Florida offshore drilling poll

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Joeslogic, Sep 17, 2008.

1. Joeslogic

Joeslogic Active Member

For the record the oil to be found is to be found in the Gulf of Mexico.

Florida Voters Energy Poll

Distributed by Cong. Adam Putnam, 12th District

Energy poll results
    Last time I invited you to tell me what you think we should do to improve America's energy security. The results are in:

1 percent said we should add more oil refineries.

3 percent said we should increase oil and gas exploration

18 percent said we should develop more renewable and alternative sources of energy, and...

77 percent said "all of the above."

2. Lomotil

Lomotil Active Member

The only problem (aside from finding alternative sources of propulsion, take the HHO experiment, for example, which won't see the light of funding for quite some time), in dealing with our dependence on foreign oil seems to reside in the extraction of it from either the Gulf, or Alaska.

If we are to continue to use petroleum as our source of fuel, Alaska is our best bet. Palin in the White House will most likely see to it. The Gulf, on the other hand, brings it's own brand of stipulations into the cost analysis scheme.

Building oil extraction facilities in an area that is prone to hurricanes adds a new level of risk to the whole game. It's ironic, really, when we realize that there's this deposit of oil underneath a body of water in close proximity, that *just happens* to have been a pathway for an un-ignorable quantity of 'natural disasters' recently.

Without going into any specifics, I'm assuming that the scientific concurrence regarding the frequency of hurricanes and the level of CO2 in the atmosphere is considered?

Drilling in the Gulf will only be a short-term solution to our problems.

Any facilities we could build would no doubt be destroyed by 'natural' phenomenon, such as Ike, Katrina, etc., ad nauseum.

Then, where would that leave us? Back to the drawing boards, of course. :rolleyes:

3. Joeslogic

Joeslogic Active Member

Lomo when they speak of how much oil is there (gulf or anywhere else) they are speaking of proven reserves and this number qould potentially be 10 times greater.

Also if the price would stabalize at just over 100.00 a barrel then we could use Shale oil and there are proven reserves to last the next few hundred years.

Look up oilshalegas.com and see

4. bubbacurly

bubbacurly New Member

Hi Joe. Is that enough to supply the US or the World with oil for the next several hundred years?

Thanks.

5. Lomotil

Lomotil Active Member

Joe,

I'm not disputing the fact that the reserves are there. I'm simply drawing a parallel between the idea of Gulf drilling, coupled with the statistical data that confirms more hurricanes passing through that region than normal, and factoring into the whole equation that utilizing the black gold that we're seeking just might contribute to the increase in the frequency of hurricanes that pass through here.

I see that in order to sustain society, we can't switch to alternative sources of fuel overnight. If I had my druthers, I'd drill at home to provide petroleum during the transition, but focus every effort to make that switch.

Let's assume, for a moment, that our usage of fossil fuels has absolutely no impact in the environment. Global warming is strictly a myth, and it's part of our solar system's natural cycle. (Again, a possibility, but one I'm not sold on.)

Even with the above scenario, we are consuming oil at a faster rate than it's being produced by the planet. There will be a point in time, when we've exhausted our supply of oil (worldwide,) and a complete calamity will ensue when we finally realize this.

I would hope that any rational thinker might agree with me when I say that we should invest in exploring alternative sources for energy and propulsion. Either way (Global warming vs. running out of oil) - there needs to be a solution. It's imperative that we fix it now, if not for our own sake, for the survival of our species.

6. Joeslogic

Joeslogic Active Member

Two major hurricanes and very little spillage well three really Katrina, Rita, Ike.

New measures in place allow the rigs to un-couble if they anticipate a problem and just reconnect once the storm clears.

7. Joeslogic

Joeslogic Active Member

Bubba

AFAIK the so called experts are saying enough for us for the next few hundred years. The catch is that some of the oil for example the oil in Wyoming is so deep its costly to retrieve. If oil sustained a cost of say 130.00 up then it would be feasible. The Baken reserves are retrievable at a cost of just over 100 using a different technology.

I say tariff imported oil maybe 70 dollars a drum and give the oil companies incentive to dill domestically. If we are going to pay out the ass then fine but no sense in paying people who hate us.

8. Lomotil

Lomotil Active Member

Joe, I'm not opposed to domestic oil production. It will be absolutely necessary in the coming years, and I hope it's only planned as a temporary solution.

#1. We need to eliminate dependence on foreign oil.

#2. We (unfortunately) must exploit our own reserves to achieve #1.

#3. We owe it to ourselves to exploit any other possible means of energy, propulsion, productivity, and productivity, even if it means "number 2-ing" on our profit margin in the process.

9. Joeslogic

Joeslogic Active Member

Oh heck yeah that’s why my plan works. When ever we ramp up domestic production projects they tweak the price to pull the carpet out from under investors. So Fuck them we tariff the shit out of their imported oil. If they want to gat back to 20.00 a barrel and thus yank the rug out from under domestic oil exploration then fine. We do not tax at the pump we tax at the source of foreign import.

Mean while we stabilize the oil price and create an environment conducive to domestic oil exploration and development of new oil fields. There is PLENTY of oil available. I believe the issue with the off shore oil is that it is the easiest to get to and pay off the best profit return for the investment of getting it. But the amount available pales in comparison to what’s available in the oil sands and oil shale deposits. The cost of extracting the oil is however prohibitive.

10. Lomotil

Lomotil Active Member

What do you predict will be our next main source of fuel, aside from oil?

11. Joeslogic

Joeslogic Active Member

I'm thinking Hydrogen fuel cells.