I'm getting close...

Discussion in 'Drinking' started by JEFE, Aug 26, 2008.

1. JEFE

JEFE New Member

So far I've brewed an IPA, a California style Imperial Pale Ale and now I have something I made up myself (a 'gingered ale') in the fermentor.

It's a relatively strong, hoppy ale with about two ounces of fresh ground ginger added to the boiling wort.

The IPA came out ok, but a little weak on alcohol and a little bitter because of the hops I used.

I haven't bottled the Imperial one yet but the gravity readings say it will be at about 8.3% ABV and it smells delicious so far.

The Gingered one I just made on Sunday and it's bubbling away in the carboy but my whole kitchen smells like malt, hops and ginger... which indicates it might be good.

Do any of you home-brew out there? I need some new recipes to try. I have a few ideas but they're all a little over the top and I really need to get some kind of a mashing tub put together because all of these extracts cost a ton.

Does anyone know how much malted barley (mashed) equals a pound of powdered extract? I can't find any info on that.

And if anyone wants to trade a few finished bottles, let me know. I need second opinions.

2. Lomotil

Lomotil Active Member

Naaaaw... We pretty much huff ether 'round these parts... ;)

3. JEFE

JEFE New Member

That explains a lot of what you post here. :)

4. Lomotil

Lomotil Active Member

Wow... I must have been drifting across some cosmic planes recently, I never even noticed this reply...

Actually, I must digress... Any Ether I should happen upon would theoretically be saved for extracting choice organic compounds from large quantities of Morning Glory seeds. At least Petroleum Ether, that is. Diethyl is another story. :)