, Honda offered to do the breaks for 350$ ...just pads and turn rotters... WTF I said no, drove down the street... got them done for 75$ ...also had a big screw in my new tire... had that plugged $5

woohoo..he is fixed... he is not crying anymore. I dont have to park far away in a parking lot to avoid backing up... and I dont have to park all tarded at home anymore... I have been doing a big circle.

Today I will go by the break place and tell that he is a tard.

13. phatboy

phatboy New Member

Break = not fixed
    Brakes = Stop your car

Carry on.

:p

14. Nauseous

Nauseous Active Member

Mechanics are weird. I had this thumping sound in my trunk for years and years and I kept taking it to the dealer and they couldn't figure it out. I had the strut plates, strut mounts, strut towers replaced. Still same noise. They said it wasn't the struts. I took it to a ma and pa shop and they told me that it was the stuts, replaced them and the noise was gone. I spent hundreds of dollars on basically shit I didn't need, so now I stay away from the dealers.

15. Joeslogic

Joeslogic Active Member

Funny thing about dealers when its on their tab (warranty) they seem to be more efficient.

Mom and Pop shops are good if they are established with a good reputation. Otherwise its a gamble also.

Often times the most honest mechanic is not the one making the most money think about it.

16. phatboy

phatboy New Member

It's also a plus to have a couple of friends that own shops, that way you arent going to someone you dont know. I do some PC work for a friend that has a shop, so I just take all my work to him. We both pay cost for stuff, and then the labor is a wash.

17. Lomotil

Lomotil Active Member

That's amazing... How did you keep the guy alive so long?!? :eek:

18. Nauseous

Nauseous Active Member

Birdseed and rainwater.

Actually had a guy from Midas ride around in my trunk to try to figure out the sound. That's dedication, huh?

19. phatboy

phatboy New Member

I think he was trying to weasel his way into your other 'trunk'.

:)

20. Lomotil

Lomotil Active Member

That's a pretty risky maneuver, if you 'axe' me...

You were wearing your turtleneck sweater midriff that day, weren't you? :p