IE security flaw

Discussion in 'Technology' started by homer, Dec 17, 2008.

1. homer

homer Member

2. Lomotil

Lomotil Active Member

Who uses IE, anyway? :rolleyes:

3. homer

homer Member

You're definitely right there Lomo.I don't know why I didn't try Firefox long ago.:frown:

4. nolo451

nolo451 New Member

not that I use IE, but downloaded the patch today.

I use Firefox>Chrome>IE(very rare)

5. Nauseous

Nauseous Active Member

I use it. I feel like people claim that don't use it so they can make comments about people using it. Much like people who like MAC just because it's MAC and they want to be different.

I tried other stuff and hated it. If I get used to something, that's what I use. I'm a creature of habit. I don't care if it's "uncool" to use IE.

Take the power cord out of your asses you bunch of snobs. :mad:

Thanks for the info, homer. :)

6. homer

homer Member

No problem ,this is the latest on the flaw.

SAN FRANCISCO (AFP) - Microsoft on Wednesday released an emergency patch to fix a perilous software flaw allowing hackers to hijack Internet Explorer browsers and take over computers.

The US software giant said security update MS08-078 addresses a vulnerability cyber-criminals can exploit to their advantage.

"Microsoft encourages all IE customers to test and deploy this update as soon as possible," said Microsoft security response communications head Christopher Budd.

The threat posed by the IE flaw led Microsoft to mobilize security engineering teams worldwide to deliver a software cure "in the unprecedented time of eight days."

According to researchers at software security firm Trend Micro, attacks based on the vulnerability in the world's most popular Web browser were spreading "like wildfire" with millions of computers already compromised.

Microsoft typically releases patches for its software on the second Tuesday of each month and rushing this fix to computer users out-of-cycle is testimony to the severe danger of the threat, according to Trend Micro.

"When the patch is released people should run, not walk, to get it installed," said Trend Micro advanced threat researcher Paul Ferguson.

"This vulnerability is being actively exploited by cyber-criminals and getting worse every day."

I think I'll stick with Firefox.

7. nolo451

nolo451 New Member

Its not that I dislike it because its uncool or whatever. I like the fact that you can customize the browser to your own needs and its so simple. I cant ever go back to using IE or something like that without the add-ons I've grown accustomed to using. I love blocking ads, auto-copy, and linkification add-ons. Its not a mere Mac is better than PC argument, in my mind it really is. When you are offered two choices to go online, I'd rather have one tailored to my needs and with add-ons that people create every day.

I used to be like you, so comfortable with IE and afraid(I was anyway) to try something else, but after a week of nonstop use, I was hooked.

8. Lomotil

Lomotil Active Member

My power cord protrudes opposite from my ass, thank you.

I think someone touched on it - it's not a "cool" thing to "rise up against the man" and use a browser that isn't Microsoft... It is just this: better, more secure, and certainly more customizable. Find a YouTube video you want to save before Viacom removes it - just click a button. Disable advertising on websites - no need to click a button, it does it for you. Avoid a security flaw - again, no need to scramble for an update.

And - that's just what I use to browse. For anything anyhow closely relating to pertinent, personal information (of which I rarely engage online) - Safari is the way to go.

(And, yes. It is a Mac thing.) ;)

9. Nauseous

Nauseous Active Member

Lah-tee-dah. If someone thinks stealing my idenity will get them anywhere, they are in for a real shocker.