Misheard lyrics

Discussion in 'Music' started by Nauseous, Sep 13, 2007.

1. Nauseous

Nauseous Active Member

When I was a kid and I watched "The Jefferson's", I used to sing some of the lyrics wrong and I didn't realize it until watching it a while back and hearing the theme song what I was singing wrong.

The correct lyrics:

As long as we live, it's you and me baby. There ain't nothin' wrong with that.

I sang:

Long sweet lips, doing me baby. There ain't nothin' wrong with that.

Anyone else get lyrics wrong? I do it a lot, but that was my personal best.

2. Nauseous

Nauseous Active Member

One I read online that I thought was hilarious was for the song "Chevy Van" by Sammy Johns.

Misheard Lyrics:
    Like a prisoner she was layin' there

Original Lyrics:
    Like a picture she was layin' there

Dunno why, but that shit cracked me up!

3. MAJ Havoc

MAJ Havoc Active Member

I like your version better.

4. Lomotil

Lomotil Active Member

If it's any consolation, whenever I heard that damn "Smooth Operator" song while I was growing up in the 80's, I always thought the bitch was saying "Who's Operator?" - and it always pissed me off that she never found her fucking operator...

5. Nauseous

Nauseous Active Member

I never knew why someone would want long sweet lips...

6. Nauseous

Nauseous Active Member

I think this shit is funny.

My friend used to think the Fleetwood Mac song was "one winged dove" instead of "white winged dove" :)

7. Joeslogic

Joeslogic Active Member

Bruce Springstein, Blinded by the light.

I was like ... Wrapped up like a duche?

Nooooo "Revved up like a Deuce"

8. Disorder

Disorder New Member

'Scuse me while I kiss this guy.

9. Nursey

Nursey Active Member

I used to sing "I nearly had my head off last night" instead of "I really lost my head last night" from 'Don't give up on us' by David Soul. I did find it a bit puzzling, but i was only 6.

10. DangerousD

DangerousD New Member

Thanks for clearing that up. That always kind of bothered me. I was thinking man I don't want to hear your song about used douches.

11. Nauseous

Nauseous Active Member

Manfred Mann's Earth Band is so much better than Bruce Springsteen. I didn't even know he wrote that song.

12. Nauseous

Nauseous Active Member

When "Smells like Teen Spirit" came out, I thought he was screaming, "bloody dagger" at the end instead of "a denial".

13. tommy710

tommy710 Active Member

Queen bohemian rhapsody
    Acual lyrics are......

Beelzebub has a devil put aside for me...

I heard.....
    the devil bought a sideboard,......i always wondered what the fuck the devil would want with a sideboard?
    Insanity arrives early in my family.

14. Nauseous

Nauseous Active Member

Shit, I didn't know the correct lyrics. Thought he said "the devil bore his side for me".

15. Surrogate-Failsafe

Surrogate-Failsafe New Member

Dude, I always mishear Bruce Springsteen lyrics if I don't bother to look them up, it's just the way he sings; but the point is that he gets his point across through his vocals.

16. DarkShadow-X

DarkShadow-X New Member

I always talk about those lyrics when referring to this topic. It's actually Manfred Mann, not Springsteen. Great song.

17. Nauseous

Nauseous Active Member

No, it's actually Springsteen. Manfred Mann is the version that we all recognize though. I thought he was wrong too until I looked it up. It's funny some of the songs we know as one band were actually written by another. Take "House of the Rising Sun"... how many people have done that song? No one really knows who did it originally. Most would say The Animals, but that's not who wrote actually the song.

18. Joeslogic

Joeslogic Active Member

Yeah Manfred Mann does it better. You know more than missing the words also you can get messed up figuring the cryptic message.

Like "Strawberry Fields" if you were not into the drug culture you would not understand what that was about.

Back to Blinded though. My take is that he is singing about a way of life. Basically the car crowd. Hanging out down at the fair ground on a weekend. “Go-Cart Mozart was checking out the weather chart to see if it was safe out side”. Racers pay attention to humidity, barometric pressure, it changes your car setup and how to want to run you're fuel rich mixture, tires, suspension.

Other stuff like that and then there is the other song Born to Run and obvious car culture song.

Growing up in Texas “The Boss” was not necessarily “The Bomb” but it gave me something in common with all the Michigan transplants down there in Houston I grew up with. I was a Springsteen fan and so were they.

19. Nauseous

Nauseous Active Member

I can't stand Springsteen.

20. Lomotil

Lomotil Active Member

Damn, when they play that song on the Muzak, I always think he's saying that, too!

Also, there's another one... Don't know the song, but I thought it said "Gonna put it in your booty" and it's really "Gonna put it in a want ad"...