Hey you! Nerd! Help me....

Discussion in 'Technology' started by GAS, Jan 21, 2009.

1. GAS

GAS New Member

So I recently had to reinstall windows. Windows made a backup file of all my shit and I can't reinstall any of it. There's 20gigs of all my crap sitting there staring me in the face and I can't get to any of it.

There's some fairly important work stuff in there plus I'd like to get my damn music back as well.

Tell me what to do! Go go go!!

2. Joeslogic

Joeslogic Active Member

XP Pro?

I bet its simply file protection. Its the same reason why people on different profiles are unable to see other peoples "My Documents" folder. You do not have access rights to it. In a domain network someone with admin rights could go in and re-add the new you to have rights to the files.

There is a fix I forget what it is. Probably log on as admin and change the rights.

3. GAS

GAS New Member

Home edition actually. There's only one profile and I'm the admin.

4. Reizvolles

Reizvolles Active Member

What utility did you use to back it up? Windows or 3rd party?

5. phatboy

phatboy New Member

Yea, Im thinking file protection, maybe do the check the properties to see if there is any security on it. Why didnt you just burn DVDs and store em that way? Thats usually what I do every 3 months or so.

6. GAS

GAS New Member

Windows, I've been checking around and all I've seen are horror stories about how terrible windows backup programs are and I'm starting to see why.

I'll have a looksee. I didn't back anything up myself because I have fairly tight security on my comp, viruses were my only concern so I beefed it up pretty well. Fucking fatal windows errors!

7. Reizvolles

Reizvolles Active Member

Try locating a .bkf repair tool if things are that important. You'd probably have to pay for a good one, about 100 bucks.