Got a 2008 Ninja for a steal

Discussion in 'Cars' started by BigEddie, Jun 22, 2009.

1. BigEddie

BigEddie New Member

My brother's friend bought a brand new motorycle (ninja 250) last year and only put 1000 miles on it. HE wanted to see it I guess because he didnt like riding, so he told my brother, who told me and I convinced him to let me have it for $2500 and half a years yard maintenance ( I have tons of gardening tools and a professional mower). Not the best bike out there, but I will ride it a bit and sell it for maybe $1,000 more or something.

Pretty nice bike though, I wish all bikes had fuel gauges on them like this one. I hate having to reset the trip buttton on the mileage to see how many miles Ive driven before I need to do a fill er up.

2. phatboy

phatboy New Member

Those things are hard to sell. Does it have the lower fairing on it? The 250 is a great starter bike, but so is a 600. If it doesnt look like the 600, make it look like it, that will help you make some dough on it.

Plus if you ride it you will save a ton on gas. Just dont pull out in front of traffic thinking you will take off and out run them.

3. Joeslogic

Joeslogic Active Member

Phats right about that but it is a fun little bike to ride around town for cheap. You can prolly break even selling it I doubt you will make money on it.

Who knows though I could be wrong.

4. BigEddie

BigEddie New Member

Ive checked Craigslist and so far, I saw 5 ads on the same bike (varying mileage) and I inquired after they had sold and most told me they sold for near/over $3K. This one only has a thousand miles. Must be that they sell good around here? Anyways, I already have a 5 year old GS500, so Im set with a bike, but I think i can sell it for a small profit, if not even in a few months.

Weirdest thing, at the gas station these two guys asked if I was selling it, so I hope thats a sign of things to come. Crossing my fingers.

5. Joeslogic

Joeslogic Active Member

Cool deal then I hope you do make a little bit. Those must be popular over there. What do I know anyways I know I'm getting tired of my Ninja and wishing I had got a cruiser. My knees start to hurt after a long ride. Maybe 2-3 hours or more.

6. phatboy

phatboy New Member

Yea, you are getting old.

:)

I have been thinking of getting a Harley, but I keep putting it off. I dont know which one I want. Plus the fact that I think the 883 Sportster looks better than the rest of them is sad. The 1200 Sportster I dont care for because of the high skinny gas tank, not sure why they couldnt just put the 1200 on the 883 frame.

The only issue I have had with Sport Bikes is the riding position. The last one I had was a Katana 750 and it had to be the most comfortable 'sport' bike out there. I put sport in quotes because I dont think performance wise it can hang with a real sport bike (ZX6R would smoke it) but it was quick (after I put on a V&H 4-1 header and Jet Kit) and sounded good. It rode really comfortable and I could ride it for hours.

7. Joeslogic

Joeslogic Active Member

8. Joeslogic

Joeslogic Active Member

9. Lomotil

Lomotil Active Member

Damn... I wish my bitch could go that long before complaining about her knees...

10. Lomotil

Lomotil Active Member

Seriously, though -

I have never owned, nor driven, a motorcycle - but I might be poised to acquire a 'starter bike' soon. It's an '02 Ninja, 250cc, 11K miles, turned on it's side once.

The bike is currently in the garage of a mechanic I know, owned by a broad that may not even want the damn thing, and I'm thinking I can score a starter bike for a fairly reasonable cost if the mechanic puts a lien on the title.

What would be a fair price for me to offer?

11. phatboy

phatboy New Member

I would say 750 - 1000.

That way if you keep it a year or two you can still get your money back out of it. Usually these bikes are purchased rode for a couple of months then traded in for a bigger one.

Looks like MSRP on a New 09 250R Ninja is right at 4000.

http://www.cycletrader.com/find/sea...inja 250/Zip-30909/Radius-any/Sort-Price:ASC/

There are some other bikes sprinkled in there, not a real refined search.

12. Lomotil

Lomotil Active Member

As apeshit and hogwild as I've gotten with guns, I can surely see the trend following me if I do end up with this bike. Simple pleasures give me that adrenaline rush these days, and whether that means seeing how many wet phone books a projectile can travel through, or how many cement barricades my helmet will bounce off of, I just don't know right now.

I'm on the fence right now. Earnestly.

13. Joeslogic

Joeslogic Active Member

14. Lomotil

Lomotil Active Member

Honestly, to me, that seems like something worth staying up for, not waking up early for.

Precisely why I want this one. I've done some stupid shit in my day, and if the trend continues, I'd prefer it be on a 250 than what you are talking about here:

I see something like that, and I just want to have someone weld a holster for my 8-shot 12-ga Mossberg on the side. Read: dangerous.

15. Joeslogic

Joeslogic Active Member

Hehe! :biggrin:

I rode a V-Max my god what a piece of work that bike is. It was when I had first got my Honda Nighthawk and went to show it off to a friend who was a few years older and had a V-Max he asked if he could ride my Honda and I said sure if you give me the keys to your V-Max and he tossed em to me. I did not think he would but Danny was one crazy SOB.

I have respect for the V-Max.

The 250 would be a great bike to tool around town in and to have a spare if you had friend come down to San Antonio. ;)

Then you can get yourself a bad ass cruiser.

16. Lomotil

Lomotil Active Member

Make sure to bring a passenger, too...

It'll be just like old times!