In an attempt to enrich the quality...

Discussion in 'General Mayhem' started by Tojo Burbage, Sep 5, 2002.

1. Tojo Burbage

Tojo Burbage New Member

... of these forums, there is an old adage that goes something like 'there is a book in all of us'. As a starter for 10, i think my proposed tome would contain mostly stories of my failed attempts at being...

1. A Mountaineer.
    2. A Round-the-World yachtsman.
    3. A professional boxer.

But would include passages about me successfully...

1. Joining the Parachute Regiment
    2. Travelling around europe and the middle east.
    3. Growing skunk for profit.

Now that I'm fat, happy and on the wrong side of 30 I'm considering doing just that, but do you think you'd find it interesting? Be honest

2. Ministersf

Ministersf New Member

I've been trying to write a novel. It's hard. I'm 200 pages into it and I have no fucking idea what to do now. I have had a couple of short stories published and that was pretty easy. I would suggest scraping some chapters together, cutting them into short stories, and seeing if you can sell them. Or get a book on becoming an author and read it. It feels like you're accomplishing something but without working.

3. Tojo Burbage

Tojo Burbage New Member

Minister how long did it take you to write the 200 pages?

I think you're right though, it's going to be hard getting the chronology and the thread right, but I hear what you're saying about the 'short story' idea... watch this space.

4. kronoptic

kronoptic New Member

I am currently writing a novel as well. I am not very far along, but I'm taking it slow.

Anyway, to answer your question of whether or not the book would be interesting, it depends on how well you write it. I mean if they can write books about seemingly mundane and insignificant shit like climbing a mountain or going hunting etc, then absolutely. Remember that it's not a biography, or at least it doesn't have to be. What I'm getting at is it's okay to bend the truth or add things to keep it interesting. It comes down to how much energy you have.

5. Ministersf

Ministersf New Member

Well, I worked on it in the evenings a few nights a week so it's not like I was focused completely on the project. Sometimes I don't get around to it at all for weeks at a time. It took about 6 months.

6. Tojo Burbage

Tojo Burbage New Member

I think the 'style' would be of a free and easy approach rather than a meticulous approach to detail, and it would certainly be set in a humourous and self-effacing mood.

It's probably more a diary of the people I met and situations I got involved in, like meeting a one armed mountain climber (that's one thread in itself) and working with him for a few weeks... stuff like that.

7. Dwaine Scum

Dwaine Scum New Member

I should write a book ... you might be surprised at what you might find out... then again, maybe not

8. theonlylivingboy

theonlylivingboy New Member

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="verdana">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Dubya G Grace:
    [B.......A professional boxer.

Joining the Parachute Regiment

[/B]<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Fuckin hell, boxer? para? You must be well fuckin tasty, I hope to fuck you never catch me banging your wife.

9. Tojo Burbage

Tojo Burbage New Member

not a problem she fucked off years ago after i shagged her sister... and I can tell you my training came in handy then