I Guess I Have Something in Common With IMC

Discussion in 'General Mayhem' started by Ministersf, Aug 6, 2002.

1. Ministersf

Ministersf New Member

So yesterday, some of my company's production staff called in sick. I just happen to know how to operate a CNC Laser machine so I jumped out onto the floor and ground out some parts between inspections and meetings.

CULTURAL ASIDE:
    {Now the Americans will instinctively get the humor in an engineer trying to run a production machine but those in the UK might not. In the UK, engineers are over-educated machinists, so the idea of one of them making product is not all that far off base. Here in the states, however, engineers are over-educated CAD draftsmen who are notoriously uncoordinated.}

Anyway, laser people tend to lose feeling for heat in their hands due to all the handling of hot metal parts that they do. Often your hands have to start smoking before you notice that you are being burned (I know it sounds crazy but they do). So, the point is... I figured IMC, who works with glass (melting temp around 3000 degrees), must have a similar condition.

That's it. That's the whole point of this thread. Your turn now. Go.

2. Dwaine Scum

Dwaine Scum New Member

you are correct... working with glass, you will be tooling along and all of a sudden *sniff, sniff* "what the fuck is burning?"

"oh shit, its my hand!!!" you smell burns before you feel them... you are right, it fucking sucks...

3. Tojo Burbage

Tojo Burbage New Member

I've burnt my fingers lighting my spliffs... does that count?

4. Tojo Burbage

Tojo Burbage New Member

Also I have read the comic strip 'Dilbert' for many years now and I understand completely the meaning of the word engineer in its US meaning.

However Minister I'm sure you're not a cubicle worker...

5. Ministersf

Ministersf New Member

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="verdana">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Dubya's Shit Pit:
    However Minister I'm sure you're not a cubicle worker... <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Nope, not a cubilce. I have an office. It has a window that looks at a parking lot and another building. It's right next to the bathroom so I hear people flush all day. Dust and greasy smoke from the shop slips through my door and stains everything.

* Makes the sign for playing sad violin music *

6. tommy710

tommy710 Active Member

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="verdana">quote
    Oh god iv done that too this is getting scary now.

7. GreenAppleSplatters

GreenAppleSplatters New Member

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="verdana">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Serial Rapist Formally Known as IMC:
    you are correct... working with glass, you will be tooling along and all of a sudden *sniff, sniff* "what the fuck is burning?"

"oh shit, its my hand!!!" you smell burns before you feel them... you are right, it fucking sucks...
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I cook for a living,so burns are a constant thing for me.I don't even feel them anymore,I just wonder when I got that new blister on my hand.

8. Dwaine Scum

Dwaine Scum New Member

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="verdana">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by GreenAppleSplatters:
    I cook for a living,so burns are a constant thing for me.I don't even feel them anymore,I just wonder when I got that new blister on my hand.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

yeah i have that happen alot too...

9. GreenAppleSplatters

GreenAppleSplatters New Member

And the scars...oh the scars.I could take an hour counting all of them.

10. Lomotil

Lomotil Active Member

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="verdana">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Minister Saint-Fond:
    * Makes the sign for playing sad violin music *<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

11. Tojo Burbage

Tojo Burbage New Member

This thread has made me weep for the brave boys you are, for carrying on in such adverse and testing conditions... sniff... god bless you all...

12. pimpchichi

pimpchichi Active Member

i have learned to keep my hands out of the path of falling hot flux... solder ain't too bad, it just bounces off(unless it goes down your sleeve), but flux sticks on you and runs down your hand/arm leaving a nice blister trail...

13. Ministersf

Ministersf New Member