I'm proud of myself

Discussion in 'Technology' started by Nauseous, Feb 24, 2009.

1. Nauseous

Nauseous Active Member

I installed a new stereo in my car all by myself and I didn't get electrocuted! That was my big fear. I did jam a screwdriver into my leg, but it didn't hurt much.

It was surprisingly easy. The hardest part was getting the plastic off of the old stereo to put on the new one. Those metal prong things are a bitch to try to bend back down. That's how the screwdriver ended up in my leg, but like I said, it didn't hurt much.

Now my stereo display matches my dash! The old stereo was blue/green and the new one glows red like my dash. That was the only reason I wanted the new one. The old one was fine, just didn't match. This was easier than buying new glo gauges and installing them, that's for sure. I can't wait until dark time so I can go out and sit in my car in the driveway with the lights on. :eek:

2. BigEddie

BigEddie New Member

Did you get one with an auxillary output?

3. ucicare

ucicare Active Member

Pretty impressive. (for a girl)

4. Lomotil

Lomotil Active Member

Sounds like you had a Delco factory stereo meant for any other GM product with the green dashboard lights, and you found another Delco, but a Pontiac version for your car - if it has the Monsoon logo on it, it should be great, although I think once their contract ran out, they kept making them to the same specs anyway. Does it have that extra dial under the volume knob that has something to do with adjusting the volume of the stereo according to how fast the engine is going to compensate for road noise?

What year is your car, and what did the original stereo come out of? Can you post a pic of the old one?

5. Lomotil

Lomotil Active Member

And yeah, Barry hit the nail on the head. ;)

6. Lomotil

Lomotil Active Member

"Auxiliary" typically refers to an input (sometimes abbreviated "AUX IN") and not an output. This is something that would be used to directly feed audio into the head unit via a cable for either an MP3 player or other device.

If you're talking about an output, there are "Line level outputs" (commonly coined "RCA Out" jacks, on the back of the unit.) Those are used to deliver an non-amplified signal to an external amplifier, typically for adding subwoofers, while still providing amplified signals to the main car speakers.

Factory decks, which it sounds like this one is (based on her talk about the 'prongs' and no mention of any changes to the wiring,) are starting to incorporate the "AUX IN" 3.5mm plug on the face, but rarely come with "RCA Out" jacks in the back.

Terminology, son... Terminology.

7. BigEddie

BigEddie New Member

8. Nauseous

Nauseous Active Member

Yes. It has auxillary, but so did the old one. I need it for my Zune.

I didn't change out the factory. The factory was already replaced. I did that years ago at Circuit City. The factory was a Delco and it did match, it was the replacement SONY (heh) that didn't match the dash, so I replaced it with another SONY.

Is it harder to replace the factory? Because this was super easy except for the plastic part. I was just going to break it off and buy a new one but I persisted and it paid off. Although there is a little metal visible behind the faceplate because I wasn't strong enough or brave enough to bend the prongs back up.

9. phatboy

phatboy New Member

So what are you going to do with the sony? I could use a decent CD player for my Nissan. As long as it reads CD-Rs.

Replacing the factory isnt that hard in most vehicles. As long as you get the mounting kit (usually the single DIN aftermarket stereos are smaller than the OEM ones) and the wiring harness. The one in my 05 Dodge I swapped out in about 10 minutes. There was 1 screw holding the dash trim piece, the rest of it just popped out with clips, then there were two screws holding it into the dash. Pulled those two, slid the radio out, unplugged the harness 's (it had two) and the antanae (SP), I had already attached the harness to the new radioa, and mounted it in the replacement bracket , plugged up the harnesses and antannae (SP) slid the radio in, put in the two screws, popped the dash trim back on and was done (after putting the last screw back in).

10. Nauseous

Nauseous Active Member

Actually, I was going to keep it in case something breaks or I get another car and want to put a new stereo in it.

The wiring harness was already done and I used the old mounting kit. That's what was such a bitch to get removed. Yeah, it would have taken me about 5-10 minutes start to finish if I had a new mounting kit.

11. Nauseous

Nauseous Active Member

I have diagnosed my dryer as needing the rear drum bearing replaced. If I didn't feel like shit, I would try to tackle that one too.

12. Lomotil

Lomotil Active Member

For this, I offer the simple solution: A clothesline.

13. Nauseous

Nauseous Active Member

It's February. My clothes would freeze.

14. phatboy

phatboy New Member

Yes, but you wouldnt need to iron, or starch them.

Dryers are pretty easy to work on. Just make sure you unplug it before you go poking around with a screwdriver. Do you have an appliance parts store? We have one that sells parts for everything, and cheap. It sucks because if you call someone to repair it they charge 50.00 - 75.00 right off the top, then charge 20.00 for a 2.00 part (when I worked for my friends dad we would charge about a 1000% markup on parts, it was sad) I should take that back, not on all parts, but on like the small crappy ones like washers and 'seats' for sinks, we would pay .49 for one and charge 10-15, the washers we got 100s for 2.50 or so and charged a dollar a washer.

15. Nauseous

Nauseous Active Member

It's 26 bucks (locally) for the rear drum bearing kit. I can get it on ebay for 7 bucks but I don't want to dick with it. I need to dry my clothes!! I've got wet clothes in the washer that have been sitting. I'm going to have to wash them again and probably add odoban to the wash if they stink. It drives me crazy knowing that they are in there, festering...

16. phatboy

phatboy New Member

Do you keep you house really cold? You could hang them up in the laundry room to let them airdry.

17. BIGMAMA

BIGMAMA New Member

18. Nauseous

Nauseous Active Member

I dry everything. Nothing ever seems to shrink except for those cheap PJs a while back.

My garage is my laundry room. One day the plan is to close that area off and make it a half bath/laundry room combo, but until then, it's just a garage and it's not heated because I am afraid to use the electric baseboard heaters.

19. phatboy

phatboy New Member

Baseboard heaters suck, and they cost a lot to run. My moms house up in the mountains of TN has them, we just put in a woodburning stove to heat the house (its small), but she is saving a ton of money.

20. Nauseous

Nauseous Active Member

They are only in the garage, thank god. The rest if forced/central air.