Franken kicks some conservative ass.

Discussion in 'Politics' started by StackedDeck, Oct 22, 2009.

1. StackedDeck

StackedDeck New Member

Statistics show that nearly 62% of ALL bankruptcies in the US is caused by medical bills. That is a staggering amount. Of course conservatives see no problem there, the free-market should decide who gets medical treatment I guess.

So there was that hearing in which this woman said: "If you reform healthcare, the rate of bankruptcies associated with medical bills will go up".
    Somebody is gonna have to explain that one to me because I really don't see how that's possible. If you stop paying for medical treatment, how are you gonna accumulate debt for it?

So sen Al Franken decides to school that nutjob in basic finances.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lK_NZOhbUnk&feature=sub

Last edited: Oct 22, 2009
  2. Joeslogic

Joeslogic Active Member

How many die when the life savers go Gault?

http://www.humanevents.com/article.php?id=33937

Atlas Shrugs: Doctors ‘Going Galt’
    by Ralph R. Reiland
    10/13/2009

The headline in Investor’s Business Daily, Sept. 16, 2009: “45% of Doctors Would Consider Quitting If Congress Passes Health Care Overhaul.”

The headline in the Boston Globe, Sept. 28, 2009: “States risk it, raise tax on rich.”

The problem with four of nine U.S. doctors saying they “would consider leaving their practice or taking an early retirement” is that “the number of doctors is already lagging population growth,” reports IBD.

Add millions of new patients to a shrinking supply of doctors and the obvious result is an English-style queue, longer waits in pain, and a centrally directed rationing of service.

That Boston Globe article on soaking the rich explains that New York’s increased confiscation of income from the “deep-pocketed rich” through higher taxes is producing a “millionaires’ exit.”

Said New York’s lieutenant governor, Richard Ravitch, regarding the flight of the state’s millionaires and the decline in government revenues that has already occurred as a result of the higher tax rates: “People aren’t wedded to a geographic place as they once were.”

In Atlas Shrugged, a novel by Ayn Rand, the most productive and creative citizens in the United States -- the innovators, risk-takers, artists, entrepreneurs, capitalists, intellectuals, industrialists -- overturn the conventional concept of victimhood and go on strike, refusing any longer to be exploited by society, refusing to be demonized as too successful, too rich, too individualistic, too free.

Led by John Galt, the novel’s hero, the industrious organize a strike against the ever-expanding yoke of government coercion. They strike to halt the murder of man’s spirit, to halt the confiscation of man’s work, to defend individualism, reason, liberty, human achievement and the market economy.

They strike by mysteriously disappearing, by withdrawing their productivity from society, by withdrawing their minds and ingenuity, in a walkout that Galt describes as “stopping the motor of the world.”

Near the climax of the novel, Galt takes over a radio broadcast to reveal the strike and its rationale, explain why society has collapsed into an ever-growing crisis of scarcity and misery, and deliver a manifesto for liberty to a corrupt society:

I am the man who has deprived you of victims and thus has destroyed your world...

All the men who have vanished, the men you hated, yet dreaded to lose, it is I who have taken them away from you. We are on strike against self-immolation. We are on strike against the creed of unearned rewards and unrewarded duties. We are on strike against the dogma that the pursuit of one’s happiness is evil. We are on strike against the doctrine that life is guilt …

You have sacrificed justice to mercy. You have sacrificed independence to unity. You have sacrificed reason to faith. You have sacrificed wealth to need. You have sacrificed self-esteem to self-denial. You have sacrificed happiness to duty ...

Your ideal had an implacable enemy, which your code of morality was designed to destroy. I have withdrawn that enemy. I have taken it out of your way and out of your reach. I have removed the source of all those evils you were sacrificing one by one. I have ended your battle. I have stopped your motor. I have deprived your world of man’s mind ...

While you were dragging to your sacrificial altars the men of justice, of independence, of reason, of wealth, of self-esteem, I beat you to it -- I reached them first. I told them the nature of the game you were playing and the nature of that moral code of yours, which they had been too innocently generous to grasp ...

There is a difference between our strike and all those you’ve practiced for centuries: our strike consists, not of making demands, but of granting them. We are evil, according to your morality. We have chosen not to harm you any longer. We are useless, according to your economics. We have chosen not to exploit you any longer. We are dangerous and to be shackled, according to your politics. We have chosen not to endanger you, nor to wear the shackles any longer.

The inauguration of Barack Obama took place on Jan. 20, 2009. The Economist magazine reported that week that Atlas Shrugged, published in 1957, had moved up to 33rd place among Amazon’s top-selling books.

3. StackedDeck

StackedDeck New Member

There is no denial that there is a problem Joe.
    If it was all in the liberals' minds, people wouldn't have elected them. There are millions of people going through everyday without health coverage.

