Just bought a Mazda

Discussion in 'Cars' started by Lomotil, Jul 2, 2009.

1. Lomotil

Lomotil Active Member

...'01 Protege, 2.0 L, ES sporty package, etc...

I've driven it all around town tonight - I have to say, it's a sound car.

Not to mention, I have new run-flat Z-rated tires on it.

Again, pictures to follow - Zoom zoom for now.

2. Homewrecker

Homewrecker New Member

And where is it this morning?

3. Lomotil

Lomotil Active Member

That's pretty funny...

The way this thing hugs the corners, you'd think it was driving on rails. I'm surprised I didn't get a picture like the one you posted from that night - I've been driving the damn thing like I stole it ever since.

4. Nauseous

Nauseous Active Member

You should drive it up here and take me for a ride out in the fields.

5. phatboy

phatboy New Member

Which is West Virginian for 'lets make babies'.....

6. Lomotil

Lomotil Active Member

Damn, Phatty's got it straight... Got the next two weeks off, whaddyasay? Don't know about that babies part, though. I'll deny everything.

7. phatboy

phatboy New Member

Yo Lomo,

I just came across a 94 Protege for 800. It was a strippers car (sure the maintenance was never done on it) but it runs ok. The AC is not working, but I can fix that, it is a crappy Auto, but Im thinking Im just going to drive it to work.

200K + miles,

whadya think?

8. Lomotil

Lomotil Active Member

200K+ mi and still whirring away gives me a warm vibratey feeling in the cockles of my heart. By chance, do you know when the timing belt was changed on it? What engine does it have, btw?

Automatics are cool when you have to drive and aim at the same time, but other than those instances, I still prefer a standard. :)

9. Lomotil

Lomotil Active Member

Rather shitty thing happened to me on my way to work today, too.

I hadn't even had the car for a week and I already got a ticket. 59 in a 40. It all started when I went out to go to work and saw that the hood and windshield of my freshly-waxed car were covered in bird shit. So, I did what anyone else would've done - spray the shit off with the hose. I didn't have time to dry it, and thought the water would bead and blow off on the way to work.

We've been under a high pressure zone, and in 100 degree+ territory for the past week, for those northerners that just don't have a fucking clue what the climate is like down here this time of year. Any water left to the elements will evaporate within moments, leaving behind all the minerals, and leaving a nice, spotted pattern on your car.

Of course, I get stuck at a light, then behind some goddamn dump truck and a handicapped fucker in both lanes, and since I was already starting to see the water evaporate and leave spots, the moment I break free of said gridlock, I tried to dry off the car by driving it at my normal speed in that stretch.

It worked.

Not without a price, though.

10. Nauseous

Nauseous Active Member

What color is it? Black?

11. Joeslogic

Joeslogic Active Member

I got one of those cheap pressure washers at BigLots it works great for bird turds. I have used the hell out of that thing they are tough.

Some weird Scandinavian like name starts with a K

12. phatboy

phatboy New Member

Im not sure about the motor, the hood was held down with bungee chords. Im not a big fan of the Auto either.

I did kinda luck out on another deal. I got a 94 Sable for 300.00

Not that I need it. I was planning on giving my sister my Accord so she could drive it while she was going through a financial restructuring. But now I can give her the Sable!

Schwing!

13. Lomotil

Lomotil Active Member

I have a Karcher electric pressure washer - I know it works great on turds, too - but didn't have time to hook it up to both water and electricity before work (plus, wouldn't solve the drying problem, except for maybe leaving less water to dry.)

14. Lomotil

Lomotil Active Member

Shit - I lost my virginity in a Sable - no... wait, it was a Taurus. I guess I'm not that high-class. :frown:

15. phatboy

phatboy New Member

Its funny that the sable is a 95 and has less miles than my 90 accord and my accord is in soooo much better shape. Of course the green on green would drive me mad if I had to drive it on a regular basis.

It is not pimp.

I lost mine on this girls parents bed. It was odd. I guess her day bed was too squeeky.

But this has made me think of another cool thread to post in 'Cars'...

16. Lomotil

Lomotil Active Member

A well-laid plan, I might add... :biggrin:

17. phatboy

phatboy New Member

Yes, Indeed.

Well my Accord needs a new alternator, according to the guys at Advanced. Which is odd because I have been driving it for days and it hasnt died. I would figure if it wasnt charging the battery, the battery would eventually die.

Who knew?

I need to replace the belts anyway, so I might as well do it all at once.

18. Nauseous

Nauseous Active Member

I had an alternator go bad and lost my lights and everything. Car still ran, but barely. I drove home for 2 miles with no lights in the dark out in backwoods WV... no street lights. Luckily I knew the roads well. The speedmeter was flipping up and down... it was like the was possessed.

Then I got a new one and something was faulty with it and the car would idle at 25mph.

My first car was really nice inside and out but looking back, it ran like shit.

I have a pic of it somewhere. I'll have to dig it out.

Last edited: Jul 23, 2009
  19. Lomotil

Lomotil Active Member

Gotta love an alternator burnout. It's like you're talking to Scotty, as he starts turning on different warning lights on your dash, then your tachometer goes out, and you still feel the engine running... then the whole thing fades to black as you drive home...

20. phatboy

phatboy New Member

Hey, thats what happens with the sable, the speedometer jumps up and down like every half second. Not to the correct speed, over and down to 0, then back up. but it runs fine.

:)