We all heard the stories; toddler denied because he is too "fat", toddler denied for being too "skinny", woman was denied coverage for cancer because she had acne as a teen and that's a "pre-existing condition", and the practice that health insurance companies use to deny people coverage: recsission, if you want to make a claim because you are sick, the company will look back in your files and if you ever made one mistake filling out those forms: mispelling, wrong date, accidently writing in the wrong space, etc... you get denied coverage.

Anyone with common sense knows that health insurance companies are getting greedy, at the expense of people's lives.

Wait until a loved one goes through that hell. There is a problem and it needs fixing. Or do it the conservative way: hope that the free-market will cure your cancer.

4. Joeslogic

Joeslogic Active Member

How many bankruptcies in the US are caused by joblessness?

Go did that one up for me should be easy right?

5. Joeslogic

Joeslogic Active Member

Socialized medicine cures cancer?

WOW! :eek:

6. StackedDeck

StackedDeck New Member

But it's medical coverage. Better that than none at all wouldn't you say?

7. StackedDeck

StackedDeck New Member

Off topic.

8. Joeslogic

Joeslogic Active Member

Your words:

My words:

Your defense is:

:rolleyes:

9. StackedDeck

StackedDeck New Member

Bankruptcies are caused by amounting debt, lots of rich folks can end up bankrupt: Donal Trump, Frank Stronach, George Foreman, etc...

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/09/17/business/yourmoney/17broke.html

Joblessness is not necessarily a factor in bankruptcy, amounting medical bills are.

10. StackedDeck

StackedDeck New Member

The topic was Healthcare reform, which was tied to the video I linked.
    You talk about joblessness .

11. Joeslogic

Joeslogic Active Member

Bankruptcies are caused by slowing economy, lots of rich folks can end up bankrupt: Donal Trump, Frank Stronach, George Foreman, etc...

Medical bills are not necessarily a factor in bankruptcy, paying bills with earned money are.

12. StackedDeck

StackedDeck New Member

Some parents give birth to a child with Spina-Bifida; multiple surgeries are required, rehabilitation is required, and life-long support is also required. Insurance companies consider these treatments to be "experimental", or only cover 25% of the total cost. What do the parents do with all the mounting bills?

People don't choose to be sick, Joe. No matter how well-off you are, if you get denied on a technicality, you're fucked. The same goes for everybody.

13. Joeslogic

Joeslogic Active Member

Life is a bitch?

Yeah you got that right. That a no shitter man.

So if we socialize medicine then life will cease being a bitch anymore?

What happens to an Albanian family when they have a baby with Spina-Bifida? They got socialized medicine over there.

14. StackedDeck

StackedDeck New Member

Life won't cease to be a bitch, but at least you don't have to worry about healthcare companies stabbing you in the back when you need them the most. At least you have healthcare no matter what. What is so wrong with that? I want you to tell me why giving everyone healthcare is bad. Don't you want your fellow americans to get the same treatment as everyone else? Aren't we all created equal? It's not about redistribution of wealth, it's about having a decent healthcare system where everybody is welcome. England has it and they are not communist, so does France, Germany, Canada, Japan.

15. Joeslogic

Joeslogic Active Member

Yeah and in England, France, Canada more people die because of their inferior health care system.

If socialized medicine is established the clinics will be so full of dropout who pay nothing into the system that the typical middle class person will have to work more hours to pay for them.

You will have to take one maybe two days off work to get a simple flu shot because every welfare mom on the block is camped out at the place with their little brood of welfare babies. And they are not even paying anything.

And anyways.

What happens to an Albanian family when they have a baby with Spina-Bifida? They got socialized medicine over there.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2009
  16. StackedDeck

StackedDeck New Member

It's a misconception, people don't die waiting in ER in other countries. I found a list of countries ranked by the quality of their healthcare, it's from the World Health Organization

http://www.photius.com/rankings/healthranks.html

United-States rank 37 barely beating Slovania, Canada is 30, France is first and Italy second. Both of these countries have socialized healthcare.

17. Joeslogic

Joeslogic Active Member

The WHO wow man. Why not just ask Vladamire Pootin?

Or my next door neighbor Ed. :rolleyes:

So if you get cancer you just fly on over there to France for your treatment. Or better yet Slovenia. :biggrin:

Dumbass.

18. StackedDeck

StackedDeck New Member

Do you know of a better list than the WHO's? An international assembly of doctors in medecine isn't good enough for you? And for the record I despise Russia, Putin is an evil fuck that's trying to bring back the red curtain over Russia. Besides, if I get cancer and my conservative health care company denies me coverage, I will fly to fucking Albania and say: Allelujah!
    Better that than dying, no?

19. Joeslogic

Joeslogic Active Member

Conservative health care company :confused:

20. phatboy

phatboy New Member

Have fun slowly dying in albania.

Maybe when you google something you should look for both sides and not just the one that supports your claims. WHO rankings explained....

http://smartgirlnation.com/2009/06/popular-ranking-unfairly-misrepresents-the-us-health-care-system/

Now wipe your chin you got a little liberal 'man chowdah' dripping off it.